Jars Of Glass by Brad Barkley

Jars Of Glass (edition 2008)

by Brad Barkley, Heather Hepler

Member:KeenePubLibYA
Title:Jars Of Glass
Authors:Brad Barkley
Other authors:Heather Hepler
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2008), Hardcover, 208 pages

Jars Of Glass by Brad Barkley

This book is about a family that is dealing with the mom being in the hospital. Told through the eyes of her two young daughters Chloe and Shana. Shana is 15 has turned to the Goth lifestyle to get away from her problems. And Chloe who takes care of Micah the little brother that has been adopted from Russia before their mother got sick.
In the end you find exactly what has happened to turn this family upside down and the way the children are pulling them selves and little Micah back together. ( )
  dbhutch | Jun 9, 2010 |
Written in alternating voices of 2 sisters coping with the absence of their artist mother after she is hospitalized for mental illness. One sister hides from herself by delving into the Goth dress, and the other finds a 'family' for herself at the corner Starbucks. It's better than it sounds. I found I had to get up at night and finish the book. I needed to know what happened to both of them. For anyone who has a parent struggling with their own issues, this book is a good reflection of what it means to have to separate yourself , your identity , from your parents well before adulthood. ( )
  MarieCoady | Apr 20, 2010 |
This story is told by two sisters, Chloe and Shana, who are struggling to maintain some semblance of family after their mother is placed in a mental institution. Chloe seems to have taken primary responsibility for raising their adopted brother Micah, while Shana escapes nightly in full Goth garb, trying to lose herself behind the clothing and face paint. Dad runs a funeral home (doesn't handle the bodies, but the business), but falls further and further apart as the story progress, drinking and smoking to excess, and crying himself to sleep in his absent wife's art studio. Somehow, Chloe and Shana manage to hold onto lifelines in the form of coffee shop friends and other funeral home employees, but can they hold what's left of their family together?

This is a challenging read, not for middle school. As captivating as the story is, I found I had to limit how much I read in one sitting, lest I succomb to the overwhelming sadness of much of the book. May have to step away from angst filled young adult fiction for a while -- perhaps I'll find a good fantasy or adventure book next. I think kids will like this, but should be warned that it's not an easy read. ( )
1 vote mikitchenlady | May 20, 2009 |
You can't catch me
You can't catch me
My fingers are crossed
And you can't catch me
-Traditional children's rhyme
I think there are these lies we tell each other.

Teenage sisters Chloe and Shana recall fondly the days when their mother wove stories about kingdoms under the sea. Now that Mom is “away,” Chloe does not allow herself to believe in fairy tales. She is too busy caring for her adopted brother, Micah, because Dad has become withdrawn. Shana copes by escaping every night under the cover of Goth garb. The day the family visits Mom for the first time is the day Chloe learns why Shana will never allow their mother to return. It is up to the sisters to pull together and form a new definition of family.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:06 -0400)

Two sisters, aged fourteen and fifteen, offer their views of events that occur during the year after their mother is diagnosed with schizophrenia and their family, including a recently adopted Russian orphan, begins to disintegrate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,964,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible