The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday (original 1996; edition 1996)

by E. L. Konigsburg

Member:blacksylph
Title:The View from Saturday
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:academic bowl, alice in wonderland, bullying, coming of age, disability, dog, middle school, new york, turtle, wedding

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg (1996)

Summary: This book talks about a teacher that has to pick four kids from the entire sixth grade class to be on her academic bowl team. She doesn't really think about it really hard. Finally the students she picks are Noah, Ethan, Julian, and Nadia. The cool part of the plot is that each kid gets to tell their story and because of their story that is how they know the answer to the question.

My reaction: I thought the book was very good and had a good story behind it. It is a book that you would have to read a little at a time though because it is long but I really enjoyed this book.

Classroom:
1. We could have a pretend academic bowl.
2. I would have them write their story.
  aensley | Apr 20, 2016 |
The 1996 Newbery Medal winner, the View from Saturday is a tale about a 6th grade quiz bowl team, and how they, and their teacher, became a true team. Novel alternates between their final quiz bowl championship match with short stories about the different journeys each kid has had to make to get to this moment (and their winning answers). Nadia, Noah, Ethan, and Julian (the 4 members of the “Souls”) each narrates a part of the book, and eventually you begin to see the interweaving of each story and each of these children. These stories also show how this team begins to support and help each other in their school and home lives. It really is an amazing story of how 4 very unique children (and their teacher) find each other, accept each other and grow as individuals and as a team. I think this would be a wonderful family read. 41/2 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Mar 23, 2016 |
I like how they transfere between Saturday and before Saturday. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
This is the story of a sixth grade academic quiz team. Inside are five small stories that build up to develop the overall plot.

I enjoyed this one. Quick easy read, but kept my interest. I loved how the characters intertwined and ended up forming a kinship. The lesson about kindness is wonderful. Positive and uplifting. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
This book appeared on several "recommended" or "award winning" lists I reviewed, but since I knew nothing about it, it took quite awhile for me to finally bring a copy home. Hence, I was unprepared for what I discovered inside, which was nothing short of literary magic. The writing is simply beautiful - not complicated but in no way dumbed down like some children's books I've encountered. The characters are fully fleshed (even the peripheral ones) and sympathetically drawn. I loved the humor and humanity that pervades the entire story. What the author does is the literary equivalent of a five-star, five-course gourmet meal. How I wish there was a sequel - I miss these literary friends already! ( )
  ingrid98684 | Dec 31, 2015 |

Four students, with their own individual stories, develop a special bond and attract the attention of their teacher, a paraplegic, who chooses them to represent their sixth-grade class in the Academic Bowl competition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817215, Paperback)

A powerhouse sixth-grade Academic Bowl team from Epiphany Middle School; the art of calligraphy; the retirees of Century Village, Florida; a genius dog named Ginger; and a holiday production of "Annie" all figure heavily in the latest book by E. L. Konigsburg, who has produced a Newbery Medal-winning children's tale to rival her classic From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which won the Newbery Medal almost 30 years ago. The new book centers around a group of four brilliant, shy 12-year-olds and the tea party they have each Saturday morning. Konigsburg's wacky erudition and her knack for offbeat characters make this a funny and endearing story of friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible