The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday (original 1996; edition 1996)

by E. L. Konigsburg

3,163None1,764 (3.94)81
Member:blacksylph
Title:The View from Saturday
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:academic bowl, alice in wonderland, bullying, coming of age, disability, dog, middle school, new york, turtle, wedding

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg (1996)

I've waited fifteen years to read this book, and it was well worth the wait! ( )
  teeney | Mar 14, 2014 |
First read in sixth grade for school; then, recently, I picked it up again on a whim, because working in literature education with kids of a similar reading level made me think back to the books I read when they were around their age. I remember finding this book interesting, but a little weird. But my impression of this book seemed to ripen with age until I was convinced it was canonical lit for sixth graders everywhere.

Well, the reread was disappointing. Despite it being written in the nineties, the dialogue already seemed outdated--what was up with the lack of contractions? I thought about it and I don't really think it was a characterization thing because so many of the characters talked that way, without contractions. Back in sixth grade, I thought the Souls were kind of mystical, an elevated species of middle-schooler to be emulated. Now, I just think they're slightly pretentious and contrived. There was falsity ringing from the pages, and it was disappointing for me to discover that the magic I had attributed to this novel may not have been there all along. ( )
  stephxsu | Mar 3, 2014 |
Brilliant. Warm without being sentimental, the book recognizes the existence of prejudice, bullying, and foolishness without any false moral outrage or impossibly sunny solutions. Each of the four student characters is perfectly drawn, and their friendship is as well. The crowning touches: tea parties and Alice in Wonderland references. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
A cute little book.

At the time I really enjoyed it-- I'd have given it 9/10 I think-- but in this case maturity slightly dulls the appeal of a rather age-specific book. It's not bad. At the time I was drawn to these little scholars who bravely and heroically knew the derivation of words. And they do eventually become friends, in a softly appealing sort of way.

But it's also, you know, this geeky little book about how much fun school is and how everyone has fun with school. It can be a little.... too safe. Although there are plenty of things in the world which are excessively heroic-- they suffered greatly!-- as a (young) adult, I'm still left with the sense that all the while as they sip their tea and discuss their words and build a sort of friendship, all this is their lives just before the onset on maturity.... At its worst, it has that old-lady's nostalgia-- that old grandmother who liked you better before you grew up and found yourself a girlfriend. It therefore "risks" identifying charm with immaturity.... and all by being too "safe".

In a way it's like Jane Austen without the romance-- you sit with your little friends, and have your little talks about petty scholarship and the weather-- refined small talk. And I don't suppose that "Jane Austen without the romance" would be.... the highest of compliments, for example.

But it is cute. The team-- competitive small talk!-- gives themselves a name, as though they were some geeky band, and the grandparents have a wedding....

It's cute.

It could be worse.

(8/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Oct 5, 2013 |
The writing in this book is amazing! The characters are so worldly and yet so age appropriate. The incidents are so real and so interesting. There are lessons to be learned, but this book was not at all preachy. ( )
  suesbooks | Jul 26, 2013 |
This is for David for beating the odds
Mrs. Eva Marie Olinski always gave good answers.

This was good story. It took a while to get in to it, but once I did I enjoy it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817215, Paperback)

A powerhouse sixth-grade Academic Bowl team from Epiphany Middle School; the art of calligraphy; the retirees of Century Village, Florida; a genius dog named Ginger; and a holiday production of "Annie" all figure heavily in the latest book by E. L. Konigsburg, who has produced a Newbery Medal-winning children's tale to rival her classic From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which won the Newbery Medal almost 30 years ago. The new book centers around a group of four brilliant, shy 12-year-olds and the tea party they have each Saturday morning. Konigsburg's wacky erudition and her knack for offbeat characters make this a funny and endearing story of friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:38 -0400)

Four students, with their own individual stories, develop a special bond and attract the attention of their teacher, a paraplegic, who chooses them to represent their sixth-grade class in the Academic Bowl competition.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible