Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die…

Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die Schatten-Trilogie 2] (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Brent Weeks, Hans Link (Übersetzer)

1,634None4,429 (4.19)43
Member:cuthalion
Title:Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die Schatten-Trilogie 2]
Authors:Brent Weeks
Other authors:Hans Link (Übersetzer)
Info:Blanvalet (2010), Ausgabe: 1., Taschenbuch, 704 Seiten
Rating:*****

Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks (2008)

Recently added bypaolaloris, Waffleydoom, private library, Broc_Hervey, dcpoc1985, Mr_Wolf, xeones, EddyRoberts, dwsmac

English (40)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Icelandic (1)  All languages (44)
Not a review as much as what I think:
I thought it was better than the first book. Still confused at times by all the magic systems and who's who of characters. The series could use a glossary or a list of characters. My thoughts and YMMV. ( )
  donalbane26 | Feb 6, 2014 |
Thoroughly enjoyed the second book of this trilogy, and diving right into the third book! ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
Kylar tries to make a life with Elene and without killing. He ends up going back to the fallen city and rescuing Logan. Another wetboy, girl, kidnaps Uly and takes all traces of Kylar's love for Elene. Elene thinks that Kylar has left. The Wetboy girl breaks a spell placed on her by the Godking by using old bonding magic with Kylar and kills the Godking. Kylar is now married to Vi, the girl wetboy. And Durzo comes back right at the end. He's not dead.

Going to be interesting to see how Weeks ties everything up in one final book. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Shadow’s Edge is the second book in the Night Angel trilogy. It continues the story of Kylar, who has left his earlier life of an assassin behind and tries to lead a “normal” life together with Elene. Meanwhile the Godking strengthens his hold on Cenaria while the true king, Logan Gyre, tries to survive in the worst dungeon imaginable.
The second book has more plot twists than the first and develops the characters further. Some characters that only played a minor part in The Way of Shadows become main characters during Shadow’s Edge. I loved the insight into some of the minor characters (the focus of the first book was on Kylar), it gave the book depth.
I first read this story some months ago in German (my local library only had an English copy of the first book in the series). After finishing the series I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the plots within plots and character development, so I decided to re-read the series. As an audiobook fan I now listened to the English audiobook. Paul Boehmer is a decent narrator and I enjoyed listening to the audiobook immensely. Even though I already knew the story I finished the audiobook (21 hours) in about four days.
Knowing the story already I could pay more attention to the details and little hints and plot twists. That might also have been due to the way the narrator of the audiobook presents the story.
Comparing the book to George R. R. Martin’s series A Song of Ice and Fire, I certainly prefer the Night Angel Trilogy. It is a complex book with plot twists, surprises and well-developed characters without the lengthiness of Martin’s books.
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
Holy mother, this book was good. I thought [b:The Way of Shadows|3227063|The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)|Brent Weeks|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327881551s/3227063.jpg|3261241] was good, but it was nothing compared to this one! Weeks really hit his stride in this volume of the story, and I absolutely loved every minute of it.

It's been a long time since I got really emotionally drawn into a good old fashioned fantasy trilogy. I don't know when exactly it happened, but this series definitely broke that dry spell. I don't remember feeling quite so emotionally attached to the characters while reading [b:The Way of Shadows|3227063|The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)|Brent Weeks|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327881551s/3227063.jpg|3261241].. And I'm not quite sure when exactly I became attached to them. I didn't even realize I was attached to them until... Well I can't say what it was, because that would spoil it, and I'd determined to make this a spoiler free review. But the thingy thing I'm talking about? I did not see it coming at all, and my heart was instantly broken. That's when I realized this characters had become real to me, and there was no turning back.

And damn. The twist in the epilogue? Did not see that coming either. There was just so much good in this book.. I want to gush and gush about all of the things I loved about it, but I don't want my review to be full of spoilers, so I'm forcing myself to hold back.

Bottom line - if you liked the first book, you won't be disappointed by this one. In fact, I think you'll be pretty damn impressed by it. It's not often that I end up rating the second in a series higher than the first in the series, but it's happening with Night Angel. Five stars.... And now I have to wrap this up, so I can get to reading book three! ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, for never doubting-not even when I did.
For Kevin, because it's a big brother's job to make a little brother tough. What you taught me, I've needed. (But I never have been right since that dirt clod incident.)
"We've got a contract for you," Momma K said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033650, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times Bestselling author Brent Weeks...

Kylar Stern has rejected the assassin's life. The Godking's successful coup has left Kylar's master, Durzo, and his best friend, Logan, dead. He is starting over: new city, new friends, and new profession.

But when he learns that Logan might actually be alive and in hiding, Kylar is faced with an agonizing choice: will he give up the way of shadows forever and live in peace with his new family, or will he risk everything by taking on the ultimate hit?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:48 -0400)

Kylar has rejected the assassin's life in the wake of the Godking's violent coup, but when he learns that Logan Gyre, heir to Cenaria's throne, might be alive, trapped and in hiding, Kylar faces an impossible choice.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,470,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible