My Dream of You

by Nuala O'Faolain

1,0821913,675 (3.44)24
From one of Ireland's most talented journalists, an extraordinary fiction debut, compelling, colourful and romantic. Kathleen is a 49-year-old travel writer, an Irishwoman based in London who has not been back to Ireland since she was twenty. Her home is her office, her family and friends a few close colleagues. She has not experienced passion since she was young. When, over the course of a few weeks, the props of her life fall away one after another, it is to passion that she turns - not in her own life, but in the fragmentary account of a scandalous affair in 19th century rural Ireland, between the wife of a big Anglo-Irish landlord, and her servant. And so Kathleen is drawn back to Ireland, to see whether she can find out more...… (more)

English (15)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
This book was entirely too long. Though O'Faolain is a good writer, she didn't need 500 pages to tell this story. I finally gave up after 350 pages; it was like pulling teeth to slog through the end of it. I just really didn't care anymore. The plot meandered and just really didn't go anywhere, and the main character had more self-loathing than I care for in a narrator. It was just kind of tiresome. There was also a sub-story of a love affair during the Potato Famine that wasn't nearly as rich and beautiful as I would have hoped.
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
Kathleen de Burca ist bereit, bis an die Grenzen zu gehen. Die Grenzen der Liebe, die sie seit Jahren vermisst. Dabei stößt sie nicht nur auf die ebenso skandalöse wie tragische Geschichte einer Amour fou, sondern vor allem auf einen Mann, der ihre Gefühle herausfordert. Vielleicht zum letzten Mal. Ein großartiger Roman über die Schmerzen der Leidenschaft und die Unbedingtheit der Liebe.
  Fredo68 | May 18, 2020 |
Loved it!
  klewis | Feb 28, 2020 |
Irish born Kathleen De Burca has arrived at a crossroads in her life. Nearing fifty she loses her best friend and coworker to a heart attack. As a travel writer, Kathleen has lived in London for nearly thirty years and has never married or had children. Jimmy was the closest person she could call family. But, when she is presented with the lifetime achievement award she was supposed to share with her best friend she realizes there is more to life than travel miles and exotic venues. Why not go home to Ireland? Why not research a century old crime that has long fascinated her?
So begins Kathleen's story. Her past is as complicated as her future is a blank slate. Giving up everything, she lays herself bare to the tragedies of the past; remembrances of long ago transgressions; all the cringe-worthy scars of yesterday. But, as she says on page 408, "Tragedies end." And so they do. Kathleen learns to pick up the pieces and face the black slate of tomorrow with a different kind of courage than it took in order to come home.
As an aside, I felt the ending gave O'Faolain room for a sequel. Just saying.
**Molloy's reading of My Dream of You was fantastic! ** ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 23, 2017 |
As an aside, I felt the ending gave O'Faolain room for a sequel. Just saying. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 23, 2017 |
We used to stay in bed most of the weekend, Hugo and I, when we lived in the attic of a rambling house with pinnacles and gables, among chestnut trees, on the edge of a park in south London.
I felt not so much that I was going downhill as that I was dessicating. I was so empty that I blew this way and that. Happiness keeps you poised, and you do the right thing withoout effort, whereas you get things wrong when you're struggling with lack of life. (p.438)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,949,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible