First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain

First Rider's Call (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Kristen Britain

Member:eviltammy
Title:First Rider's Call
Authors:Kristen Britain
Info:DAW (2004), Paperback, 608 pages
Collections:Your library, donate
Tags:donate

First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain (2003)

Overall, solid books, in a solid series, with enough continuity to make you want more, and enough wrap up in each book so far to not feel like you're being hung out on a cliff. For horse mad teenagers who read fantasy, this would be a definite win, but I'm not sure a rabid Valdemar fan could read it without making the comparisons I do. I think Valdemar, as a series, is more coherent and possibly better written, at least the early books. But I'm no rabid fan, and Talia always seemed a little self-righteous to me, so I enjoy the Green Rider series mostly because I like the characters better.
Reivew (with book #3) @ Booklikes For horse mad teenagers who read fantasy and haven't read Valdemar (can there even be such a thing?) these are bound to be a hit. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
My thoughts:

This is then book 2 and a little time has gone by since the events in book 1. Karigan felt the need to come back to the capital and become a real Green Rider and that is what she is now. And of course even if the danger was averted in book 1 there is still the danger of the wall that now is broken in the north. And of a presence that is dangerous and mad and he wants destruction. Yes a crazy bad guy, one has to love those.

Karigan has come to terms (sort of) that she now is a rider, and she is good at it. She has grown a bit since the last book but I do like the fact that she is not perfect, she still has got her fears. She is also learning how to become a better fighter. Other characters are Rider Alton who is up in the north trying to fix the wall so no evil things can get through. He may not be around a lot but I do like him. King Zachary is trying his best to hold his people together and he does not need to do much for me to really like him..a lot. Through a journal we meet Alessandros who came over with ships 1000 years ago to conquer the lands. And he was not a nice conqueror. But I sure liked learning more about the history of this land, and there are also clues what it all has to do with Karigan since her name is whispered in the win. A mystery, I can't say more.

This book is sure long but there are a lot of things happening and a lot of things explained. In book 1 we learnt about a war but here we get to learn more. And it's fascinating. The history is rich and I want more, especially about the place the evil people came from (not that all were evil but let's just call them that.)

Then we have the crazy bad guy who unleashes wild magic and things get weird. I also talked about a hint of romance in book 1 and here there is more, not romance, but looks, smiles and thoughts. Enough for me to wish with all my heart that Karigan can be with the one she loves, but alas no, for it's the king. And this is not a fairytale.

Conclusion:

Wild Magic and adventure. I liked book 1 and I enjoyed book 2 even more. Because this is why I enjoy fantasy, rich history and a world built on that history. It's a nice fantasy story that does not get too violent, sad or bleak. And it made me want to read more.

I enjoyed it. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
The is a sequel to "The Green Rider," which I read shortly after it came out. It was good enough that I bothered to pick up the sequel - but not so good that I really went out of my way to find it.
"First Rider's Call" continues with more of the same. It's fantasy for those who like long stories with girls, horses, light romance and magic. Adequate, entertaining, but nothing really memorable or remarkable.
Karigan, the young woman who was called to the magical royal messenger service known as the Green Riders in the last book, now finds herself at the center of a problem - something is going wrong with the magic. It's becoming unpredictable, often wrong. Could the elflike people known as Eletians be behind this? Or is there a bigger issue going on? Karigan finds spiritual guidance from the first Green Rider, and seeks to solve this problem, sort out her love life, and gain some maturity. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is a really good read ever time I had to put it down I was like leave me alone I need to finish reading, at the same time however I'm not in love with the writing style, serious LOTR connections and sometimes things felt a little too perfectly place, so much foreshadowing. There will be sentences where it's Karigan felt like this was going to happen followed by that happening so its not even really good foreshadowing. Then there are things like someone will die and everyone is horrified and I'm sitting going who died? when did we meet them, did we even meet them?
I struggled a bit with Tolkien because his written is so full of description and fine detail but in the end I felt like I knew middle earth, I don't really feel like I know Karigan's world and I very much so would like to, the concept is fantastic and I feel compelled to keep reading despite the flaws. ( )
  SamCanesi | Feb 5, 2016 |
I liked it; I did not start reading series until 1st 4 books were published or I think I would have been ticked off waiting 4 years between books. Did not perfectly seem to fit with first book and did not seem to be a complete story arc in and of itself (definitely would not read without first reading first book in series). ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
In honor of my grandparents:
Leona Springer and Alan Britain, Sr.
Emma Momberger and George C. Momberger
We sail into the night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756401933, Mass Market Paperback)

In this long-awaited sequel to Green Rider, Karigan G'ladheon finds herself in a world of deadly danger and complex magic. Compelled by forces she cannot understand, she becomes one of the legendary Green Riders-magic messengers to the king. Pursued by the ghost of the First Rider, Karigan will re-enter the life of the Green Riders-just as an ancient evil is reawakening...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

Karigan G'Ladheon was a green Rider, one of the King of Sacoridia's magical messengers. With evil forces at large in the kingdom and the messenger service depleted and weakened, can Karigan reach through the veils of time to get help from the First Rider, a woman who has been dead for a thousand years?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,423,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible