After The Open Society: Selected Social and…

After The Open Society: Selected Social and Political Writings

by Karl Popper

16None615,960 (5)None

No reviews
In this collection, we have assembled what seem to us the most significant among Popper's unpublished and uncollected papers on social and political issues. In so doing, we have tried to make available to the reader a range of material from which various aspects of Popper's social and political thought may be discerned. We have, for the most part, included only material that existed in a completed or almost completed form. Some working notes and drafts of papers have been reproduced, though generally as supplements to material that is complete. There are also a few items from Popper's correspondence that are of particular interest in relation to the development of his political thought. Finally, we have tried to include unpublished material cited in the course of scholarly discussions of Popper's work, as well as a few items from the Popper Library at the University of Klagenfurt that have so far gone unnoticed by scholars, but which may be of some interest.

[From Jeremy Shearmur and Piers Norris Turner's "Editorial Introduction: The Character and Scope of This Volume" (2008: [viii])]
The theory of knowledge is at the very heart of philosophy; not only of the philosophy of science, but also of ethics, political philosophy, and even the philosophy of art. This, no doubt, is at least partly due to the fact what [sic] whenever we try to justify any of our assertions, we begin to wonder whether our justifications are valid. In this way we are led to think about the justification of our assertions, our beliefs, our theories, and our hypotheses. And the resulting theories of justification form what is called the theory of knowledge (or epistemology).

[From Karl Popper's "Optimist, Pessimist and Pragmatist Views of Scientific Knowledge" (1963/2008: [3])]

Purchased from Scarthin bookshop - Cromford

In this long-awaited volume, Jeremy Shearmur and Piers Norris Turner bring to light Popper's most important unpublished and uncollected writings from the time of The Open Society until his death in 1994.

After The Open Society: Selected Social and Political Writings reveals the development of Popper's political and philosophical thought during and after the Second World War, from his early socialism through to the radical humanitarianism of The Open Society. The papers in this collection, many of which are available here for the first time, demonstrate the clarity and pertinence of Popper's thinking on such topics as religion, history, Plato and Aristotle, while revealing a lifetime of unwavering political commitment.

After The Open Society illuminates the thought of one of the twentieth century's greatest philosophers and is essential reading for anyone interested in the recent course of philosophy, politics, history and society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,431,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible