Election by Tom Perotta

Election (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Tom Perotta

Member:katelurkslate
Title:Election
Authors:Tom Perotta
Info:Putnam Adult (1998), Hardcover, 200 pages

Election by Tom Perrotta (1998)

I started reading this book at 11 and finished it by six the same day. Amazing. It's hard for me to describe what I liked so much about it. Yeah, there are a the typical high school stereotypes, but they are treated in such a way that's refreshing and reminds me why I'm glad to be out of high school. I really want to read some more of Tom Perrottta's books since I enjoyed this one so much. ( )
  cocoannie | Aug 19, 2013 |
I am a nearly-rabid fan of the movie version of Tom Perrotta's "Election", and it recently occurred to me that I had never read the book! Even though I'm also a big fan of Tom Perrotta's other books! Good Lord, what was I thinking? To Amazon, stat!

I'm almost certainly predisposed to give this book 5 stars given my intense love for the film, so take me with a grain of salt. But this nifty little story, with its staccato jumps from character to character as the voice of narration, as well as Perrotta's talent for creating voices the reader practically hears out loud, stands on its own two feet, apart from my movie-love.

In very different ways, the book is superior to the film, and vice versa. The book is quietly steeped in a compassion that, for me, I did not fully realize until I finished it. It was a bit like watching a flower planted in a very odd place bloom in front of you. As I began the book and noted some of the significant character differences from the movie I knew too well, I feared the book would inevitably be a let-down. I didn't think Perrotta would have the necessary space to make me warm to the substantial changes in his brief, original story. But he did.

I loved it in a very different way than the movie, and that is a very, very big compliment, coming from yours truly. ( )
  MichelleMF | Apr 17, 2013 |
I preferred the movie, really. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
I loved this short book. Perrotta's writing is really engaging; I couldn't put this down. ( )
  Caroline77 | Apr 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425167283, Paperback)

Tom Perrotta is a remarkably astute observer and writer of the adolescent experience. His Bad Haircut: Stories of the Seventies is a delightful collection of coming-of-age stories, which give insight into the joys and agonies of adolescence. In Perrotta's first full-length novel The Wishbones, a 31-year-old musician can't quite cope with the responsibilities of adulthood and instead lives an extended adolescence. Perrotta's much-anticipated second novel Election again successfully ventures into the adolescent psyche.

The book is set in a New Jersey high school amidst a hotbed of political activity: students are voting for their school president. Perrotta's cast of characters are exaggerated but convincing. They convey adolescence as it often is--sometimes painful and frequently awkward. Tracy is the popular girl, smart and pretty, but she isn't quite as perfect as her classmates assume. A sordid affair with a teacher lurks in the shadows. Paul is the jovial football jock, but his parent's divorce has left him hurt and vulnerable. Then there is Paul's younger and geekier sister Tammy, the tormented underdog struggling with her sexuality. Plot develops through a series of mini-chapters, narrated by the main protagonists. There are also frequent interjections from Mr. M, the all-around good teacher every kid loves--the kind of teacher Hollywood loves to enshrine in sentimental flicks. A genuine crescendo of excitement and anticipation consumes the reader, as we eagerly await who has won the election. This is a novel of teenagers on the brink of adulthood, and is probably best appreciated by grownups with enough perspective on their own adolescent experiences to be able to take the bitter with the sweet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:36 -0400)

A high-school presidential election, contested by a hunky football hero and a sex bomb. The novel describes the intrigues of the students and the teachers on behalf of the candidates. By the author of The Wishbones.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible