Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley

Duplicate Keys (original 1984; edition 1996)

by Jane Smiley

Member:PriscillaM
Title:Duplicate Keys
Authors:Jane Smiley
Info:Flamingo (1996), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:60's, murder, New York, deceit, friendship

Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley (1984)

I recommend this book as an audiobook, if you can't find anything else. I wouldn't read it with my eyeballs, but in the car it held my attention until the end. The sex scenes are way too graphic for my taste, but if you click next two times you can get past them with no loss to the story. The characters are not likeable, and the narrative really drags, but in the end, I found the murderer's motivations to be pretty interesting -- she didn't necessarily intend to go through with the murder, but every time she moved forward with her plan, the voices of the victims in her head quieted a bit. Creepy. ( )
  read.to.live | Oct 5, 2013 |
Great for a weekend on the Blanco. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Great for a weekend on the Blanco. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Alice Ellis is a refugee from the Midwest living in Manhattan. Still recovering from a painful divorce, Alice depends on the companionship and camaraderie of a circle of tightly knit friends. At the center of this circle is a struggling rock band trying to navigate New York City's erratic music scene, and an apartment/practice space with approximately fifty key-holders. One day, Alice enters the apartment and finds two of the band members shot dead.

As the double murder sends shock waves throughout all their lives, this group of friends begins to unravel, and dangerous secrets begin to be revealed one by one. When Alice begins to notice things amiss in her own apartment, she realizes that she's not the only person with a key, and that she might not get a chance to change the locks before something happens to her.

I enjoyed this book and was hooked in to trying to discover who the murderer was. I found that although the plot was slightly dated for being written in 1984, it was still a great story that showed off what a talent Jane Smiley is an author. I give this book an A! and have placed several more books by Jane Smiley on my Wish List. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Oct 8, 2012 |
Odd Jane Smiley book. Picked the book up on the premise that nearly every author tries their hand at mystery and was curious what Smiley would bring to he genre. After finishing, I wouldn't really characterize it as a mystery. Similar in tone to Woody Allen's "Manhattan Murder Mystery", except with he 30 set instead of the 50 set and no where near as well done. Definitely inferior Smiley, had to be early in her career. The book is most successful of a character examination of Midwest transplants in Manhattan and unfulfillment of their romantic relationships. It's funny in that Smiley treats her 31 yr old characters as middle aged and failed instead of continuing to find their way. Not a bad Smiley just a lesser. ( )
  RDHawk6886 | Sep 4, 2012 |
For Althea Jompen Drew and JTH, duplicates, with affection
"I had a key. I was there to water Susan's plants, but I've always had a key."

"Sharp and memorable...Finely wrought."
NEWSDAY
They were six friends from the Midwest who moved to New York City with high hopes of making it big in the music industry. Although the dream had faded, they had all remained friends--or so it seemed. One brilliant day, two of the group were shot in an apartment for which they all had duplicate keys.
A riveting suspense story about the emotional aftermath of murder--the jealousy and hatred, the deception and rage, and the shocking secrets that lie between even the closest of friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:16 -0400)

The lives of six friends come under inspection when Alice Ellis discovers that two members of the tight-knit group have been shot to death.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,900,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible