Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana…

Lord John and the Private Matter (2003)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Lord John (1), Outlander (3.2)

English (45)  French (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (49)
After reading the Outlander series straight through, I think anything would be a disappointment afterwards. This book didn't hold my attention very well... unless I heard mention of Jamie Fraser. The narrator did well on the audiobook though. I am going to read the next in this series instead of listen, maybe it will be better that way. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Trouble befalls Lord John Grey (fresh from minor roles in Gabaldon's bestselling Outlander novels) when he accidentally discovers that the Hon. Joseph Trevelyan, his cousin's betrothed, may have what those in 1757 termed "the pox" or "the French disease" syphilis. Before he can figure out an appropriate way to handle this delicate matter, he becomes involved in the investigation of the mysterious and grisly murder of a military colleague suspected of being a spy. Gabaldon (The Fiery Cross; Drums of Autumn; etc.) stitches these two plots together into a compelling narrative that also offers a wealth of juicy details about 18th-century London, especially its homosexual underbelly. Lord John, who reminisces about his dead lover, Hector, and the "lean, hard body" of an old flame, learns that Trevelyan may be traveling from one house of ill repute to another of a different sort: at the Lavender House, both buyers and sellers are men. Among his various trials and tribulations, Lord John must discern the identity of a mysterious figure in a green velvet dress spotted in both of these establishments and investigate the mysterious death of a similarly attired man, found with his face bashed in. Grey is a competent and likable sleuth, and Gabaldon's prose is crisply elegant. Her many fans will be happy to learn that this is the first in a series about the travails of Lord John Grey. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Read this review on my blog

The first full sized novel featuring Lord John Grey.

The reader is introduced to a little bit of Lord John's life, such as his family, his place within society and politics. The mysteries and intrigues in this book were so engrossing though I found the resolution kind of anti-climatic.

I loved all the historical details about the gay scene in 18th Century London, and of the death sentence syphilis presented. Lord John's homosexuality is explored a bit more in this book, and I began to see the need for secrecy and the paranoia that inevitable must accompany such a secret in the time period.

All in all the story was intriguing but I felt the book was dragged on a little longer than it needed to be. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I have never read the Outlander books and just came across this in the audiobook section of the library and decided to give it a try. I found it an okay read but am going to look for the Outlander books next time I'm at the library since it sounds like they are better written. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This was my first novel by Diana Gabaldon and she did not disappoint. I have always enjoyed the short stories I have read of hers now I am looking forward to reading more of her novels. ( )
  Clifford.Terry | Apr 30, 2015 |

Gabaldon, Dianaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Margaret Scott Gabaldon and Kay Fears Watkins,
my children's wonderful grandmothers
It was the sort of thing one hopes momentarily that one has not really seen - because life would be so much more convenient if one hadn't.

Adored bestselling author Diana Gabaldon brings us the first book in a new trilogy featuring many of the characters from her wildly popular Outlander series.

In her New York Times bestselling Outlander novels, Diana Gabaldon introduced millions of readers to a dazzling world of history and adventure—a world of vibrant settings and utterly unforgettable characters. Now one of these characters, Major Lord John Grey, opens the door to his own part of this world—eighteenth-century London, a seething anthill of nobility and rabble peopled by soldiers and spies, whores and dukes. Great Britain is battling France for supremacy on three continents—and life is good for a soldier.

The year is 1757. On a clear morning in mid-June, Lord John Grey emerges from London’s Beefsteak Club, his mind in turmoil. A nobleman and a high-ranking officer in His Majesty’s Army, Grey has just witnessed something shocking. But his efforts to avoid a scandal that might destroy his family are interrupted by something still more urgent: the Crown appoints him to investigate the brutal murder of a comrade in arms, who may have been a traitor.

Obliged to pursue two inquiries at once, Major Grey finds himself ensnared in a web of treachery and betrayal that touches every stratum of English society—and threatens all he holds dear. From the bawdy houses of London’s night-world to the stately drawing rooms of the nobility, and from the blood of a murdered corpse to the thundering seas ruled by the majestic fleet of the East India Company, Lord John pursues the elusive trails of a vanishing footman and a woman in green velvet, who may hold the key to everything—or nothing.

The early days of the Seven Years War come brilliantly to life in this historical mystery by an author whose unique and compelling storytelling has engrossed millions of readers worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

Returning from Scottish exile in 1757, Lord John Grey pursues a traitor through London and across the seas, an endeavor that is complicated by a delicate family affair and his memories of the Jacobite Rising.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible