Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive…

Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Nick Gevers

Member:brianeisley
Title:Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
Authors:Nick Gevers
Info:
Tags:steampunk

Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology by Nick Gevers (Editor) (2008)

Recently added byStormRaven, SteamDave, private library, Irena., galphin, rudidorn, Vermilious, DoctorAlix

This was an amazing anthology. If you've got any love, or interest in, the steampunk genre, get this anthology. If you already read steampunk, this one will jump to the front of your favorites. If you haven't read steampunk, but you're kinda curious, this is the perfect introduction. There are examples in this anthology of what the genre can do when in the hands of truly talented writers. (ya... I'm talking to you Mr. Vandermeer) ( )
  JohnnyPanic13 | Apr 3, 2013 |
  JohnnyPanic13 | Apr 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was disappointed with this book. Calling the book "definitive" is a stretch, but I was willing to let that pass. What truly disappointed me is the poor quality of the stories. Poorly written, clichéd, and heavy-handed are all terms that come to mind. To me the term steampunk brings to mind the works of Tim Powers and James Blaylock. I have enjoyed the works of both of those authors [I never liked Jeter, too Gnostic for my taste], and I hoped for more of the same. My hopes were dashed. I would never have purchased this book.

That being so, let me look briefly upon the two stories within this volume that I did enjoy.

Steampunch - James Lovegrove

There is just something about Mars that makes it a good place for a penal colony. Lots of authors have done this, it just seems right. Of all the stories in this volume, this one had the best look and feel.

The Lollygang Save the World on Accident - Jay Lake

Madcap, with the sense of a larger world that the story is embedded within. Only remotely steampunk, but I still liked the story.

I do not plan on ever reading anything by the authors in this collection, so it has basically failed to do its job. Life is just too short to read bad books. ( )
  bespen | Dec 9, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Solid, enjoyable anthology. I tend to be skeptical of anything called "definitive," but it's highly worth reading, anyway. ( )
  yendi | Dec 2, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Steampunk as a genre is something I find generally hard to be impressed with. I love the aesthetic quality of it, but many of the stories have left me cold. That is not to say I don't enjoy some of its finer examples, but in many cases the idea of steampunk seems to overpower the execution of it.

This is, however, a decent collection of stories, with a couple of standouts, a bulk of good, and a couple I barely made it through. The two stories I enjoyed the most were also the last: Jeff VanderMeer's Fixing Hanover and Jeffrey Ford's The Dream of Reason. Overall not a bad collection, but not something that I am likely to revisit anytime soon. ( )
  lakanta | Nov 11, 2009 |

Reed, RobertContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roberts, AdamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
VanderMeer, JeffContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Youmans, MarlyComposersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My profound thanks to Christian Dunn and George Mann at Solaris for all their help on this project, and their confidence in its success. My gratitude to all the contributing authors also, for sterling work under a sometimes stringent deadline. And I dedicate this book to Peter Crowther, boss, mentor, and colleague, in token of his general inspiration as well as his invaluable assistance on the paperwork.
Introduction: Steampunk is a particularly engaging, entertaining, as well as thematically resonant, subgenre of science fiction, fantasy, and horror.

Ladies and gentlemen! Presenting Steampunk, the hottest new trend in fiction, where the grandeur of Victoriana blends with modern technology. Enter a world where robot pugilists perform for your amusement; where famous literary figures of yesteryear rail against the ceaseless tide of scientific advancement; a world with automated harlots, brass submersibles, and airships!

"Extraordinary Engines is a collection of all-original stories from some of science fiction and fantasy's foremost writers. This anthology collects a vibrant and eclectic range of Steampunk-inspired stories by Kage Baker, Keith Brooke, Jeffrey Ford, Jay Lake, Margo Lanagan, James Lovergrove, Ian R. MacLeod, James Morrow, Robert Reet, Adam Roberts, Jeff VanderMeer and Marly Youmans."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology by Nick Gevers was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible