Devil Takes a Bride by Gaelen Foley

Devil Takes a Bride

by Gaelen Foley

I quite enjoy Gaelen Foley's style of writing and want to continue reading her works. This was similar to the other book I've read by her in that while it's set in Regency era, there is still a bit of gritty realism in there. Very nice. I had a few issues with pacing and superfluous storylines, but those are pretty minor complaints. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Damn. It was part love story and there was loss and there was bad guys and sex and there were heroes and, well, what a nail biter at times and I cried too. I'm emotionally exhausted. ( )
  rainrunner | Oct 3, 2013 |
  rainrunner | Oct 3, 2013 |
As with all the other stories in this series this has some elements that aren't in other books and will probably upset some readers. The villains in this piece of fiction are child abusers and rapists. There are no scenes that describe any abuse or rape but the men are shown in that light. These men are also not above murder to save their asses. Next there is quite a bit going on in this book. There is the courting between Alec Knight, Devlin "Devil" Strathmore, and Elizabeth "LIzzie" Carlisle. If you have been reading this series you are familiar with Alec and Lizzie. Well their problems from LADY OF DESIRE continue in this book. Alec is determined to win Lizzie back and to save her from Devil. Unfortunately Alec still hasn't grown up enough to redeem himself to Lizzie. I have to wonder what it will take for Alec to see what he is doing to his life and turn it around. Luckily we will find out in the next story. Devil is tormented by the death of family in a fire. He is determined to get revenge on the men that caused the fire. So there is the plot to find all the evidence he can to convict the men or to kill them. Luckily he finds a way for justice to prevail of course the villains are killed before they can be brought to justice. Which is fitting since the bad guys were aristocrats and would have escaped any punishment for their crimes.

Lizzie is the bluestocking that we have all come to love from the earlier books. She is searching for a place to make her own. She wants a home and family that is just hers. Lizzie is also a progressive that wants better rights for women. She thinks that her only option is to stay a spinster and by a bookstore. I have to admit that I would find that a good idea. For all the trouble that she runs into she is loyal and compassionate. She is a nurturer. She enjoys helping people and that is what keeps her going back to Devlin. Her insight into people makes her understand what they are feeling and how to make them better.

This is one of those stories that you sometimes think that you need to keep notes so you don't forget anything. There are twists and turns with every page. I didn't want to put the book down. I had to find out Devil and Lizzie and Alec were going to do next. I also liked that we got to see more of Billy and Jacinda. Unfortunately we didn't get to see much of the other Knights. There was brief mentions of them. I enjoyed this story so much. This was a great story and a really quick read. ( )
  LadyIsis | Aug 24, 2013 |
  rainrunner | Feb 15, 2011 |
Dedicated with love and many fond memories to all my wonderful cousins on both sides --

The never-a-dull-moment Kennedy clan, who made Sundays at Mimi and Pap's house so much fun, and the wild-and-wacky Foley bunch who throw great family reunions complete with ghost stories around the campfire.

Blessings and much joy to you, your spouses, and adorable children.

Special thanks to Dan, the brother I never had, and to Tim, who tells people everywhere he goes to read his little cousin's books.

Love you, and thanks for bringing so much joy and laughter into my life....
Moonlight flashed on three black racing-drags tearing up the Oxford Road, a heedless cavalcade -- whips cracking, snorting blood-horses wild eyed and flecked with foam.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804119759, Mass Market Paperback)

Celebrated storyteller Gaelen Foley brings her craft to new heights with Devil Takes a Bride, the seductive tale of a man bent on revenge and the beauty who teaches him to love again. . . .

In the quiet English countryside, far from the intrigues of London, Lizzie Carlisle slowly mends her broken heart, devoting herself to her new position as lady’s companion to the Dowager Viscountess Strathmore— until her peaceful life is turned upside down by a visit from “Devil” Strathmore, the old woman’s untamed nephew—a dangerously handsome man whose wicked reputation hides a tortured soul.

Devlin Kimball, Lord Strathmore, has spent years adventuring on the high seas, struggling to make his peace with the tragedy that claimed the lives of his family. But now he has uncovered the dark truth behind the so-called accident and swears retribution. He has no intention of taking a bride—until his eccentric aunt’s will forces he and Lizzie together, and Devlin finds his path to vengeance blocked by the stubborn but oh-so-tempting Miss Carlisle. Her passionate nature rivals his own. But disillusioned once by love, Lizzie will accept nothing less than his true devotion. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

In the quiet English countryside, far from the intrigues of London, Lizzie Carlisle slowly mends her broken heart, devoting herself to her new position as lady's companion to the Dowager Viscountess Strathmore - until her peaceful life is turned upside-down by a visit from 'Devil' Strathmore.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,640,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible