Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana…

Lord John and the Private Matter (2003)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Lord John (1), Outlander

English (42)  French (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)

Read this review on my blog

The first full sized novel featuring Lord John Grey.

The reader is introduced to a little bit of Lord John's life, such as his family, his place within society and politics. The mysteries and intrigues in this book were so engrossing though I found the resolution kind of anti-climatic.

I loved all the historical details about the gay scene in 18th Century London, and of the death sentence syphilis presented. Lord John's homosexuality is explored a bit more in this book, and I began to see the need for secrecy and the paranoia that inevitable must accompany such a secret in the time period.

All in all the story was intriguing but I felt the book was dragged on a little longer than it needed to be. ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
This was my first novel by Diana Gabaldon and she did not disappoint. I have always enjoyed the short stories I have read of hers now I am looking forward to reading more of her novels. ( )
  Clifford.Terry | Apr 30, 2015 |
Lord John Grey is relieving himself behind a screen when he happens to catch sight of something alarming. It appears that his cousin's fiance is afflicted with the pox. Private matter indeed! Now he must find a way to stop this marriage without socially ostracizing his family as well as doing his normal duty in service to the crown. Set during the Seven Years War, this is a novel of espionage and mystery, but the real gem in this series is the vivid descriptions of life during that era. Gabaldon really knows how to make that time period come to life and she throws in enough comic relief to provide entertainment along with suspense. I'm a fan of Gabaldon's Outlander series and this shares the same writing style. As a historic fiction novel, I thought this was very good, but as a mystery, it was lacking a bit in the pacing. It's important with mysteries that the suspense builds and the momentum of the plot takes over. In this book, the mystery part would pick up a bit and then there would be an excellent description of something or a related side story and the mystery gets forgotten. I still enjoyed it, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone who just wants a whodunit type of mystery. ( )
  jmoncton | Mar 17, 2015 |
I listened to the Audible version, which I bought during a sale. I didn't think I wanted to embark on A Dragonfly in Amber just yet, but I did want to dip back into the Outlander universe. This was perfect, as I did thoroughly enjoy Lord John in Voyager.

A nice period mystery, Lord John is tasked with finding who murdered a CO, while simultaneously trying to find a tactful way to break his cousin's engagement with a wealthy officer who John happens to notice is afflicted with syphilis. This goes all sorts of places, including finding out the deceased officer and former friend was a wife beater, that he may have been a spy, a visit to a site of some youthful mistakes, and possibly India.

The weirdest thread was definitely all the work he put into verifying the syphilis of his cousin's fiancee. This went all sorts of strange places, and then came back around again.

Since these are novellas, I'm probably not going to buy them as audio books (my audible credits are better spent on long books that will last all month), but I'm likely going to consume all of these before I pick up Dragonfly in Amber again, and that will probably be soon. This one was awesome. ( )
  ConnieJo | Dec 21, 2014 |
I love Gabaldon's Outlander series. I can't wait for the next book, "My Own Heart's Blood" and I REALLY can't wait for the Starz TV series. In fact, the first Outlander book is probably my all time favorite guilty pleasure. I've re-read it a number of times just for fun. That said, I didn't love this Lord John mystery. I just plodded through it. It's not that I don't like Lord John. I do. He's a great supporting character in Outlander. But the mystery kind of left me cold, and it seemed as if Gabaldon was trying a little too hard in this book to make it sound like she was an 18th century British writer. Every time I read the word "connexion" instead of "connection" (and she wrote it a lot) I rolled my eyes. ( )
  DonnaCallea | Nov 29, 2014 |

Gabaldon, Dianaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Margaret Scott Gabaldon and Kay Fears Watkins,
my children's wonderful grandmothers
It was the sort of thing one hopes momentarily that one has not really seen - because life would be so much more convenient if one hadn't.

Adored bestselling author Diana Gabaldon brings us the first book in a new trilogy featuring many of the characters from her wildly popular Outlander series.

In her New York Times bestselling Outlander novels, Diana Gabaldon introduced millions of readers to a dazzling world of history and adventure—a world of vibrant settings and utterly unforgettable characters. Now one of these characters, Major Lord John Grey, opens the door to his own part of this world—eighteenth-century London, a seething anthill of nobility and rabble peopled by soldiers and spies, whores and dukes. Great Britain is battling France for supremacy on three continents—and life is good for a soldier.

The year is 1757. On a clear morning in mid-June, Lord John Grey emerges from London’s Beefsteak Club, his mind in turmoil. A nobleman and a high-ranking officer in His Majesty’s Army, Grey has just witnessed something shocking. But his efforts to avoid a scandal that might destroy his family are interrupted by something still more urgent: the Crown appoints him to investigate the brutal murder of a comrade in arms, who may have been a traitor.

Obliged to pursue two inquiries at once, Major Grey finds himself ensnared in a web of treachery and betrayal that touches every stratum of English society—and threatens all he holds dear. From the bawdy houses of London’s night-world to the stately drawing rooms of the nobility, and from the blood of a murdered corpse to the thundering seas ruled by the majestic fleet of the East India Company, Lord John pursues the elusive trails of a vanishing footman and a woman in green velvet, who may hold the key to everything—or nothing.

The early days of the Seven Years War come brilliantly to life in this historical mystery by an author whose unique and compelling storytelling has engrossed millions of readers worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

Returning from Scottish exile in 1757, Lord John Grey pursues a traitor through London and across the seas, an endeavor that is complicated by a delicate family affair and his memories of the Jacobite Rising.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible