Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson

Somewhere In Time

by Richard Matheson

Recently added byJustinDrown, private library, KimSalyers, roadkyl, wm3395, DRusolo, avalinah, LilyRoseShadowlyn
    The Time Traveller's Wife (DVD) (aliklein)
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Maude Adams;: An Intimate Portrait by Phyllis Robbins (myshelves)
    myshelves: The actress in the novel is based upon Maude Adams. This is the book the main character reads, containing the photos he describes.

One of my top all time 3 favorite movies. I can't wait to read the book,differences and all. Love and all its possibilities even tho improbable!

The book was wonderful. It did nto change my connection to the movie.In fact,a few things seem to make more sense after readign the book. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
What a wonderful story of how love knows no time. Richard finds love in the place he least expected and Elise learns to find love. I recommend this book to any romantic.

On a side note, the original name of this book is "Bid Time Return," and I'm not sure if others said this or not but, the correct names of the stars in the movie are: Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour ( )
  SLamkin | Jan 2, 2014 |
A little reminiscent of the author's What Dreams May Come, this novel is about a young man in his 30s, Richard Collier, who is dying of some fatal disease. While staying in a hotel in California, he becomes obsessed with a photograph of a long dead stage actress, Elise McKenna, who stayed at the hotel on a certain night in 1896, to the extent that his desires enable him to travel back in time to 1896 to be with her. Stated thus, it may sound rather lightweight, but it has some interesting things to say about the nature of love and obsession. Collier himself came across to me as a rather selfish character whose whole world is shaped by his desires; given his terminal condition, this may be understandable, though that condition is cured by his having travelled back in time. Elise has been told that she will meet a man who comes out of nowhere, so after initial resistance, she accepts him. However, due to a chance trivial incident at the end of the novel, Richard is abruptly transported back to 1971, the spell is broken, and he quickly declines and passes away, having left a manuscript of his experiences to be published by his sceptical brother. The whole episode takes place over a rather unbelievably short period of just a couple of days and this was perhaps the least satisfactory aspect of the story, coupled with the abruptness of his forced return to the present day. Still, a haunting novel overall. ( )
  john257hopper | Jul 23, 2013 |
I don't know, it was really creepy. But engrossing. Kind of like Twilight, where the author thinks they are being romantic but actually they are just being creepy.
Like, okay, you're this guy who is dying, and you see a picture of this actress from 75 years ago, and you decide you're in love with her, so you figure out this like, hypnosis method of time travel, right?
And then you show up in 1896, and there she is on the beach, and she's all, "Is it you?" and you're like, yep! and pretty much like that you fall in love because there was a gypsy or somebody who told her she would meet the love of her life on a beach in November. Despite the fact that you are basically acting like a completely insane person and also refusing to explain that you came from the future because that might "alarm" her, as if the whole situation isn't alarming enough as it is.
And then after you have sex, you get sucked back to the future and die of a broken heart or possibly the brain tumor and maybe it was all a hallucination. The End. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
I have always been fascinated by the concept of time travel and I have read many novels that include time travel as part of their story. Therefore, Somewhere In Time, by Richard Matheson, has been on my reading list for many years. However, I just could never convince myself to read it. Of course, I knew something about the story, i.e., I knew it was a love story. I had heard, and read, about the movie, although I don’t believe I ever saw it. I guess the fact that Somewhere In Time is primarily a love story, was a significant factor in my neglecting to read it. However, I had read and liked other novels and short stories by Richard Matheson and this novel does involve time travel. Therefore, I finally decided that it was time for me to read it. I was not surprised that I found it to be very well written and interesting. The protagonist, Richard, is a man in his late 30s who is diagnosed in 1971 with a fatal disease and decides to drive to Denver from his home in Los Angeles as a sort of final adventure. However, he detours to an historic hotel in San Diego where he sees an old photograph of an actress who performed at the hotel in 1897. He becomes obsessed with the woman in the photograph, researches her life, and falls in love with her. He convinces himself that he can (and must) travel back in time to meet her, and he accomplishes the journey to the hotel in 1897, where he meets the love of his life. Time travel enables him to have a love affair in 1897. However, the focus of this book is certainly not time travel. It focuses on his love for Elise and her love for him. Again, Matheson created a well-developed and well-written story. He also provided much interesting information about life in 1897. I found this book to be a tolerable read, but it was certainly not one that captivated me. I don’t like to think that I’m romantically deficient, but I would have preferred a more scientifically structured time-travel methodology and more action, adventure and/or violence to accompany the romance. However, I believe the book was worth reading and I found that the ending mitigated some of my disappointment with the story. Overall, I am not sorry I read it. ( )
  clark.hallman | Oct 9, 2011 |
O call back yesterdays,
bid time return
--Richard II, Act III, Sc. 2
With grateful love
for my mother

Recollection of our past together
is the happiest of time travel.
I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing on having my brother's manuscript published.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765361396, Mass Market Paperback)

Like What Dreams May Come, which inspired the movie starring Robin Williams, Somewhere in Time is the powerful story of a love that transcends time and space, written by one of the Grand Masters of modern fantasy.

Matheson's classic novel tells the moving, romantic story of a modern man whose love for a woman he has never met draws him back in time to a luxury hotel in San Diego in 1896, where he finds his soul mate in the form of a celebrated actress of the previous century. Somewhere in Time won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel, and the 1979 movie version, starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, remains a cult classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

A dying young playwright staying in a turn-of-the-century hotel becomes captivated by a painting of a beautiful stage actress from the 19th century. Obsessed, he begins to study everything he can about the woman and her time and becomes convinced he belongs with her. Through self-hypnosis, he transports himself to 1896, where he finds the soul mate he was fated to meet. But will he be able to stay?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,756,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible