Superman: Last Son by Richard Donner

I love Superman. I don't consider myself totally knowledgeable about Superman (or any other superheroes for that matter), but I certainly love him. I also love Lex Luthor and his self-righteous announcements to himself.

So yes, I enjoyed Superman: Last Son. It's very sad. Melancholy. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Nov 15, 2014 |
Geoff Johns and Richard Donner as the two writers on this TPB held so much promise. The TPB almost lived up to that.

It's the story of Christopher Kent, a young man from the Phantom Zone that Lois and Clark take in for a bit.

These issues were also cool 'cause they had a very classic cast of very well known characters. Metallo, Bizzaro, Parasite, Lex, not to mention Zod, Ursa, and Non (I have to say that when Non went against Bizzaro it was pretty great).

And, I really liked most of the art of Kubert et al. Especially the art of Lara and Jor-El. And although I didn't love it at the beginning as the TPB went along I got a bit more used to how Clark was drawn in it.

Oh, yes, there was one part of the TPB that I didn't like. The darn 3D stuff. In general 3D things give me a headache, and it didn't help that my library copy was missing the glasses.

On the whole though, it was a pretty good TPB and it could almost be read as a stand alone grahpic novel as well. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 8, 2014 |
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!!!
Ok nerdness aside this is a great superman comic, with lots of backstory on General Zod and his lackeys ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Mar 11, 2013 |
A contrived, ham-handed piece of crap. Best to be avoided. ( )
1 vote TomWaitsTables | Nov 12, 2010 |
The promise of a Superman comic co-written by the director of the fantastic Superman: The Movie featuring General Zod-- and Zod's own son, to be raised by Clark Kent himself-- was more than enough to make me undertake the rare purchase of an in-continuity DC story. And this did not disappoint; it shows the best of Superman, the man who strives, no matter what, and would strive even if he were not "Super"; the scene where he reenters Zod's Phantom Zone fortress to save Mon-El despite the fact that his powers don't work there was fantastic. I only wish we had actually gotten to see more of Clark and Lois as parents; the (fantastic) scene where thet decide to give parenting a try is immediately followed by Zod's invasion, which preempts any plans they may have had in that regard. Just one issue to give this idea some room would have been adequate. The other excellent part of this story was the depiction of Lex Luthor: "So this is what it feels like to kill a Kryptonian," he cackles over the bodies of one of Zod's minions. Johns gets Luthor and all of his neuroses in a way that Jeph Loeb failed to in Public Enemies (an inevitable comparison, given how closely I read the two stories). An exceptional Superman story; I was quite disappointed to read about the way Christopher Kent returned earlier this year, as it precludes the Superman-as-father story I've been robbed of by both Last Son and Superman Returns.
  Stevil2001 | Aug 18, 2009 |

Donner, RichardAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johns, GeoffAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubert, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McClure, MarcIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Graphic Novel. A rocket lands in Metropolis containing a boy that Superman thinks is from Krypton. Along with discovering his identity, Superman must protect young Christopher Kent, who has become the most valuable child on the planet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,543,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible