Travels by Michael Crichton

Travels (1988)

by Michael Crichton

I didn't expect this memoir to be very interesting, and the cover description gives no indication that it is heavily focused on Crichton's deeply-felt experiences with the occult and "new age" spirituality. I was fascinated with the lack of concern he expressed about preserving any duality between the scientific worldview versus his spiritual extrasensory experience. For example, he recounts his ability, since childhood, to induce his consciousness to leave his body.

While experiences like these can only be convincing to the subject directly involved, Crichton's accounts struck me as very genuine, and I'm still awed by the idea of a sciency person who can fully acknowledge experiences that have no apparent physical explanation without a priori demeaning them as illusions of the physical. ( )
1 vote dmac7 | Jun 14, 2013 |
i tend to really like some and really dislike some of crichton's books. the same was true for a lot of his vignettes in this book. some seemed so poorly written, and others much better and engaging. mostly, though, i found it not particularly enjoyable to read a nonfiction book (therefore with no promise or hope of a character working his way through his issues along the story arc) about someone so profoundly dissatisfied with everything, in constant search of something without knowledge of what he's searching for. i do think this was written pretty honestly, as the majority of this book doesn't paint crichton in a terribly good light, and i do appreciate that. it's not all bad, it's just not all that good. ( )
1 vote elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
This is kind of like wading through a Carribean beach that has had a large fish kill on it, but is wonderful once you get out into th e warm sea water, it can be wonderful. He often had me laughing out loud, which takes one heluva ood writer to do. I'm pretty sure this is labbelled non-fiction and, if so, the few chapters on body auras and weird perceptions need to be investigated, especially siknce these ujnusual occurances were witnessed by scores of people over a period of time. ( )
1 vote andyray | Mar 17, 2011 |
What a wonderful, thought-provoking book. Michael Crichton has provided me with many hours of entertainment, and this book proves his depth. While I did not always agree with his views, I admire his willingness to explore new ideas and his ability to clearly describe his experiences and his interpretations of them. This is not as much a book about the parts of the world that the author visited as it is about his own spiritual travels, the things he learned and came to appreciate as a result of his journeys, encompassing trips abroad as well as excursions inward to explore his consciousness and spiritual depth.

Well-written, interesting, and inspiring! ( )
  glade1 | Aug 31, 2010 |
Understand more about the the writer's experience and personality in this non-fiction. Highly recommended for Michael Crichton reader. ( )
  thiennguyen | Jun 23, 2009 |
In self-analysis the danger of incompleteness is particularly great. One is too soon satisfied with a part explanation.
-Sigmund Freud
Existence is beyond the power of words to define.
-Lao-Tzu
What you see is what you see.
-Frank Stella
For many years I traveled for myself alone.

Fueled by a powerful curiosity and the need to see, feel, and hear firsthand and close-up, Michael Crichton has experienced adventures as compelling as those he created in his books and films. These adventures -- both physical and spiritual -- are recorded here in Travels, Crichton's most astonishing and personal work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:47 -0400)

Often I feel I go to some distant region of the world to be reminded of who I really am. When Michael Crichton -- a Harvard-trained physician, bestselling novelist, and successful movie director -- began to feel isolated in his own life, he decided to widen his horizons. He tracked wild animals in the jungles of Rwanda. He climbed Kilimanjaro and Mayan pyramids. He trekked across a landslide in Pakistan. He swam amid sharks in Tahiti. Fueled by a powerful curiosity and the need to see, feel, and hear firsthand and close up, bestselling author Michael Crichton has experienced adventures as compelling as those he created in his books and films. These adventures--both physical and spiritual--are recorded in "Travels, " Crichton's most astonishing and personal work.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,279,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible