Book of Haikus by Jack Kerouac

Book of Haikus

by Jack Kerouac

Series: Penguin Poets

203357,794 (4)5

Some exceptional, many good, some bad; most of them are interesting, at least for a moment. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Mar 5, 2013 |
I love Jack Kerouac's Haikus, perfect anytime reading. He had an amazing talent for creating a whole scene for the senses in just three tiny lines. Whenever I need a little inspiration I pick up this book. ( )
1 vote princessponti | Feb 16, 2011 |
Book of Haikus compiles Jack Kerouac's haiku from various published works and journals (Regina Weinreich does an excellent job with the introduction and with the asides throughout).

Kerouac breaks away from the Japanese syllable counting tradition of 5-7-5 per line. Instead he developed his own standard of American Haikus, which often exists in direct relation to the Japanese haikuists. His haiku bends the traditions further, playing with seasonal references in new ways and infusing humor into his lines. Sometimes dark sometimes light-hearted, his haiku are always (or almost always) poignant. Kerouac's haiku and his love of Japanese haiku inspires me to want to read the traditional Japanese greats.

I quite enjoyed the poetry throughout this book, and I found it inspirational to my own writing. I'm enthralled by the haiku form, how so much can be said in such a small space. I'm going to have to buy my own personal copy, so that I can flip through it randomly as I'm out and about in the world. ( )
  andreablythe | Jun 24, 2009 |

Kerouac, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lappi, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200264X, Paperback)

Highlighting a lesser-known aspect of one of America's most influential authors, this new collection displays Jack Kerouac's interest in and mastery of haiku. Experimenting with this compact poetic genre throughout his career, Kerouac often included haiku in novels, correspondence, notebooks, journals, sketchbooks, and recordings. In this collection, Kerouac scholar Regina Weinreich supplements an incomplete draft of a haiku manuscript found in Kerouac's archives with a generous selection of Kerouac's other haiku, from both published and unpublished sources. With more than 500 poems, this is a must-have volume for Kerouac enthusiasts everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible