Prince of Persia by Jordan Mechner

Prince of Persia

by Jordan Mechner, LeUyen Pham (Illustrator), Alex Puvilland (Illustrator), A. B. Sina

English (6)  Danish (1)  All languages (7)
Fairly good rendition of Prince of Persia; it lost me in certain spots; several uses of vulgarity. ***January 24, 2012*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Jan 24, 2012 |
In an epic that spans two life times, a young man must face his destiny to gain his rightful role as prince. Also, young Princess Shirin must face the horrors that her parents afflict on their people and decide if she is strong enough to make a change. ( )
  Aridy | Oct 15, 2010 |
Having seen the movie, I was curious about the graphic novel. I knew that th story had its base in a video game, but having never played the game, I wondered how much of an effect that would be on my enjoying the story. This book, though connected to the video game and the movie, stands on its own.
Read the afterword. It contains a wealth of information about the development of the character and the different incarnations he has taken over the years.
As for the story in tihs book, there are actually two parallel stories seperated by time. While this is sometimes confusing, ultimately it works.
Reading this has sparked my curiosity about the video game, and the whole "Prince" character. I may have to watch the movie agian, too. ( )
1 vote rapago | Sep 23, 2010 |
I picked Prince of Persia up as a fan of the games and of the general adventure genre of the Arabian Nights style.

The story was intriguing and thoughtful. It's presented as two stories set ~400 years apart with the first story creating and influencing the legend/action of the second story. The stories are presented side-by-side allowing the plot points to expose themselves gradually which leads to a feeling of mystery and intrigue. The female characters felt stronger to me than the male characters both in terms of their strength of mind and their initiative and drive to get things done.

The art was clean and simple while still detailed enough to really draw me in. The tone created by the art changed based on plot points but was generally fairly light (after having recently read Watchmen, the art here felt almost airy). Some of the depictions of violence were fairly graphic...it wasn't spewing blood, but the violent imagery was pushing PG-13 at times.

The art and the plot were fast paced and kept me scanning from panel to panel and page to page quickly. I think I flew through the book in about 40 minutes. Which was my main complaint. I wanted more. The depth there was good and the story flowed well. I just felt like it was over too quickly. There was a little deus ex machina that sped things up a little bit, but the story itself flowed well. I think mostly I would have loved to have seen the book double in size, stretch a few segments out, and add more scenes before ending.

The book also came with a very cool afterward by the developer/designer responsible for the first Prince of Persia game and involved in creation of the subsequent titles. Having worked in video games, I was really interested by his description of the creation of the initial games and of how the process changed for the later titles. I also really liked his insight into the adventure stories and histories that helped inspire the games and the book. I'd been looking to read Arabian Nights and he recommends the translation I'll likely use.

****
3.5 stars (out of 5)
  theokester | Jun 5, 2009 |
Not really the greatest story line, but it was interesting enough. The illustrations were different as well, but not really in a bad way. ( )
  knielsen83 | Mar 5, 2009 |

Jordan Mechnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pham, LeUyenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Puvilland, AlexIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sina, A. B.main authorall editionsconfirmed
The following legends of princes and prophets, gardens and graves, water and fire, will not be found in books of history.

The past and future are woven together in this epic tale of a prince, an evil vizier, a princess, and a prophecy in ancient Persia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,378,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible