I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A…

I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of…

by Mardy Grothe

151None78,885 (3.68)1

This one was lots of fun. I have read through it once but it is the kind of book you need to peruse repeatedly to absorb. There are so many wonderfully-phrased ideas in there! I'll keep it for PC so I can reread and use for reference.

I didn't realize until I finished it and glanced at the back flap that the author lives in North Carolina, so that's an extra reason for me to appreciate it! ( )
  glade1 | Aug 9, 2012 |
A compendium of quotes, organised by topic, all phrased in the form of metaphor, simile or analogy.

It's an unusual twist on the usual premise, and does work well. The author's comments at the beginning of each section are interesting, as are his sporadic comments on selected quotes throughout the text. It makes for pleasant reading, and certainly covers a wide range of sources (Aristotle to ex-Prime Minister of Australia, Paul Keating).

If you enjoy miscellanea, this is worth adding to your library. My only quibble is this: how often do you find quotes that aren't metaphorical in nature? (And hence, is the book's premise actually a point of difference, or just of semantics?) ( )
2 vote joannasephine | Nov 30, 2009 |
To my very special grandson Ryan Matthew Wood, who at the age of eight already knows about chiasmus and oxymoronica and will soon be learning about analogies, metaphors, and similies
The sentence you are reading at this very moment is an example of prose (the word comes from the Latin prosa, meaining "straightforward").

Part compendium of quotes, part primer on metaphorical language. A tour of famous (and infamous) analogies, metaphors and similes.

The murals in restaurants are on a par with the food in museums.

America is an enormous frosted cupcake in the middle of millions of starving people.

Critics are like pigs at the pastry cart.

Describing something by relating it to another thing is the essence of metaphorical thought. It is one of the oldest activities of humankind—and one of the most impressive when done skillfully. Throughout history, many masters of metaphor have crafted observations that are so spectacular they have taken up a permanent residence in our minds.

In I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like, quotation maven Dr. Mardy Grothe fixes his attention on the three superstars of figurative language—analogies, metaphors, and similes. The result is an extraordinary compilation of nearly 2,000 feats of association that will entertain, educate, and occasionally inspire quotation lovers everywhere.

In this intellectual smorgasbord, the author of Oxymoronica and Viva la Repartee explains figurative language in a refreshingly down-to-earth way before taking readers on a tour of history's greatest word pictures. In chapters on wit, love, sex, stage and screen, insults, politics, sports, and more, you will find quotations from Aristotle and Maya Angelou to George Washington and Oprah Winfrey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:55 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,435,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible