The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday (original 1996; edition 1996)

by E. L. Konigsburg

Member:blacksylph
Title:The View from Saturday
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:academic bowl, alice in wonderland, bullying, coming of age, disability, dog, middle school, new york, turtle, wedding

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg (1996)

English (96)  Spanish (1)  All languages (97)
This is one of those books I should have read in elementary school. I love E.L. Konigsburg and I'm sad that I didn't read this until now. Better late than never, though. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
Great cast of narrators for this classic book. Mrs. Olinski, Noah, Nadia, Ethan, and Julian come to life.

Sometimes people need a lift between switches. ( )
  JennyArch | Sep 19, 2016 |
Intensely fascinating characters - I so wish I could be friends with these children, and with their teacher and other adults. The only flaw is that the author didn't fact-check carefully enough on the quiz questions. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Their path to the state finals started with the sixth grade championship.Mrs. Olinski
had expected victory, for her team was quick and informed and worked perfectly.No one had expected them trounce the other two sixth grades,but they did.Their victory was so profound that the sixth grade math teacher, Ms. Sharkely, confined to the music teacher, Ms.Masolino, that for the first time in the history of Emphiany Middle school. There was a chance just a possibility, mind you that a sixthgreade team might beat the seventh grade.
  AnikaU13 | May 21, 2016 |
Summary: This book talks about a teacher that has to pick four kids from the entire sixth grade class to be on her academic bowl team. She doesn't really think about it really hard. Finally the students she picks are Noah, Ethan, Julian, and Nadia. The cool part of the plot is that each kid gets to tell their story and because of their story that is how they know the answer to the question.

My reaction: I thought the book was very good and had a good story behind it. It is a book that you would have to read a little at a time though because it is long but I really enjoyed this book.

Classroom:
1. We could have a pretend academic bowl.
2. I would have them write their story.
  aensley | Apr 20, 2016 |

Four students, with their own individual stories, develop a special bond and attract the attention of their teacher, a paraplegic, who chooses them to represent their sixth-grade class in the Academic Bowl competition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817215, Paperback)

A powerhouse sixth-grade Academic Bowl team from Epiphany Middle School; the art of calligraphy; the retirees of Century Village, Florida; a genius dog named Ginger; and a holiday production of "Annie" all figure heavily in the latest book by E. L. Konigsburg, who has produced a Newbery Medal-winning children's tale to rival her classic From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which won the Newbery Medal almost 30 years ago. The new book centers around a group of four brilliant, shy 12-year-olds and the tea party they have each Saturday morning. Konigsburg's wacky erudition and her knack for offbeat characters make this a funny and endearing story of friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,257,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible