Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana…

Lord John and the Private Matter (2003)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Lord John (1), Outlander (3.2)

English (40)  French (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
I love Gabaldon's Outlander series. I can't wait for the next book, "My Own Heart's Blood" and I REALLY can't wait for the Starz TV series. In fact, the first Outlander book is probably my all time favorite guilty pleasure. I've re-read it a number of times just for fun. That said, I didn't love this Lord John mystery. I just plodded through it. It's not that I don't like Lord John. I do. He's a great supporting character in Outlander. But the mystery kind of left me cold, and it seemed as if Gabaldon was trying a little too hard in this book to make it sound like she was an 18th century British writer. Every time I read the word "connexion" instead of "connection" (and she wrote it a lot) I rolled my eyes. ( )
  DonnaCallea | Nov 29, 2014 |
Been putting off reading the John Grey novels.. never really liked him in the main series but then I saw a comment from DG that he was one of her favourite characters so I decided to take the plunge.

I was a bit disappointed with this first of the three novels.. maybe because I am addicted to Claire and Jamie.. but I found this not up to DG's normal style of writing and, in fact, even the editing left a bit to be desired.

But I will persevere, mainly because book 2 of the JG novels is sitting on my shelves.. and I have heard the Scottish Prisoner is much better..

so, 3 stars, just because it is Diana Gabaldon. ( )
  Mecaza | Sep 28, 2014 |
Diana Gabaldon is one of my favorite authors today, particularly with the Outlander series.

I believe this particular book is a little pale compared to any part of the Outlander series, and I would never have thought to purchase it if it was by another author. However, since I am waiting for the next installment in the Outlander series, I decided to get this.

It reminded me right away how good Gabaldon is but this book has nowhere near the magic of Outlander et seq.

I would say the Lord John book is a bit on the naughty side, and not really what you want your teenagers to read. The Outlander series is mature, but I could say most assuredly that the two characters make the best marriage team in literature, in my estimation. The "love scenes" are exquisite and do not gratuitously fill the book, but the book otherwise features adventure, bravery, courage and integrity. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
After falling in love with Claire and Jamie, I hesitated on The Lord John series. I started respecting Lord John in the Outlander series, with his treatment towards the women in Jamie's life.

I knew this book just wouldn't hold up to the original Outlander series. It doesn't focus on Jamie in any manner. He's mentioned from time to time, but not often.

I bought all The Lord John series, but I don't know if I'm going to be that happy with them. This book was alright.

Lord John is a complex man that wants to be open about his lifestyle, but can't. He fears being labeled a sodomite. He sneaks around to find affection, only to be feared of being outed.

I'm just glad Diana didn't give detailed info into his troubled sex life. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

I'm just glad Diana didn't give detailed info into his troubled sex life. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

Gabaldon, Dianaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Margaret Scott Gabaldon and Kay Fears Watkins,
my children's wonderful grandmothers
It was the sort of thing one hopes momentarily that one has not really seen - because life would be so much more convenient if one hadn't.

Adored bestselling author Diana Gabaldon brings us the first book in a new trilogy featuring many of the characters from her wildly popular Outlander series.

In her New York Times bestselling Outlander novels, Diana Gabaldon introduced millions of readers to a dazzling world of history and adventure—a world of vibrant settings and utterly unforgettable characters. Now one of these characters, Major Lord John Grey, opens the door to his own part of this world—eighteenth-century London, a seething anthill of nobility and rabble peopled by soldiers and spies, whores and dukes. Great Britain is battling France for supremacy on three continents—and life is good for a soldier.

The year is 1757. On a clear morning in mid-June, Lord John Grey emerges from London’s Beefsteak Club, his mind in turmoil. A nobleman and a high-ranking officer in His Majesty’s Army, Grey has just witnessed something shocking. But his efforts to avoid a scandal that might destroy his family are interrupted by something still more urgent: the Crown appoints him to investigate the brutal murder of a comrade in arms, who may have been a traitor.

Obliged to pursue two inquiries at once, Major Grey finds himself ensnared in a web of treachery and betrayal that touches every stratum of English society—and threatens all he holds dear. From the bawdy houses of London’s night-world to the stately drawing rooms of the nobility, and from the blood of a murdered corpse to the thundering seas ruled by the majestic fleet of the East India Company, Lord John pursues the elusive trails of a vanishing footman and a woman in green velvet, who may hold the key to everything—or nothing.

The early days of the Seven Years War come brilliantly to life in this historical mystery by an author whose unique and compelling storytelling has engrossed millions of readers worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:45 -0400)

Returning from Scottish exile in 1757, Lord John Grey pursues a traitor through London and across the seas, an endeavor that is complicated by a delicate family affair and his memories of the Jacobite Rising.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible