Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana…

Lord John and the Private Matter (2003)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Lord John (1), Outlander (3.2)

2,287None2,768 (3.43)64
Recently added byprivate library, AoifeT, adriana2430, annekaelber, cbilbo, Kirsi-Sisko, robertawilder
18th century (60) audiobook (14) Diana Gabaldon (19) ebook (11) England (68) fantasy (29) fiction (241) Gabaldon (22) gay (20) historical (111) historical fiction (249) historical mystery (16) history (22) homosexuality (19) London (24) Lord John (32) Lord John Grey (22) murder (13) mystery (149) novel (21) Outlander (34) own (16) read (28) romance (33) Scotland (17) series (35) signed (11) time travel (26) to-read (47) unread (18)

English (38)  French (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
After falling in love with Claire and Jamie, I hesitated on The Lord John series. I started respecting Lord John in the Outlander series, with his treatment towards the women in Jamie's life.

I knew this book just wouldn't hold up to the original Outlander series. It doesn't focus on Jamie in any manner. He's mentioned from time to time, but not often.

I bought all The Lord John series, but I don't know if I'm going to be that happy with them. This book was alright.

Lord John is a complex man that wants to be open about his lifestyle, but can't. He fears being labeled a sodomite. He sneaks around to find affection, only to be feared of being outed.

I'm just glad Diana didn't give detailed info into his troubled sex life. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

I'm just glad Diana didn't give detailed info into his troubled sex life. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
I'd never heard of this side series to Gabaldon's Outlander novels before, but someone at work told me about them. I picked it up for two reasons: 1. gay protagonist, and 2. Victorian British mystery. It delivers on both counts. The protagonist is a gay man of manners ÛÒ he‰Ûªs a cultured, educated man with a soldier‰Ûªs practicality who just happens to have this hidden side life. The mystery starts with him trying to discretely investigate the man his cousin is to marry, but he‰Ûªs quickly embroiled in another mystery (the murder of a soldier that may have been a traitor to the Crown) that may actually be related. Victorian London is realized in all its glory, from its seedier side to high society, and Gabaldon certainly knows how to write this particular historical period. Even the smells of the various places Lord John traverses came through. Throughout, occasional references to whatever the hell is going on in the Outlander series threw me, because I haven‰Ûªt read any of them and don‰Ûªt really want to, but they were far between enough that I could ignore them. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
I'm on my way to a second reading of the Outlander series in time for the new book in 2014. So before I start, I wanted to squeeze in some of the Lord John books. For myself, I would say that it is more enriching to first read the Outlander series before starting the Lord John tales. The time period here is after Claire has left, and Jamie is at Helwater, approximately. This particular Lord John book has a somewhat confusing plot with perhaps too many characters involved for the reader to get a grip on. But it follows a DG pattern: she gets them into situations, I try to figure how she's going to get them out of all this nonsense and invariably I am bamboozled once again. ( )
  HugoReads | Jul 19, 2013 |
3.5 stars

Lord John is NOT Jaime, and there's no Claire in there either... Still interesting story, and nice to learn a little more about Lord John. However, I'm only reading these because I'm in Outlander-withdrawal. ( )
1 vote Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |

Gabaldon, Dianaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Margaret Scott Gabaldon and Kay Fears Watkins,
my children's wonderful grandmothers
It was the sort of thing one hopes momentarily that one has not really seen - because life would be so much more convenient if one hadn't.

Adored bestselling author Diana Gabaldon brings us the first book in a new trilogy featuring many of the characters from her wildly popular Outlander series.

In her New York Times bestselling Outlander novels, Diana Gabaldon introduced millions of readers to a dazzling world of history and adventure—a world of vibrant settings and utterly unforgettable characters. Now one of these characters, Major Lord John Grey, opens the door to his own part of this world—eighteenth-century London, a seething anthill of nobility and rabble peopled by soldiers and spies, whores and dukes. Great Britain is battling France for supremacy on three continents—and life is good for a soldier.

The year is 1757. On a clear morning in mid-June, Lord John Grey emerges from London’s Beefsteak Club, his mind in turmoil. A nobleman and a high-ranking officer in His Majesty’s Army, Grey has just witnessed something shocking. But his efforts to avoid a scandal that might destroy his family are interrupted by something still more urgent: the Crown appoints him to investigate the brutal murder of a comrade in arms, who may have been a traitor.

Obliged to pursue two inquiries at once, Major Grey finds himself ensnared in a web of treachery and betrayal that touches every stratum of English society—and threatens all he holds dear. From the bawdy houses of London’s night-world to the stately drawing rooms of the nobility, and from the blood of a murdered corpse to the thundering seas ruled by the majestic fleet of the East India Company, Lord John pursues the elusive trails of a vanishing footman and a woman in green velvet, who may hold the key to everything—or nothing.

The early days of the Seven Years War come brilliantly to life in this historical mystery by an author whose unique and compelling storytelling has engrossed millions of readers worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:45 -0400)

Returning from Scottish exile in 1757, Lord John Grey pursues a traitor through London and across the seas, an endeavor that is complicated by a delicate family affair and his memories of the Jacobite Rising.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible