On Fairy-stories by J. R. R. Tolkien

On Fairy-stories (1947)

by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author), Douglas A. Anderson (Editor), Verlyn Flieger (Editor)

Cory Olsen (The Tolkien Professor: http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/wp/) teaches an English class at Washington State University on the writings of JRR Tolkien (English 494).

Portions of this class are offered on iTunes...and I am following along with the lectures and the readings as much as possible. This essay On Fairy Stories is the first of the works that will be dissected and discussed.

As you can see...I have earned my nerd/geek tag honestly and I wear it with PRIDE. ;-)
  MrsJoseph | Mar 30, 2013 |
Tolkien's reflections on fairy-stories are pure brilliance. ( )
  chriskrycho | Mar 28, 2013 |

MrsJoseph | Mar 28, 2013 |

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, Douglas A.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Flieger, VerlynEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
I propose to speak on fairy stories, although I know that this is a rash adventure.
Faerie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold . . . The realm of fairy-story is wide and deep and high and filled with many things: all manner of beasts and birds are found there; shoreless seas and stars uncounted; beauty that is an enchantment, and an ever-present peril; both joy and sorrow as sharp as swords. In that realm a man may, perhaps, count himself fortunate to have wandered, but its very richness and strangeness tie the tongue of a traveller who would report them. And while he is there it is dangerous for him to ask too many questions, lest the gates should be shut and the keys be lost.
The English title of this work is "On Fairy-stories". It is a classic essay by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited in some editions by Anderson and Fleiger. It is sometimes mistitled "Tolkien on Fairy Stories" (probably copied from Amazo.com's listing), apparently because of the placement of the author's last name just above the title on the cover of some editions.

A new edition of Tolkien's most famous, and most important essay, which defined his conception of fantasy as a literary form, and which led to the writing of 'The Lord of the Rings'.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,121,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible