The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday (original 1996; edition 1996)

by E. L. Konigsburg

Member:blacksylph
Title:The View from Saturday
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:academic bowl, alice in wonderland, bullying, coming of age, disability, dog, middle school, new york, turtle, wedding

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg (1996)

There were few books I re-read in my childhood as often as I re-read The View from Saturday. Still one of my most recommended. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
This book made me want to learn how to write calligraphy. I loved the intertwining stories of the three students and how they became a group. The story is not told in linear fashion which makes the reader have to work a little harder to understand what is going on. All the characters are quirky but wonderful. I feel like the story could be a movie by Wes Anderson. The story begins at the state championship for something like Quiz Bowl. It then reveals the backstory of the students who are participating on the team. The kids are connected in weird ways that are revealed in the story. I think it would be a fabulous book to read with 6th graders- ( )
  SuPendleton | Jun 21, 2014 |
Some of the most important lessons we can teach to the younger members of society are kindness, compassion, perseverance, and determination. This book has all of those qualities and more, wrapped into a beautiful story that is certain to reach the hearts of all readers. The story is about a group of students who join together to compete in the academic bowl, but not for the reasons you would expect.

The book is told in parts, each from the point of view of the members of the team and their teacher. At the beginning we are properly teased by being told that the teacher didn't know how the students became a team before a certain moment, and readers don't get to find out until the same moment, which is a wonderful way to bring the reading experience full circle.

It isn't the kind of book that I would have read when I was in 4th or 5th grade, not really liking the idea of academic bowls and such, but I would have missed out, so I am very glad that I picked it up now. It was an interesting and enjoyable read. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 3, 2014 |
The View from Saturday is about a paraplegic teacher who has some students that compete in the academic bowl. “The Souls,” which is the team name, stand up for and help out their teacher when she needs it most.

This story is age-appropriate and provides some insight for students into their own problems and relationships. The plot of the story is credible and the characters in the book are convincing. The theme of the book is worth imparting to children because they may see some of this in their own school. Konigsburg has a way of respecting her audience’s intelligence. This book is relevant to students because they compete in academic competitions such as the academic bowl and they may over their years of schooling have a teacher that is handicapped like Mrs. Olinski. It is important for students to be knowledgeable about handicaps such as these so they act appropriately when they encounter someone with a physical disability.

Reading Level: 4-8
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
  rdg301library | May 27, 2014 |
I've waited fifteen years to read this book, and it was well worth the wait! ( )
  teeney | Mar 14, 2014 |
This is for David for beating the odds
Mrs. Eva Marie Olinski always gave good answers.

Four students, with their own individual stories, develop a special bond and attract the attention of their teacher, a paraplegic, who chooses them to represent their sixth-grade class in the Academic Bowl competition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817215, Paperback)

A powerhouse sixth-grade Academic Bowl team from Epiphany Middle School; the art of calligraphy; the retirees of Century Village, Florida; a genius dog named Ginger; and a holiday production of "Annie" all figure heavily in the latest book by E. L. Konigsburg, who has produced a Newbery Medal-winning children's tale to rival her classic From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which won the Newbery Medal almost 30 years ago. The new book centers around a group of four brilliant, shy 12-year-olds and the tea party they have each Saturday morning. Konigsburg's wacky erudition and her knack for offbeat characters make this a funny and endearing story of friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:38 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,112,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible