Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum

by Ryan Mecum

2682142,397 (3.7)1 / 32

My favorite:

Blood is really warm.
It's like drinking hot chocolate
but with more screaming. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Very interesting; it cracked me up. A very short read, but well worth it! ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Dec 27, 2013 |
Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your... Brains by Ryan Mecum is a small collection of haiku that tells of a man in the early days of a zombie apocalypse.

The author presents the book as a reproduction of a journal found in the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse. It is lovingly reproduced with the mud, grime, blood and guts that were presumably splattered as the man first ran for his life and later succumbed to becoming a zombie.

Although mixing a Japanese poetry form with an American B movie horror story seems like an unlikely pairing, it works remarkably well. These snatches of verse give a sense of character and as well as a rough timeline for the unnatural disaster. At the same time, the book isn't bogged down with either unnecessary amounts of gore or the character building of multiple characters who will invariably succumb to the zombies. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 31, 2013 |
This could get old very fast but it wasn't long enough to do so. Mr. Mecum gets an extra half star for this simply for pulling it off so well. Deliciously demented and gigglingly gross. I got a kick out of his appreciative comment to George Romero at the end too. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
Just flipping through this gave my 13yr-old nightmares...place on a high shelf! Enormously funny, however, if you're into that sort of thing :-) ( )
  mzieg | Apr 1, 2013 |
To George Romero: Because of you, I'm screwed up. Thanks for your movies.
To whoever might find this, my name is Chris Lynch, and I'm pretty sure I'm dying.
Brains, brains, brains, brains, brains.
Brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains.
Brains, brains, brains, brains, brains.

Perfect for zombiephiles, video game addicts, grindhouse nostalgists, and horror movie fanatics, Zombie Haiku is the touching story of a zombie's gradual decay told through the intimate poetry of haiku. From infection to demise, readers will accompany the narrator on a zen journey through deserted streets and barracaded doors for every eye-popping, gut-wrenching, flesh-eating moment right up until the inevitable bullet to the brain. Plus the book is illustrated with over 50 photos from the zombie's eye and designed with extra blood, guts and pus!… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible