Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A…

Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A do-it-Ourselves Guide (2008)

by Scott Kellogg, Stacy Pettigrew

Other authors: Juan Martinez (Illustrator)

Can't wrap my head around the level of off-the-grid but stay in the city. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
Probably more helpful if you own your home, as a lot of the projects are long term and/or involve digging up the driveway. I thought many of the projects could have used better descriptions and illustrations - some of it would be hard to follow for beginners.
Lots of great ideas, though, and extra bonus points for the completely awesome cover. ( )
  paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
Kellogg and Pettigrew do an excellent job on several fronts. Not only do they make a good case for Urban Agriculture as a smart move, but they also describe in clear and simple language and pictures how one is to begin such activities. Lots of good source materials too. I may need to own this, and I'll definitely be re-reading the aquaculture section soon. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 20, 2013 |
While this book has some really nifty projects, most are geared for the advanced sustainability guru with access to land. As I don't have a yard, don't have access to the plumbing to install greywater recycling, etc, this book is really not terribly useful for me. However, I could see it as a resource in the future if I ever own some land.

If you're interested in more small-scale sustainability projects that can be undertaken even in tiny, studio apartments, I strongly recommend reading Urban Homestead instead. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |
This is a great primer on self-sufficiency and sustainable skills. It is grounded in the contextual framework of climate change and peak oil, a foundation that sets it apart from the current wave of corporate green-washing.

It covers the basic categories of food, water and energy, but delves deeper into topics not usually covered in sustainability books like micro-livestock management, aquaculture basics and composting toilets.

It is great for the DIYer with ample how-to instructions and illustrations. The anecdotes from the author's own collective are also great. ( )
  jollyhope | Sep 26, 2008 |

Scott Kelloggprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pettigrew, Stacymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Martinez, JuanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Eleanor Elodea Kellogg.
In the coming decades, humanity will be faced with an enormous challenge—to survive the implosion of a society that has overextended its natural limitations in every capacity.

The tools you need to create self-sufficient, ecologically sustainable cities

“A surprisingly effective model for connecting people with dreams to the resources they need.” —Austin Chronicle

With more than half the world’s population now residing—and struggling to survive—in cities, we can no longer afford to think of sustainability as something that applies only to forests and fields. We need sustainable living right where so many of us are: in urban neighborhoods. But how do we do it?

That’s where Toolbox for Sustainable City Living comes in. In 2000 the dynamic Rhizome Collective transformed an abandoned warehouse in Austin, Texas, into a sustainability training center. Here, with their first book, Scott and Stacy, two of Rhizome’s founders, provide city dwellers—those who have never foraged or gardened along with those who dumpster-dive and belong to CSAs—with step-by- step instructions for producing our own food, collecting water, managing waste, reclaiming land, and generating energy.

With vibrant illustrations created by Juan Martinez of the Beehive Collective and descriptive text based on years of experimentation, Stacy and Scott explain how to build and grow with cheap, salvaged, and recycled materials. More than a how-to manual, Toolbox is packed with accessible and relevant tools to help move our communities from envisioning a sustainable future toward living it.

Scott Kellogg a Stacy Pettigrew are co-founders of the Rhizome Collective, an educational and activist organization based in Austin, Texas, that recently received a $200,000 grant from the EPA to clean up a 10-acre brownfield that they are transforming into an ecological justice park. Toolbox developed out of R.U.S.T.—Radical Urban Sustainability Training—their intensive weekend seminar in urban ecological survival skills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,388,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible