Leaving Whiskey Bend by Dorothy Garlock

Leaving Whiskey Bend

by Dorothy Garlock

For me this wasn't bad but it wasn't good either just middle of the road...blah....Story seemed to drag on while telling me nothing while at the same time feeling rushed to get from A - The End. Parts just felt forced and did not flow smoothly..."Kinda like my review". On the plus side I loved the character of Abe =) He cracked me up! ( )
  historicalbooklover | Aug 5, 2014 |
This was my first Dorothy Garlock book and I was a bit disappointed. I felt like I didn't really have a connection with the characters and for me the end seemed like it was just thrown together quickly...like suddenly Ms Garlock got tired of writing it and cut it short. The relationships between the people weren't very believable and the ending was a little too hokey. The book was okay...I'm not wishing back the hours I spent reading it, I just wasn't engaged with the storyline. I have a handful of other Garlock books to read and I hope they are better than this one. I would only recommend this one if you have nothing better to read. ( )
  tbsomeday | Feb 3, 2010 |
This book was a comforting read, it was not very exciting but it was nice to curl up with on an evening with a glass of wine. ( )
  risadabomb | Nov 8, 2009 |

The 19th century is rapidly drawing to a close and the American West, for all its promise of wealth and opportunity, remains a gun-toting, hard-drinking man’s world. And the small town of Whiskey Bend, Colorado, is no different. So when two friends, Hallie, a young schoolteacher, and Pearl, a spinster, witness their friend Mary being assaulted in the street, they decide they’ve had enough. After boldly rescuing Mary, the three women high-tail it out of town in an open wagon, in search of a new life and safety. It is a journey that will take them to the very edge of hopelessness, as they are pursued by Mary’s assailant, face violent storms, and cross roiling rivers. They will also meet good men, like the kind and handsome rancher who offers them shelter despite having troubles of his own. And perhaps for Hallie, he will open the door to the kind of life she’s been searching for all along.

The new novel from the Voice of America's Heartland, Dorothy Garlock.

In l890 two friends, middle-aged Pearl and pretty, young schoolteacher Hallie, have just about decided to leave the rough Western town of Whiskey Bend, where both are disillusioned with the way they have been treated. The final straw comes when they witness their friend Mary being assaulted in the street by her stepbrother Chester and no one steps forward to help her. They decide to leave and take Mary with them. They go out to the shack where Chester and Mary live to get her, but when Chester attacks them, Pearl shoots him in the leg. He screams after the three that he will follow them wherever they go. Desperately they drive away in an open wagon seeking a new life and safety. One night along the way they are caught in a violent storm and Mary nearly drowns in a roiling river. She is saved by a daring young rancher who brings them back to his home to stay until Mary recovers. The rancher has troubles of his own. He is condemned by his mother for having left his father to run the ranch alone years earlier. He is searching for the murderer of his younger brother. And someone now is trying to kill him. Attracted to him and grateful, Hallie vows to help him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:05 -0400)

When their friend is assaulted in the street of their hard-drinking, gun-toting Colorado town, a young schoolteacher and a spinster set out in an open wagon to find a safer life, an endeavor that pits them against violent natural elements and their friends.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,088,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible