Fossils Tell of Long Ago…

Fossils Tell of Long Ago (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science)

by Aliki

511None20,085 (4.05)None

Summary: This is an informational book about fossils, it explains and illustrates how they are made and formed. It also tells of different types of fossils and also shows the reader how they can make their own

Personal Reaction: Super cool! I liked this book a lot, it could go along with the dinosaur book i also did a review over. Can be useful in a science classroom

Classroom Extensions:
1. After reading/sharing this book with the class, let your students make their own fossils as shown in the book.
2. During a science lesson about fossils read this book to help show how fossils are made. Ask students to share if they have ever found a fossil. Then pass around a few fossils for the students to see. ( )
  brownkatie | Nov 13, 2013 |
Summary: This book tells children what fossils are and how they came to be in a way that's easy for them to grasp. It explains what fossils are, how they are formed, and that fossils can tell us things about the past that we never knew before

Personal Reaction: I like that the book is both educational for children and also something the children won't get bored with it keeps them interested.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. You could have children make their own fossils with leaves they find outside or other things they would like to fossilize
2. You could look up different images of found fossils online and show your class and maybe what that fossil has helped us learn
  ChelseaRenee | Apr 21, 2013 |
Fossils tell us a lot about the world as it was in the past. This book explains what fossils are and how they form. The book also talks about how amber and coal are formed. Anyone can find a fossil and they might even discover something no one knows about past animals.

I didn’t really like this book. The text was very dry and did not make me want to keep reading. However, it did provide a lot of information on fossils. I liked the illustrations of the children’s dialogue about fossils.

1) Students could create fossils of their hands using clay.
2) The teacher could bring in or show pictures of interesting fossils that have been discovered.
  AllieCunningham | Apr 7, 2013 |
Summary: It tells about how plants and animals become fossils. It tells about the different kinds of fossils. It tells how fossils can be used to find out what life was like many years ago.

Personal Reaction: I love the illustrations. I like how even though it is a science book, and some kids may not be interested in science, it keeps the reader engaged.

Classroom Extension: Use this when studying about fossils. Have students make their own fossils using their handprints in clay.
  SarahWadusky | Apr 1, 2013 |
SUMMARY:This book explains the process of how a fossil is created.
PERSONAL REACTION: I loved this book. I appreciated that it contained boys and girls of all different ethnicities. I thought it did a wonderful job of explaining the ins and outs of fossils.
CLASSROOM EXTENSION: This would be a great book to incorporate in a lesson over dinosaurs. This would also be a great book to incorporate in a lesson over bones.
  oklahomaannie | Nov 27, 2012 |

What is a fossil?

Sometimes it's the imprint of an ancient leaf in a rock. Sometimes it's a woolly mammoth, frozen for thousands of years in the icy ground. Sometimes it's the skeleton of a stegosaurus that has turned to stone.

A fossil is anything that has been preserved, one way or another, that tells about life on Earth. But you can make a fossil, too--something to be discovered a million years from now--and this book will tell you how.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:39 -0400)

Explains how fossils are formed and what they tell us about the past.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible