Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances by John…

Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances (edition 2008)

by John Green, Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, YA, 2012 reads

Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances by John Green

Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Sweet, lighthearted, intelligent romance stories in intriguing settings. Fun reading for your free time in summer or winter.

English (78)  German (1)  All languages (79)
This book is just full of love!
Soooooooo CUTE...but that's it. ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
I bought this book when it came out last year during the Holiday season but it took me almost a year to finally finish reading the three short stories and just to realize that they are somehow connected. Yes, I read the first story way back but I don’t know what happened that I’ve been setting it aside for a long time. Just last week, I feel the need to read the whole book and so I did and it’s such a very nice book that I regret not reading the whole thing the moment I got my hands on it. It’s composed of three short romances titled The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson, A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green and The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle set in Gracetown, Virginia on a very snowy Christmas day.
When I finished the book, I also realized that it almost has the same plot with one of my all time favorite movie which is Love Actually. Both are composed of different interconnected stories and both also happened on a Christmas day.

It is a very good book in a sense that it teaches us so much not only about love but life as well. One thing that struck me was when one of the characters explain that Christmas is not only a season but also a state of mind. That whatever trials we are going through does not mean that we cannot have a Merry Christmas. If we just take a moment and appreciate the things that we have instead of being sad of the things that we don’t have or the things that we lost then in that way, we can have a positive outlook on life and love. Each of us is going through different trials and made a lot of mistakes but it is okay to forgive especially ourselves and accept that the things that are happening around are not just about us all the time. Don’t be selfish and think that everything is about you because it’s not. You are not the only one in those situations but some people chose to learn from those situations or mistakes instead of dwelling on them. It is fine to grieve for whatever reason but we also need to teach ourselves how to accept that what’s done is done and if you can’t do anything to change it then maybe it’s about time to move forward with life. In that way, you can do so much more not only to yourself but to the people around you. ( )
  euniceangeli | Mar 3, 2016 |
Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances from John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle features three interconnecting stories that all take place on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. This trait resembles the interconnected nature of Kevin Smith's first three films (Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy) in which a certain characters or pieces of backstory crossover between the tales.
Maureen Johnson's story, "Jubilee Express," feels like an episode of Daria at the beginning, but ends on a more traditional teenage romance note. John Green's contribution to this volume, "A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle," follows his tradition of writing YA stories with male protagonists and has the tone of a teen comedy aimed at male audiences coupled with his flair for writing road trip stories. Finally, Lauren Myracle's "The Patron Saint of Pigs" resembles a variation on the Christmas tradition of adapting Dickens' A Christmas Carol into a television special wherein the main character must learn a lesson and work to help others. The conclusion to Myracle's story also ties all three together with the main characters from each gathering at a Starbucks.
The presence of branding throughout these stories may reflect the increasing commercialization of the holidays and the characters' acceptance of the omnipresent corporations a tacit understanding that this is now the way the holiday season works. From early on, brands like Waffle House, Mousetrap, Twister, James Bond, Macbook, Firefox, and Starbucks feature prominently. While this allows the authors to set their story in a world familiar to their readers, it also shows how these brands, and corporations as a whole, now control the holiday season. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Feb 14, 2016 |
Two whole stars off for the inclusion of the hot mess that was Lauren Myracle's story and her assassination of the lovely characters introduced earlier in the volume. Yeesh. On the other hand, reading this has introduced me to Maureen Johnson, whose writing is lovely and funny and just my cup of tea in the sense-of-humour stakes. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

Green, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, MaureenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Myracle, LaurenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, MaureenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myracle, LaurenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lauren Myracle- For Dad, Sarah Lee, and the lovely mountain town of Brevard, NC... all chock-full of grace.
John Green - To Ilene Cooper, who has guided me through so many blizzards
Maureen Johnson - For Hamish, who embodied the "go down the hill really fast and if something gets in your way, turn" school of teaching me how to deal with a snowy slope. And for all who toil behind the facade of a corporate monolith, fo revery person who has to say grande latte three thousand times a day, for every soul who's ever had to deal with a broken credit card reader in the holiday rush... this one is for you.
It was the night before Christmas.(the Jubilee Express)
JP and the Duke and I were four movies in to our James Bond marathon when my mother called home for the sixth time in five hours. (A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle)
Being me sucked. (The Patron Saint of Pigs)
Please do not combine individual stories with the complete anthology. This is important because many of the stories are available in multiple anthologies, and also as single titles.

contains:
The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson;
A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green;
The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle

The New York Times bestseller!

Sparkling white snowdrifts, beautiful presents wrapped in ribbons, and multicolored lights glittering in the night through the falling snow. A Christmas Eve snowstorm transforms one small town into a romantic haven, the kind you see only in movies. Well, kinda. After all, a cold and wet hike from a stranded train through the middle of nowhere would not normally end with a delicious kiss from a charming stranger. And no one would think that a trip to the Waffle House through four feet of snow would lead to love with an old friend. Or that the way back to true love begins with a painfully early morning shift at Starbucks. Thanks to three of today’s bestselling teen authors—John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle—the magic of the holidays shines on these hilarious and charming interconnected tales of love, romance, and breathtaking kisses.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

In three intertwining short stories, several high school couples experience the trials and tribulations along with the joys of romance during a Christmas Eve snowstorm in a small town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,874,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible