Out of Danger by James Fenton

Out of Danger (edition 1993)

by James Fenton

59None196,460 (4.06)5
Member:dylanwolf
Title:Out of Danger
Authors:James Fenton
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1993), Paperback
Tags:zzz Poetry, Fenton James

Out of Danger by James Fenton

More lyrical reflections on contemporary and political themes. ( )
  ElizabethPisani | Apr 19, 2008 |
This anthology, years ago, is what began my fascinating with poetry and with writing. I realized in these pages, that poetry could be simple, beautiful, and thought provoking all at the same time. I bought it when my creative writing teacher (in high school) told us to find a poem we hadn't read before that "spoke to us" and memorize it for the class. My poem was out of this collection, titled "I'll Explain", and to this day it's one of my favorite poems. If you're a reader, I recommend this book. Fenton hasn't come out with many collections, and this one stands above the rest as far as I'm concerned both in quality and in accessability. This is one of those collections where nearly every poem is worth coming back to both days and years down the road, and at least for me, it proved a great deal of inspiration as well. If you're remotely interested in reading or writing poetry, this book comes highly recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jan 18, 2008 |
One of my favorite poetry books here. Unfortunately Mr. Fenton doesn't seem to write a lot of it. Anyways I always think of internal combustion engines when I think of ways to describe it. Rhymes within rhymes--it seems that not only can a line rhyme with the one before it--it can also rhyme with itself--in fact his technique seems to continually propel the poem forward. But that is not all--because as an observer of the world in a social, and a political and a historical sense Mr. Fenton is in my eyes an almost fearless poet of great intellectual gifts. Now there is some of his other work apart from his poetry that I don't particularly care for but this book is really very fine. ( )
  lriley | Sep 5, 2006 |

Out of Danger (1994) was Fenton's first collection of poems in ten years, and the poems in it renew and amplify the qualities of unflinching observation and freewheeling verbal play that made his earlier Children in Exile so distinctive and distinguished. The poems in this book's title sequence address the dangers of love, and the love of danger; Fenton proposes that in love, politics, and poetry alike the truth is "something you say at your peril" and yet "something you shouldn't contain." Part II of the book, "Out of the East," is a series of ironical fight songs about political violence-- in Manila, the Middle East, Tiananmen Square, and elsewhere. Part III, "Maski Paps," reveals again Fenton's celebrated talents for light-verse nonsense. And in "The Manila Manifesto" he turns his gifts loose upon the world of poetry itself in ways that will both enrage and delight. Out of Danger is refined and daring, jocular and deeply challenging.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

A wry collection of poems in three parts, one of which is devoted to the dangers of love and the love of danger. A sample: "Beauty, danger and dismay / Met me on the public way. / Whichever I chose, I chose dismay." The other two parts comprise songs on political violence. By the author of Children in Exile.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible