A Matter of Justice by Charles Todd

A Matter of Justice

by Charles Todd

Series: Inspector Ian Rutledge Mysteries (11)

This is another great thriller from the Charles Todd mother son writing team taking place in 1920's England and featuring the tormented and shell shocked Inspector Rutledge of Scotland Yard. This time the roots of the savage murder reach balk to the dark days of the Boer war. A great story. ( )
  bhowell | Jul 18, 2010 |
The authors are still managing to come up with new and interesting mysteries. ( )
  ElizabethAnnS | Jan 6, 2010 |
A complex case with its roots in the Boer War confronts Inspector Rutledge. Harold Quarles was cordially hated by almost everyone, including his wife and the local police inspector. But which one killed him? The answer is signalled from the beginning, but there's enough doubt to sustain the puzzle.

An okay read, but not one of the better entries in the series. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jun 11, 2009 |
I have loved most of the Inspector Rutledge mysteries, and I did enjoy this one as well. However I don't like mysteries where the reader knows most of the answers before the main story even begins, so that spoiled this one for me a bit, although there were still some surprises at the end. The characters were interesting and there was lots of psychology involved in the story. ( )
  Scrabblenut | Feb 15, 2009 |
I will be right up front and state that I probably did not get full value out of this book, as it is the twelfth book in a series, and I have not read the previous books in the series.

For example, I am not sure what to make of Hamish - a sort of sidekick to the main character. Is Hamish an alternate personality of Rutledge? Is he a symptom of madness coming out of the horrible experiences of the trenches of WW1? Is Hamish a ghost? A largely harmless invisible friend?

Not having any of the background of the characters, I found Hamish to be quite tedious quite quickly.

Another thing that lessoned my enjoyment of the story was that everything is set up in the first two chapters of the story. We know what happened two decades before to spark the murder - we know who set up the murder and how and who was the murderer and why. But the bulk of the book is Rutledge trying to figure out what the reader already knows, and it seemed kind of pointless after a while to see him investigating all of the red herrings, all while knowing that they are all red herrings.

It may well be that long time readers of Charles Todd and his sleuth Ian Rutledge might greatly enjoy this story. But as someone newly walking in the series, not so much. ( )
1 vote krobinett | Feb 1, 2009 |
Here the mother and son who write under the name Charles Todd get it all right: a shocking crime in a bucolic setting; secretive characters who act from complex motives; a confounding puzzle elegantly presented and put before a detective with an intuitive understanding of the dark side of human nature.

Charles Toddprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In remembrance...

Samantha June 1995 to September 2007

&

Crystal November 1995 to March 2008

Who gave so much to those who loved them.
THE SCILLY ISLES

May 1920

Ronald Evering was in his study, watching a mechanical toy bank go through its motions, when the idea first came to him.

During the Boer War, Pvt. Harold Quarles takes advantage of a Boer attack on a British military train to enrich himself. When two decades later his battered corpse is found grotesquely displayed at his country residence in Somerset, Scotland Yard's Ian Rutledge must sift through the plethora of lies, omissions and motives surrounding Quarles, who had become a successful investment adviser in London. Because the victim was almost universally despised in Somerset, Rutledge has no shortage of suspects.

When successful London businessman is found savagely and bizarrely murdered in a medieval tithe barn on his estate in Somerset, Scotland Yard inspector Ian Rutledge is called upon to investigate and soon discovers that the victim was universally despised.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible