Una matinada inquietant by Mari Jungstedt

Una matinada inquietant (original 2007; edition 2012)

by Mari Jungstedt

Member:bib.arboc
Title:Una matinada inquietant
Authors:Mari Jungstedt
Info:labutxaca (2012), Edició: 1ª ed 1ª imp, Perfect Paperback
Collections:Registres no novetat
Tags:narrativa en català, negra

The Dead of Summer by Mari Jungstedt (2007)

Recently added byHbeck, private library, rh, Cina, JaanaG, karenb, LB121100, GervaiseFen, tnoble

English (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (7)
“Fresh Meat” by Jordan Foster for Criminal Element

Crime fiction generally is not the best place to look for a vacation spot. If Hannibal and Clarice had transported their bloody tango to the sands of some tropical beach, readers probably wouldn’t be queuing up to follow suit. So why is it that, despite the body count, I’d gladly take a holiday on Gotland, the Swedish island where Mari Jungstedt sets her whodunits?

Let’s start with the pros: it’s removed from the hustle and bustle of Stockholm and there are plentiful bars and restaurants all apparently within bicycling distance (this is Sweden, after all). Since Jungstedt sets the story in late summer, the weather is cooperative for long beach walks and lots of swimming. Even Detective Karin Jacobsson takes a dip at one point. That’s just what you do in July in Gotland. Even when you have a double murder to solve.

Which leads me to the cons. It can’t be ignored that in Jungstedt’s Gotland, there are corpses. Bullet-ridden corpses. This is where the whole it’s-an-island-and-we-can’t-escape notion begins to sound less appealing. Since the first victim is shot point blank in the forehead and then seven more times in the stomach during his morning run along the beach, taking in the lovely scenery Gotland has to offer might not be in your best interest after all. Maybe there’s a shop in Stockholm you can visit that sells summer-weight Kevlar. Stock up before you get on the ferry. Speaking of the ferry, you better hope you don’t miss the last one of the day. Then you’re really stuck.

Read the rest at: http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/05/fresh-meat-the-dead-of-summer-by-ma...
  CrimeHQ | May 14, 2013 |
In a holiday caravan park on the Swedish island of Gotland a man is shot while jogging early one morning and police are, at first, baffled by the crime. The man owned a successful construction business, had a loving wife and family and seemed a most unlikely candidate for such a grim murder. Both police and the local journalists working on the story have to wade through lots of interviews with the man’s family and associates before any hint of a motive emerges. In fact it’s not until there is a second murder some way into the book that a genuine suspect becomes evident.

While I would like to start every series at the beginning and read them in order, I simply do not have enough hours in my life so I was pleased to see that this book, though fifth of a series, was recommended at Euro Crime as a good entry-point to that series. As always Euro Crime steered me in the right direction as I did not find myself at a disadvantage despite having read none of the earlier books. At the start of this one the investigative team is being led by Karin Jacobssen while her boss, Anders Knutas is on holidays. She is looking forward to heading up her first investigation on her own though nervous enough to ring Knutas and let him know about the murder. This backfires on her as he soon returns from holidays, unable to let the investigation take place without him. This is the source of a well-depicted thread in which Jacobssen worries that Knutas believes her incapable of doing the job and him having to explain his reasons for stepping back in so quickly.

We spend quite a bit of time following this and other personal issues of the various police officers as well as the journalist who is working on the story. Knutas is suffering something of a lull in his marriage and there are some unexpectedly awkward moments between himself and Jacobssen, though these do not resolve as you might expect (a point in the book’s favour). The journalist, who has clearly been involved in early stories, is also experiencing some personal problems as the mother of his daughter has become very distant and this thread provides another point of interest. Even Karin Jacobssen’s own personal history becomes important towards the very end of the story and, like all the other significant characters, she is nicely and believably drawn.

I thought the pointers to the final solution to the mystery were a little bit too obvious to give this element of the novel the highest ratings for suspense, but the plot is perfectly serviceable. It’s all quite logical and flows very well, with a quite absorbing (though ultimately irrelevant) side thread that gently probed the issue of foreign workers in Sweden. Some of the sentiments expressed sounded awfully familiar which made me realise yet again just how many similarities there can be between two apparently different cultures on opposite sides of the globe,

I did thoroughly enjoy this expertly translated and delightfully narrated audio book with thanks to Tiina Nunnally and Simon Shepherd respectively. I am becoming quite enamoured of having translated books read to me as the correct pronunciation of the names of people and places seems to add something to the authentic feel. I will definitely be eager to read the next book of this quietly absorbing series and may even be tempted to go back and read some of the earlier ones (well at least the one I have sitting on my TBR shelves).

My rating 3.5 ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Another blood-soaked outing on the peaceful Swedish island of Gotland with Mari Jungstadt's two protagonists, Inspector Knutas and the journalist Johann Berg. This time, in the fifth novel in the series, another major role is taken by Knutas' chief deputy, Karin Jacobsson. They are trying to figure out who put a bullet through the forehead of a family man vacationing at a campsite on the remote sub-island of Faro. That's not the last murder, and there's plenty of mystery to unravel. The sometimes cooperative, sometimes confrontational relationship between Jacob and the police continues, as does his on again off again relationship with his rather tiresome girlfriend Emma.

A good mystery read, with a strong sense of place, and some interesting characters. These novels do require one to suspend the will to disbelieve, in that murder isn't really all that common in Gotland -- when I visited the island, a hotel keeper told me that there had been one murder on the island in the last 35 years. But that's true of Scandi crime fiction in general. ( )
  annbury | Sep 6, 2012 |
I didn't like this book. The characters seemed wooden and unengaging; some of their actions were unconvincing. The mystery was bleh. The writing style felt chunky and amateurish to me. (Maybe it was the translation.) There was one section, near the end, when things seemed like they were picking up as the clues came together. But at the very end, the story took an unconvincing turn with a huge info dump about one of the characters, totally taking the story in another direction altogether. It just didn't work for me at all. I'm not even sure why I finished it. I probably wouldn't have, except I used it as my bedtime book because it wasn't exciting enough to keep me awake at night. Only the ending was so aggravating, it's kept me awake tonight after all, for all the wrong reasons. ( )
  tymfos | Sep 3, 2012 |

Mari Jungstedtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunnally, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peci, ErmirCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The murder of a jogger on the beach at Faro is an opportunity for Anders Knutas' newly-appointed deputy, Karin Jacobsson, to prove her worth while her boss is on holiday. But when a second body is discovered, murdered in the same style, Jacobsson's investigations point to a horrifying conclusion.… (more)

10 wanted4 pay2 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible