Pale Blue Dot: a Vision of the Human Future…

Pale Blue Dot: a Vision of the Human Future in Space (original 1994; edition 1997)

by Carl Sagan

Member:xander_paul
Title:Pale Blue Dot: a Vision of the Human Future in Space
Authors:Carl Sagan
Info:Ballantine Books Inc. (1997), Edition: Ballantine Books ed, Paperback, 360 pages

Pale Blue Dot : A Vision of the Human Future in Space by Carl Sagan (1994)

A well written and thought-provoking justification to reach for the stars. ( )
  dpevers | Jan 31, 2016 |
In a tour of our solar system, galaxy and beyond, Cornell astronomer Sagan meshes a history of astronomical discovery, a cogent brief for space exploration and an overview of life-from its origins in the oceans to humanity's first emergence to a projected future where humans "terraform" and settle other planets and asteroids. Earth having long been swallowed by the sun. Maintaining that such relocation is inevitable, the author further argues that planetary science is of practical utility, fostering an interdisciplinary approach to looming environmental catastrophes such as "nuclear winter"
  paamember | Jan 13, 2016 |
If you want to see how science can offer a spiritual perspective, read this book. ( )
  Michael_Rose | Jan 10, 2016 |
This is not a book I should have read on the Kindle. Apparently, as I found out halfway through, it's beautifully illustrated! To the wishlist it goes.

To read Pale Blue Dot after the destruction of the SETI program is terribly disheartening. Sagan was such an optimist. I'm extremely glad he wasn't alive to see that happen. Although, I believe if he were alive, he could have stopped it. ( )
  lunaluxor | Oct 29, 2015 |
Sagan is a genius - a brilliant deep thinker. That's obvious, and this review won't add or detract to that at all.

Pale Blue Dot had some fabulous insight into the difficulties behind space exploration, particularly on the political and bureaucratic end. However, it frequently goes off topic, where Sagan frequently lectures on the state of the world, our place in the universe, etc etc. Not that this isn't enlightening - just not why I picked up this book.

A bit jumbled, and takes on too much, but a fascinating read nonetheless. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |

Carl Saganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sagan, Carlmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Sam, another wanderer. May your generation see wonders undreamt.
We were wanderers from the beginning.

"FASCINATING . . . MEMORABLE . . . REVEALING . . . PERHAPS THE BEST OF CARL SAGAN'S BOOKS."
--The Washington Post Book World (front page review)

In Cosmos, the late astronomer Carl Sagan cast his gaze over the magnificent mystery of the Universe and made it accessible to millions of people around the world. Now in this stunning sequel, Carl Sagan completes his revolutionary journey through space and time.

Future generations will look back on our epoch as the time when the human race finally broke into a radically new frontier--space. In Pale Blue Dot Sagan traces the spellbinding history of our launch into the cosmos and assesses the future that looms before us as we move out into our own solar system and on to distant galaxies beyond. The exploration and eventual settlement of other worlds is neither a fantasy nor luxury, insists Sagan, but rather a necessary condition for the survival of the human race.

"TAKES READERS FAR BEYOND Cosmos . . . Sagan sees humanity's future in the stars."
--Chicago Tribune

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

Examines humankind's changing awareness of its place in the universe and the rich potential of human ventures into the world beyond Earth

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,530,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible