Moonlight (Dark Guardian, Book 1) by Rachel…

Moonlight (Dark Guardian, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Rachel Hawthorne

Member:JeracaFite
Title:Moonlight (Dark Guardian, Book 1)
Authors:Rachel Hawthorne
Info:HarperTeen (2009), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read (Young Adult)

Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne

predictable just about describes it.

I liked some of Lucas's lines but I didn't like Kayla a whole lot. Maybe, something about the issues. It was a enjoyable, pick-me-up read but it doesn't rank up high in the werewolf/shifter must read. I was surprised that there was no pain when she shifted.

the telepathy was odd, the soul mates thing sounds a little...cruel. poor devlin. if the girl won't take you, suffer bitch. that seems cruel.

ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
To be honest, the cover did nothing for me. I actually looked at it and moved on straight away. Then two young girls appeared beside me. One of them picked the book up and said, “This is a werewolf romance.” They walked off, book in hand, and I moved back to the pile of books and picked one up to read the blurb.

The blurb interested me. I’m not interested in reading vampires stories anymore, but hadn’t read a romance involving werewolves. The price was right, so I was willing to give it a go.

And I’m glad I did. Yes, it might be a bit cheesy in places. Yes, I groaned and rolled my eyes at a couple of spots where the romance was far from reality (in my honest opinion). But … the book was easy to read and quite absorbing.

I liked the characters, especially the main characters – Kayla and Lucas. Kayla isn’t sure of herself, which was a bit irritating, but she had a lot of baggage and I was able to make allowances for her. Lucas is the mysterious one. We know he’s a werewolf, but Kayla doesn’t. They are well suited, but then there’s Mason; smart, good looking and attentive.

The setting was particularly interesting. The group were hiking and camping through a forest, which presented its own dangers. I enjoyed the fact that whilst I had a clear idea of their surroundings, the author didn’t go on and on with long descriptions. Top marks for that.

The other thing I liked about the book was the fact that it is written in a way that shows werewolves (or shifters as they prefer to be called) as the good guys and a small majority of humans (or statics) as the baddies. It is refreshing to read about a topic (meaning werewolves), which is usually connected with death and violence, and have it approached from a different angle that shows it can be totally different to what is expected. If werewolves really existed, these are the type I’d like to see in the world.

I really did enjoy this book. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Nov 12, 2013 |
Read the full Review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

I loved reading this story. Werewolves were put in a new and refreshing view and this time it were actually the female werewolves who got a say in chosing a mate. Go emancipation! No more woman who are stuck with a mate they don’t want (at first of course, since mates are destined to be together and it’s always quite nice to see them growing to love each other ;) )

A couple of pages I had the assumption that a naked Lucas was carrying Kayla on his shoulder. Till the moment he planned on becoming a wolf and threw his pants to her (okay so he wasn’t naked -.-). I missed a small, important sentence phrase where he puts on his pants, but it made it a lot more interesting ;) (although I kept wondering why Kayla stayed calm. She would have had an amazing view ;) )

The moment Kayla turned into a wolf was an anticlimax. The description of becoming one is that it will be painful and even dangerous, people died when they transformed. The real scene is over in a minute and I didn’t get the feeling that it was that difficult or painful (not that I wanted her to suffer) but a piece of cake. That’s quite a contradiction….

As a rule, I’m a team player, except when I’m not.

Okay, this phrase seems logical, but I actually had to read it 4 or 5 times before I got what means. Is it me (and no, I was not tired at that moment ;) )?

My overall rating is 4 hearts. I honestly enjoyed reading this book, but it wasn’t enough for 5. Why? Not the faintest idea. It lacked that bit of magic to keep me glued to it. It’s still a great book to read and I will definitely read the next one in this series. ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Oct 6, 2013 |
The story Moonlight sets out to tell is not a bad one, though it is somewhat lacking in originality. However, right at the point where the plot starts to get good, it drops the ball completely, leaving the end result a massive letdown.

Full review at http://luplun.blogspot.com/
  LupLun | Aug 14, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Kayla thinks she's stumbled onto a great summer job with people she connected with last summer. Right now, she's the newbie and can't wait to start pulling her weight. She's hoping to figure out some deep dark issues hidden under the surface about her past - the murder of her parents in the very woods she'll be working in this summer.

She can't help but feel Lucas's eyes on her. She knows that he's older, but she can't help crushing over him anyways. What she doesn't realize, but soon begins to unravel, is that Lucas isn't like other boys.

In fact, the townspeople aren't exactly normal. They mate for life at the age of seventeen, and Kayla's birthday marks the beginning of a trip. She has no idea what's going on around her, but with a group of scientists heading into the woods in hopes of catching a legendary werewolf, she's about to find out.

What she discovers leaves her as breathless as when she discovers she's head-over-heels for Lucas.

MOONLIGHT is slightly different than Rachel Hawthorne's other novels. While all have romance, this darker series plays with the supernatural. DARK GUARDIAN is not a series to miss. Hawthorne expertly weaves romance with the supernatural and cloaks them with danger. ( )
  GeniusJen | Jun 13, 2010 |
Moonlight washed over us, washed over Lucas and me.

I see him and I know what this turmoil inside of me means: He's the one. My forever.

KAYLA is the nature lover, the all-American beauty who can't understand why she's so drawn to distant, brooding Lucas. Adopted as a young child, she has no way of knowing that she's inherited a terrifying-and thrilling-gene that will change her life forever.

LUCAS is dangerous, gorgeous ... and a werewolf. As leader of the Dark Guardians, shape-shifters who gather deep within the state park, he has sworn to protect his pack. But when Lucas finds his true soul mate, his love could put them all in harm's way.

As Lucas and Kayla struggle with their feelings for each other, a greater danger lurks: Humans have discovered the Dark Guardians and are planning their destruction. Kayla must choose between the life she knows and the love she feels certain is her destiny.

While working as a wilderness guide in the national forest where her parents were killed twelve years earlier, seventeen-year-old Kayla is powerfully drawn to Lucas, who she learns is her appointed guardian--and much more--as she discovers her true identity and destiny.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible