Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die…

Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die Schatten-Trilogie 2] (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Brent Weeks, Hans Link (Übersetzer)

Member:cuthalion
Title:Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die Schatten-Trilogie 2]
Authors:Brent Weeks
Other authors:Hans Link (Übersetzer)
Info:Blanvalet (2010), Ausgabe: 1., Taschenbuch, 704 Seiten
Rating:*****

Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy, Book 2) by Brent Weeks (2008)

Recently added byprivate library, PegD, angry77man, wimvandorst, Nanerz, EliYozetbahMarram, Jontis, samtin

English (58)  Spanish (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All (61)
Heading onto the third book now. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Not sure why I keep reading this series. I don't really care about the characters except maybe for Dorian and Elene, I still don't understand the distinction between the magic users, and the plot seems unnecessarily complicated. ( )
  e2d2 | Jun 2, 2017 |

Genre: SFF
Pages: 645
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Kylar has sworn to give up killing to live in peace with Elene. They move to another city and Kylar begins life as an apothecary. But his hunger for justice causes him to go out each night, and while not killing, he does distribute justice to lowlifes and criminals.

All of that changes when his best friend Jarl, now the Shinga of Kylar's former city-home, comes begging for him to do one last job: Kill the godking. Unfortunately, another wetboy, Viv (who's a girl) is on the job to kill Jarl for the godking. Kylar watches his best friend die before his eyes. To make matters worse, Kylar must leave Elene (who he was going to ask to marry him the next day), for good. Because killing the godking is a one way job. He won't be returning from it.

He ends up hooking up with Viv through an incredible amount of circumstance twisting and they decide to work together to kill the godking. Turns out Viv is the godking's daughter and he has a magical hold of her. Kylar and Viv overcome through the magic of love (or at least, bonding magic) and everything is hunky dory.

Except Elene is kidnapped, Kylar can never be with her, he is magically bonded to a woman who killed his best friend, most of Kylar's friends and acquaintances are dead by the godking's hands and yet another city-state is waiting on the border to take over. And Kylar still doesn't know the cost of him coming back to life each time. He should really find out, you know?

My Thoughts:

Man, I plowed through this in 2 days, or just a little less really. I started Friday evening (hence my post A Small Selection) and was done by 10am Sunday morning. It was not a “I have to get through this, so man up, soldier and start marching” kind of drive. I just couldn't stop reading. Even while I knew roughly what was going to happen because this was a re-read.

The main downside to this book was that I had just read Return of the Crimson Guard and that book, while leaving me somewhat frustrated, also awed me with its depth, amount of plot threads being woven simultaneously and the battle scenes. Sadly, Weeks did not, really could not, compare. His writing was not bad, it was good in fact but it just wasn't AS GOOD. When you read two Epic Fantasy Books almost back to back, comparisons are going to happen whether you want them to or not. So read this after reading something by Michael Crichton or Modesitt and everything will be just fine.

For the record, I rated this higher than Crimson Guard. I enjoyed it more.

The biggest upside was a scene where Weeks totally riffs on Star Wars. As I stated, Viv is the godking's daughter. She's been developing feelings for Kylar during their stint together. Then, during one of the climactic clashes between the 2 wetboys and the godking, the godking lets it out that he's also Kylar's father. So a total Leia and Luke scenario. But it gets better. The godking then hollers out, “Just kidding!” I just about died laughing. Even now, while I'm typing this up, it still makes me laugh. And if you don't get the Star Wars reference, you'll lose nothing from the story. It just won't be as rich.

Like I mentioned in my Small Selection post, the violence here is pretty intense. Thankfully, it is not glamourized, but Weeks doesn't hold back in the slightest. Also the profanity is at the same level and of the same style as in Book 1. It's very anachronistic, besides being unnecessary.

There is another whole storyline revolving around Logan, the rightful King, that I'm not going to touch on.This is a 2 weave story and his is the second. It's pretty much about what a good man will do to survive and not cross the line into becoming a villain.

This book was just as good as when I read it in '09 and the trilogy as a whole is holding up as well.
*double thumbs up*

★★★★ ½ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | May 29, 2017 |
Kylar tries to make a life with Elene and without killing. He ends up going back to the fallen city and rescuing Logan. Another wetboy, girl, kidnaps Uly and takes all traces of Kylar's love for Elene. Elene thinks that Kylar has left. The Wetboy girl breaks a spell placed on her by the Godking by using old bonding magic with Kylar and kills the Godking. Kylar is now married to Vi, the girl wetboy. And Durzo comes back right at the end. He's not dead.

Going to be interesting to see how Weeks ties everything up in one final book. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I thought this was actually stronger than the first book, with a more linear plot and more interesting characters. I didn't like Elene's storyline (or the character) but other than that I thought this was decent, although nowhere near as good as George R. R. Martin or Robin Hobb.

I noticed that there were more and more compelling female characters in this book, with more relationship to the plot, and I wonder if Weeks was responding to criticism about the largely male cast in the first book.

Curious to read the final book in the trilogy and see how it all turns out. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, for never doubting-not even when I did.
For Kevin, because it's a big brother's job to make a little brother tough. What you taught me, I've needed. (But I never have been right since that dirt clod incident.)
"We've got a contract for you," Momma K said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033650, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times Bestselling author Brent Weeks...

Kylar Stern has rejected the assassin's life. The Godking's successful coup has left Kylar's master, Durzo, and his best friend, Logan, dead. He is starting over: new city, new friends, and new profession.

But when he learns that Logan might actually be alive and in hiding, Kylar is faced with an agonizing choice: will he give up the way of shadows forever and live in peace with his new family, or will he risk everything by taking on the ultimate hit?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

Kylar has rejected the assassin's life in the wake of the Godking's violent coup, but when he learns that Logan Gyre, heir to Cenaria's throne, might be alive, trapped and in hiding, Kylar faces an impossible choice.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,099,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible