The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday (original 1996; edition 1996)

by E. L. Konigsburg

3,520911,503 (3.92)89
Member:blacksylph
Title:The View from Saturday
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:academic bowl, alice in wonderland, bullying, coming of age, disability, dog, middle school, new york, turtle, wedding

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg (1996)

This book appeared on several "recommended" or "award winning" lists I reviewed, but since I knew nothing about it, it took quite awhile for me to finally bring a copy home. Hence, I was unprepared for what I discovered inside, which was nothing short of literary magic. The writing is simply beautiful - not complicated but in no way dumbed down like some children's books I've encountered. The characters are fully fleshed (even the peripheral ones) and sympathetically drawn. I loved the humor and humanity that pervades the entire story. What the author does is the literary equivalent of a five-star, five-course gourmet meal. How I wish there was a sequel - I miss these literary friends already! ( )
  ingrid98684 | Dec 31, 2015 |
Middle school teacher Eva Marie Olinski returns to teaching after an accident left her paraplegic. She chooses four of her sixth-grade students (Ethan, Noah, Nadia, and Julian), who form a group they call "The Souls," to represent her class in the Academic Bowl competition. They defeat the other sixth-grade teams, then the seventh- and eighth-grade champions at Epiphany, and so on until they become New York state middle school champions. The children help their teacher live a happier life after her win. A child named Hamilton Knapp makes fun and makes life harder for her. Later The Souls stick out their arms and legs when Mrs. Olinski stands up and for herself when Hamilton and his follower Jared Lord harass the class. They stick out their limbs to show that she can stand up for herself.

Between chapters that feature the progress of the competition, each of the four students narrates one chapter related both to the development of The Souls and to a question in the state championship final. Noah Gershom recounts learning calligraphy and being best man for his grandfather's friend at his wedding in Century Village in Florida. Nadia Diamondstein describes working to conserve sea turtles and meeting Ethan, also at Century Village. Ethan Potter tells of meeting Julian, a new boy in town, and attending his tea parties, where the four Souls became friends. Julian Singh explains being new at school and tells of handling a chance for revenge against one of the bullies — remarkably grounded in the part played by Nadia's dog in the school musical "Annie". ( )
  A_Ozoglu | Dec 2, 2015 |
I'm on a big Newberry kick, and this was another really good Newberry winner. Curling up with a book and reading for hours always seems to work best with young adult books.

I loved the way this book was written. It was original and creative and again, I instantly loved the characters.

klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Intensely fascinating characters - I so wish I could be friends with these children, and with their teacher and other adults. The only flaw is that the author didn't fact-check carefully enough on the quiz questions. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Overall, I thought The View from Saturday was a great book! It was awarded the Newberry Award, which is one of the things that initially drew me to the book. I loved the overall message of the story. The story was all about journeys and how those journeys help people grow. In this story in particular, it follows four 6th graders and their teacher, who is a paraplegic due to a car accident. This story centers mainly around the teacher Mrs. Olinski and what she learns from her students. She is the advisor of the academic bowl team, and must pick four team members. The story is about how she picks them and then the impact they all had on her in helping her through the journey of her post-accident and discovering the confidence, success, and happiness she had been missing. Another aspect of the story I really enjoyed was how the story was told from different points of view. The story was told from each student and Mrs. Olinski’s point of view which I think definitely helped understand the character development and each character’s own personal journey. Finally, I loved that Mrs. Olinski had a disability because in most stories the teacher is never the one with a disability, so it was really different to see that and how that impacted the story and Mrs. Olinski’s relationship with her students and herself.
I would recommend this book for fifth and sixth graders. I think it’s a great chapter book, but a little confusing at times. I definitely had to re-read parts of it to make sure I understood it, so I think it would be better for older students. ( )
  kbork1 | Apr 7, 2015 |

Four students, with their own individual stories, develop a special bond and attract the attention of their teacher, a paraplegic, who chooses them to represent their sixth-grade class in the Academic Bowl competition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817215, Paperback)

A powerhouse sixth-grade Academic Bowl team from Epiphany Middle School; the art of calligraphy; the retirees of Century Village, Florida; a genius dog named Ginger; and a holiday production of "Annie" all figure heavily in the latest book by E. L. Konigsburg, who has produced a Newbery Medal-winning children's tale to rival her classic From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which won the Newbery Medal almost 30 years ago. The new book centers around a group of four brilliant, shy 12-year-olds and the tea party they have each Saturday morning. Konigsburg's wacky erudition and her knack for offbeat characters make this a funny and endearing story of friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,194,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible