Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die…

Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die Schatten-Trilogie 2] (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Brent Weeks, Hans Link (Übersetzer)

Member:cuthalion
Title:Am Rande der Schatten: Roman - [Die Schatten-Trilogie 2]
Authors:Brent Weeks
Other authors:Hans Link (Übersetzer)
Info:Blanvalet (2010), Ausgabe: 1., Taschenbuch, 704 Seiten
Rating:*****

Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks (2008)

Recently added byprivate library, Nickpickle05, Jawin, Karunar

English (44)  Spanish (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (47)
I have to keep pinching myself to remind me that this trilogy is the first series this author has written. Yes these books are just that good!

This is a really good effort at a middle book in a trilogy. It bridges well the gap between building the characters in the first and the big climax in the third. This is the classic 'I'm trying to get out but they keep dragging me back in' part of the storyline, and it's been done in a sympathetic and believable way.

This book continues on from the war and conquest and the subsequent terror unleashed by the God King on the people of Cenaria. We also see the very difficult realities for people living under the boot of an occupation army: starvation, murder, rioting and rape are a daily reality. Most affected are the poor of the Warrens who find themselves brutalised on a daily basis.

Azoth has graduated from his apprenticeship with Durzo Blint to his new life as Kylar, a ‘wetboy’ assassin. Both his master and his closest friend, Logan, are dead, killed in the fighting during the coup. Or are they?

In the face of an ultimatum from the woman he loves, Kylar tries to escape the assassin's life, and settle down in another city with his family. He tries to cope with having to deal with troublemakers and problems in another way rather than just flat out eliminating whatever – and whoever - annoys him.

Of course, we know his past will catch up with him ...

I'm about to start the third and final book in this series, I'm hoping it will be as good as the first two. ( )
  Jawin | Jul 19, 2014 |
Book Info: Genre: Dark epic fantasy
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: fans of dark epic fantasy
Trigger Warnings: murder, killing, assassination, violence, rape, torture, mutilation, stealing, slavery, cannibalism, danger to child/kidnapping, sexual assault

My Thoughts: This second book in the Night Angel trilogy is much better edited than the first book, which is very strange; I guess maybe there was a different editor? Why they wouldn't have had an editor go through the omnibus edition to check for consistency I don't know but there it is.

Things move along very quickly in this book. Kylar learns more about his abilities and Talent, as well as the “extras” that the ka'kari provides him. I was very happy about some of the people who are disposed of in this book, and also intrigued by some of the new characters that show up. One this this author is very good at is creating characters that will cause a reaction in the reader, be it good or bad. There is a great deal of gray in the series, where the bad guys aren't really evil so much as twisted, and the heroes are often damaged in ways that make them less than perfect. I like this sort of thing.

If you like dark epic fantasy, with an antihero and lots of violence, check out this trilogy. Don't let the problems with the first book put you off; this one is better.

Series Information: The Night Angel Trilogy
Book 1: The Way of Shadows, review linked here
Book 2: Shadow's Edge
Book 3: Beyond the Shadows

Disclosure: I purchased the omnibus edition of the trilogy for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Kylar Stern has rejected the assassin's life. The Godking's successful coup has left Kylar's master, Durzo, and his best friend, Logan, dead. He is starting over: new city, new friends, and new profession.

But when he learns that Logan might actually be alive and in hiding, Kylar is faced with an agonizing choice: will he give up the way of shadows forever and live in peace with his new family, or will he risk everything by taking on the ultimate hit? ( )
  Katyas | May 30, 2014 |
I greatly enjoyed this book. However, its overwhelmingly dark plot lines and material prevented me from reading it the way I'd normally read a book- day after day. I had to leave and come back to it, because it depressed me.

I want to read the sequel, though perhaps it might be best if I read a happier book first.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
This book caused no end of frustration. I think I only hung on because of some morbid curiosity as to how the characters would suffer. Weeks has a disgustingly naive view of sexuality. I want to slap him with a wet fish and then dump him in Amsterdam. Get a grip.

*sigh* And yet, despite all of these criticisms, I'm still a bit hooked. The dynamic is interesting and the action scenes are extremely well written. We'll see if I continue to wish for lead characters to die and vacate the story (it would be a mercy, I assure).

Toilet-side, potato chip reading, i.e. it gets the job done. ( )
  konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, for never doubting-not even when I did.
For Kevin, because it's a big brother's job to make a little brother tough. What you taught me, I've needed. (But I never have been right since that dirt clod incident.)
"We've got a contract for you," Momma K said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033650, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times Bestselling author Brent Weeks...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:48 -0400)

Kylar has rejected the assassin's life in the wake of the Godking's violent coup, but when he learns that Logan Gyre, heir to Cenaria's throne, might be alive, trapped and in hiding, Kylar faces an impossible choice.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible