Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner

Bones of Faerie

by Janni Lee Simner

I loved the author's take on magic, and how she used actions, and not long drawn-out descriptions, to show us the relations between the characters.

Liza and Matthew all the way! (:
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
Solid and involving, this book posits a war in modern times between humans and Faerie. The world after the war is different, scarier and more dangerous. Trees and vines are carnivorous, for example. Liza has always known that any manifestation of magic mustn't be tolerated. Her father says so. Surely he's right. Isn't he? ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
There was this one line I thought was beautiful:

Wind blew through my silence.
  toplofty_biped | Apr 4, 2013 |
Very good book! :D A refreshing read with an amazing new world, a believable and intriguing fem-pro, and a great but simple plot. I enjoyed this book quite a bit. :] ( )
  JessiJames | Apr 2, 2013 |
I have heard wonderful things about Bones of Faerie, so I decided to pick it up. I didn’t realize, however, that it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. This makes Bones of Faerie completely different from other faerie stories on the market today. Even though I was a bit disappointed that I wasn’t transported into a beautiful, magical realm, the story itself was still good and I think we will get to see more of Faerie in future novels.

Even though I liked the characters in Bones of Faerie (particularly Allie), I am not strongly attached to them yet. I wouldn’t describe Liza as a kick-ass heroine, even though she is brave. There is just something missing, which would take her from likable to lovable. Since there is quite a bit of history between some of the older characters, I expect that the more time I spend with everyone, the more I will love them. Bones of Faerie is a pretty short read, so it is hard to get to know the characters as well as I’d might like to.

My favorite part of the novel was defiantly the plot! I like dystopians and I love faerie stories. I am typically hesitant with post-apocalyptic novels, but a post-apocalyptic world wrapped in magic worked really well for me. Part of the draw is that different areas of the world live very differently when it comes to magic. Seeing the rest of the world with Liza was great for the reader because it was new to both of us. I like learning with my characters, rather than having to figure out things they already know since authors sometimes do not explain these things.

Bones of Faerie is nothing if not unique. I have never seen dystopian and fantasy blended together in such a beautiful manner. While the characters are good, it is the plot that makes the story stand out. I am still hoping to see a really cool faerie world and hope that this will happen in future novels. ( )
  AboutToRead | Jan 5, 2013 |
For Lary: 3333, 4556, 5645.
But you knew that, right?
"I had a sister once."

The war between humanity and Faerie devastated both sides. Or so 15-year-old Liza has been told. Nothing has been seen or heard from Faerie since, and Liza’s world bears the scars of its encounter with magic. Trees move with sinister intention, and the town Liza calls home is surrounded by a forest that threatens to harm all those who wander into it. Then Liza discovers she has the Faerie ability to see—into the past, into the future—and she has no choice but to flee her town. Liza’s quest will take her into Faerie and back again, and what she finds along the way may be the key to healing both worlds.

Janni Lee Simner’s first novel for young adults is a dark fairy-tale twist on apocalyptic fiction—as familiar as a nightmare, yet altogether unique.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:33 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Liza travels through war-ravaged territory in a struggle to bridge the faerie and human worlds and to bring back her mother while learning of her own powers and that magic can be controlled.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible