Danny: The Champion of the World by Roald…

Danny: The Champion of the World (original 1975; edition 1975)

by Roald Dahl

Member:JTandRobin
Title:Danny: The Champion of the World
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (1975), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 196 pages
Tags:fiction, children

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl (1975)

English (45)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (47)
Another wonderful Roald Dahl book, we listened to about half of this on Audible and I read about half of it aloud. I had never read it before and it was a wonderful story about a boy and his father--up against a villainous neighbor and aided by a variety of characters from the local village. My six-year old son pointed out that it is the mirror image of Matilda--it's about a boy not a girl, the headmaster is good not bad, the teacher is bad not good and the father is good not bad. It is not as inventive as some other Roald Dahl (BFG, Charlie), the plot is not as interesting as some others (Matilda), and some of it seems extraneous (the scenes at school), but overall it is still amusing, sweet and ultimately morally righteous. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
As I said in my review of D is for Dahl there are no official biographies of the illustrious author himself but a few of his children's stories are odes to his past and this is one of them. The story centers on Danny and his father, William, who it must be said is one of the greatest fathers known to man. It is a thank you note to all of the fathers who take the time to really get to know their kids and who share parts of themselves in return. A lighthearted tale of a boy who came into his own and at the same time learned to love his father even more (which was quite the feat since he loved him quite a lot). As you'd expect with Dahl it's full to bursting with whimsy and imagination and I dare you to read it and not feel buoyed up with joy. ( )
  AliceaP | May 28, 2014 |
I have a great fondness for Roald Dahl's books. This book in particular is unusual. It tells the story of a boy and his father. This bond is very strong between Danny and his father. Here you will find a single parent story that is delightful, funny and poignant! The part about the pheasants is really worth the read.

-Breton Kaiser-Shinn ( )
  Breton07 | Feb 20, 2014 |
Wonderful. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
This is, of course, quite a sentimental story, Danny’s relationship with his father holding centre stage even if whole chunks are still lifted in their entirety from the original story for adults of nearly two decades earlier.

I enjoyed this book quite a lot more when I read it to my children a long time ago, probably partly because I was seeing it from their point of view. This time I felt the closeness of the relationship between father and son was a bit much – never a cross word, just lots of love and tenderness.

I think what I’ve enjoyed in Dahl’s writing is mainly the plot and, in the best such as ‘Parson’s Pleasure’ it’s the style too. This expansion of a short story led him to change a comparatively caustic adult relationship between Gordon and Claude into the padded out one of Danny and his father, thereby diminishing the more convincing abrasive element of the original. ( )
  evening | Nov 20, 2013 |
Danny the champion of the world by Roald Dahl, 1975- 205 pages. Isabel Arguelles 10 A

Danny was a boy that had 9 years old, he lived only with his dad, because her mom died when he had 4 months. He and his dad were very poor and they lived on a Gypsy caravan. His father worked on a filling station and on a garage.Danny wanted to be a car mechanic like him and he was very proud of him. one night, woke up and he saw that his father wasn't there, so when his father came to the caravan, he ask to him what he was doing, and he told to him a dark secret. he was a pheasant poacher. he knew that it was stealing, but he steals from a mean man called Mr.hazell.

Another night, his father went to a poaching expedition but he didnt return, so Danny distressed, drives his car made of wood to find him. he found him on a pit on Mr.hazell's land, but his father had a broken leg, so Danny take him to the doctor. when they were there, danny had a brillant idea, to ridicule Mr. hazell for doing this to his dad.

Mr. hazell was going to have a party were many rich people, were going to shoot many pheasants, so Danny said to his father that the favourite food of the pheasants were the raisins, so he said to him that if they put the raisins with the medicine of the leg of his father ,the pheasants would sleep and they would capture them, before the party, so when Mr. hazell were going to shoot a pheasant he could not do. he made the plan and he capture 120 pheasants, so his father and the doctor called him the champion of the world.

new words:
pheasants: noun. Any of numerous large, usually long-tailed, Old World gallinaceous birds. Pg 30
poaching: noun. the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or steal game without the landowner's permission.Pg 28
flabbergast: verb.to overcome with surprise and bewilderment; astound.Pg 78
knitting: noun. the act of a person or thing that knits. Pg 121
swivel:a fastening device that allows the thing fastened to turn around freely upon it, especially to turn in a full circle. Pg 133
added by isabel.arguelles | editchildren literature books

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for the whole family

Pat

Tessa

Theo

Ophelia

Lucy
When I was four months old, my mother died suddenly and my father was left to look after me all by himself.

Life couldn't be better for Danny - a gypsy caravan for a home, a garage where he could work on cars all day, and a best friend who never ran out of surprises and inventions: his father. But Dad has one surprise that catches Danny completely off-guard, a secret passion that he's hidden for years. Now the secret's out and Danny's off on an adventure that will make him a legend in his own time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410330, Paperback)

"My father, without the slightest doubt, was the most marvelous and exciting father any boy ever had." Danny feels very lucky. He adores his life with his father, living in a gypsy caravan, listening to his stories, tending their gas station, puttering around the workshop, and occasionally taking off to fly home-built gas balloons and kites. His father has raised him on his own, ever since Danny's mother died when he was four months old. Life is peaceful and wonderful... until he turns 9 and discovers his father's one vice. Soon Danny finds himself the mastermind behind the most incredible plot ever attempted against nasty Victor Hazell, a wealthy landowner with a bad attitude. Can they pull it off? If so, Danny will truly be the champion of the world. Danny is right up to Roald Dahl's impishly brilliant standards. An intense and beautiful father-son relationship is balanced with sublegal high jinks that will have even the most rigid law-abider rooting them on. Dahl's inimitable way with words leaves the reader simultaneously satisfied and itching for more. (Ages 9 to 13) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:42 -0400)

A young English boy describes his relationship with his father and the special adventure they share together.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805943, 0141322675, 0141807857, 0141323760, 0141346434

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible