Soup by Robert Newton Peck
286None39,318 (3.75)1

"Rural Vermont during the 1920's is the setting for this nostalgic account of episodes in the lives of young Robert Peck and his pal, Soup."--starred, School Library Journal ( )
  EBurggraf | Nov 14, 2011 |
This is a fairly nostalgic look at the author's childhood, well-written and funny... kinda like The Great Brain series, but set in a later decade.

The chapters are self-contained stories, which makes it possible to skip over any you find problematic. There's one chapter where the kids make acorn pipes and smoke cornsilk - they get incredibly sick, and it's highly unlikely that any child will decide to emulate them.

There's another one where the children get it into their head that they MUST see the double feature movie, and since they don't have the money they decide to trade in their foil for cash. Lacking enough foil, they decide to cheat the man who owns it, because one of them was told that it's okay to cheat Jews. It's pretty clear from the discussion (how this man is nice and always jokes with them) and from the aftermath (they get paid full price, but there are no smiles and the stone they wrapped the foil over is given back to them, so they know they got caught and aren't being punished, a shameful thing) that they feel guilty and that, in fact, it's not okay to go around cheating anybody... but it's not stated outright and either way, understandably, many parents and especially teachers aren't going to want to bring this issue up at all. I strongly suggest that you read this book before you buy it. ( )
  conuly | Nov 13, 2010 |
Lexile: 740
Reading Recovery: 24
DRA: 40
Fountas Pinnel Guided Reading: R
  mr.crunkleton | Aug 27, 2007 |
These fall under the "reading whatever is lying around" category. My little sister was into them, and I was way too advanced for them, so I do not have good opinions of them. I might have liked them at a younger age. ( )
1 vote eslee | Mar 18, 2007 |

Has as a student's study guide

When it came to getting the two of us in trouble, Soup was a regular genius....Soup was my best pal. His real and righteous name was Luther Wesley Vinson, but nobody called him Luther. He didn't like it. I called him Luther just once, which promoted Soup to break me of a very bad habit before  it really got formed. As soon as the swelling went out of my lip, I called him Soup instead of Thoop.

Here are the stories of that friendship, and of the troubles--stories from a boyhood filled with barrels to roll in, apples to whip, windows to break, ropes to bind prisoners, acorn pepes, and ten-cent Saturday movies.

But then as always nothing was quite as important as a best friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:18 -0400)

The adventures and misadventures of two boys growing up in a small Vermont town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,445,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible