La simmetria dei desideri by Eshkol Nevo

La simmetria dei desideri (edition 2012)

by Eshkol Nevo

Collections:Finiti, ebook
Rating:***1/2
Tags:narrativa, Israele

World Cup Wishes by Eshkol Nevo

Hebrew (1)  English (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (3)
To pun off the title: Gooooal! Nevo's novel about friendship and life ponders the choices and plans we make, thinking that we're right about what we want and about who we are. The four friends make their wishes for the future, based on what they know that particular day, but of course life doesn't work quite that way and they all end up walking in someone else's shoes and changing, with or against their own volition.

I read Nevo's first novel, Homesick, last year and was impressed with the way he uses the multi-voiced narrative to present different viewpoints. However, in Homesick it caused some confusion as to who was speaking, but here, in World Cup Wishes, he has lets each person's voice through with one - and sometimes two - narrators; Churchill lets us know in the first few pages that Yuval's story isn't exactly "true" and so the reader is forced to read between the lines for the others' viewpoints.

The characters are so human, so vulnerable, that I'm almost have to remind myself a few times that these are fictional characters - to me, that's a feat and I love Nevo for letting me get to know his friends, real or not. ( )
1 vote -Eva- | Aug 1, 2010 |
But this is much more than a political novel. As it moves forward, it develops into a cleverer, more literary book. It becomes increasingly clear that we cannot entirely trust Yuval --- certainly according to the other narrator, his friend Churchill. The story which seemed straightforward, is anything but. What started as a realistic novel about everyday life in Israel evolves into a story about storytelling. In doing so, it confirms Nevo as one of the best young Israeli writers today.

Four friends watch the 1998 World Cup final together, as usual. One of them has an idea: let's write down our wishes for the next few years, put them away, and during the next final, four years from now, we'll get them out and see how many we've achieved.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,483,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible