The Fetch by Laura Whitcomb

The Fetch

by Laura Whitcomb

English (15)  Spanish (1)  All languages (16)
An interesting fantasy book that takes place during the Russian Revolution. The main character, Calder, is a fetch - a person who fetches a soul to heaven. He makes a decision that puts himself and the two children in his care in terrible danger. They take a journey around the world in search of answers.

This was an interesting book, but as different as it was I couldn't get lost in the story or even feel for any of the characters. They just didn't draw me in. ( )
  mbklibrary | Aug 25, 2013 |
I was very excited about this title b/c I call A Certain Slant of Light a favorite of mine. I was a bit scared, though, b/c historical, be it fantasy or not, has never been my forte. Overall, I was pleased with The Fetch, but have to admit it had it's sour points.

The Good: The lyrical writing style Laura Whitcomb brings to the page is amazing. Sentences are formatted in such a way that even the most upsetting scene could be considered 'calm'. Her style isn't hard to get into, like others that could be considered lyrical, nor is it boring.

The storyline is intriguing and will grab you instantly, even if you have very little knowledge of the Romanov Family's history. Character wise, characters are fully developed and you really do feel for them very early on into the story. And romances... Laura Whitcomb writes them beautifully, though this romance doesn't come into play until the latter half of the book.

The Not So Good: As with her debut novel, there are bits of the story that seem both a bit rushed or a bit lagging. 60 percent into the book, I do feel that it dragged quite a bit and I found myself wishing that they would hurry up and get where they were going so a new plot device could be introduced.

Like I said, even-though The Fetch had it's flaws, it is still a good read. I recommend it to those who liked A Certain Slant of Light or think the premise looks good. Give it a try! ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Calder is a Fetch, a soul who escorts people on their journey to heaven. One day he shows up at a Death Scene, waiting to see if an infant chooses to die or not. The woman holding the baby takes his breath away. She's beautiful and has a kind, caring, sad face. He can't get her out of his thoughts, and his work begins to suffer for it.

The Fetch was okay, I just felt like I never really connected with anyone. I'm beginning to wonder if I really don't like third-person narratives and just never noticed before. Here, I just felt like I was told a lot of stuff and not really shown anything. I'm told that Calder has always felt like he shouldn't be a Fetch because he has trouble with obedience, but the little I see before the story really starts shows a guy who honestly tries his best. Eventually I was told that he's in love with someone, but I didn't really see it happening. Maybe the author was trying to keep the story short, but I felt like this book should have been longer to show me everything that was happening rather than just telling me and hoping that I accepted it.

At the beginning, Alexis is a whiny, bratty teenager. I freely admit that if I'd gone through what he'd gone through, I would have easily out-whined him. But I have very, very little tolerance for angsty teenagers, so he really turned me off.

There were times that I just wanted to shake Calder and tell him to start thinking. He finds out that there are two things he has to do. One of them was obvious to me from the beginning. It took him forever to figure it out.

Calder ends up on a journey that lasts most of the book, and it ultimately felt like there was absolutely no point to it. No point at all.

There were things I liked. I liked the author's ideas and descriptions of what happens on the journey to heaven. The only thing I knew about this was what I read in my aunt's review, and she's always great about not giving too much away, so I had no idea when the story took place or who it involved. I really liked both, but I won't tell you any more than that. And that's a shame because it makes it look like there were more things I disliked than otherwise. This really was about half and half, but I don't want to give anything away.

The subtitle for this is A Supernatural Romance. If that appeals to you, and you know that you don't mind being told things rather than shown, go ahead and pick it up. It really was a unique story with a lot of promise, it just didn't quite live up to what I expected. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Described on its cover as a Supernatural Romance, this is a book would would most likely have passed by. Thank you Linda for sending it my way, because it was so much more! This book is a journey and a lesson in forgiveness and empathy and more. Is it great literature? No it is better. It is a book that promises much and you feel in your heart that these promises will be fulfilled.

Remember the Romanovs? There were two children whose bodies were missing from the mass grave where the family was found. This is a fictional account of where they might have gone. It is also a spiritual and emotional journey into the light, and a fall into darkness. It is a description of the here, the hereafter and the in between.

Recommended! ( )
3 vote mckait | Jan 7, 2013 |
browsed not read for project on the Russian Revolution. ( )
  Jmmott | Dec 1, 2011 |
For my father, my hero--my first example of masculine strength and how that power should champion peace.
Calder was a Fetch, a death escort, and had been since his own death at the age of nineteen.

Calder is a Fetch, a death escort, the first of his kind to step from Heaven back to Earth.The first to fall in love with a mortal girl. But when he climbs backwards out of that Death Scene, into the chaos of the Russian Revolution, he tears a wound in the ghost realm, where the spirits begin a revolution of their own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:49 -0400)

After 350 years as a Fetch, or death escort, Calder breaks his vows and enters the body of Rasputin, whose spirit causes rebellion in the Land of Lost Souls while Calder struggles to convey Ana and Alexis, orphaned in the Russian Revolution, to Heaven.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible