Just Another Judgement Day by Simon R. Green

Just Another Judgement Day (edition 2009)

by Simon R. Green

508None20,006 (3.89)21
Member:steverud
Title:Just Another Judgement Day
Authors:Simon R. Green
Info:Ace (2009), Mass Market Paperback, 272 sidor
Rating:**
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Contemporary Fantasy, Detective, Epic, Alternative Reality, Investigation, Magic, Nightside, Book Series, 20th Century, Blood and Gore, Repeated jokes

Just Another Judgement Day by Simon R. Green

If Simon R. Green can get away with recycling his NIGHTSIDE stories and presenting them as new ones, I should be able to get away with recycling my reviews of them. So, here is my review of Just Another Judgement Day which is a copied and pasted and only slightly altered review of the previous novel, The Unnatural Inquirer:

John Taylor has been hired by The Unnatural Inquirer, the gossip magazine of the Nightside, THE AUTHORITIES to find a stolen DVD that allegedly contains a recording of a transmission from the afterlife KILL SOMEONE. His investigation will take him all over the Nightside where we??ll encounter old and new friends (and enemies).

Read the rest at Fantasy Literature: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/just-another-judgement-day/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I'm still curious as to the over-arching plot lines of the Nightside universe. John Taylor's enemies and his final destiny. I love the cast of characters and the world that Green has built. The mythology of it all is wonderfully assorted and yet still abides by (most) of its own rules. With that established, I do have to say that it seems like Judgement Day is another throw-away story that only slowly moves those long arching plots along. I still hold out hope that I'm wrong and each small detail will somehow be woven into the end game; but with each passing release those hopes are getting dimmer. I'll keep reading, though, if for nothing else than a glimpse at whatever new monster is being introduced this time.

Read more reviews at my blog. ( )
  kiaras | Oct 22, 2013 |
One thing I am starting to get annoyed by is all the religious stories going on here. To me it's stumbled out of urban fantasy and smacked its head into religion. Another thing I don't care for is how repetitive it is. Repeating the same things over and over, in some cases the same exact lines. Still love the characters though, they keep me wanting to read the next book in the series. ( )
  AdriaFaye | Jul 18, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
“I’m still worried about the whole unstoppable, invulnerable, wrath of God bit,” I said.
“This from a man who’s fought angels from Above and Below,” said Larry. “At least, according to him.”
“I know my limits,” I said, matching him stare for stare. “I can find the Walking Man. I can talk to him. I can use all kinds of tricks to confuse and divert him . . . but after that, your guess is as good as mine. We’re in unknown territory here.”
“Scared?” said Count Video.
“Bloody right I’m scared!” I said. “When the angels came here to fight their war over the Unholy Grail, their powers were strictly limited by the nature of the Nightside, and they still killed thousands of people and wrecked the place! And now Walker tells me the Nightside’s nature has changed, and we don’t even have that protection any more. If I had any sense, I’d go home and hide under the bed until this is all over. As it is . . . Look, when we talk about the wrath of God, we should be bearing in mind what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah, two cities destroyed by God for the sinfulness of their inhabitants. And I’ll bet good money they weren’t up to half the stuff that happens here on a regular basis, half price at weekends.”

The Walking Man, instrument of God's wrath on Earth, has sent a polite letter to the editor of the Night Times, saying that he is coming to the Nightside to kill the guilty and stamp out evil. The new Authorities, who are also on the Walking Man's list, hire John Taylor and Shotgun Suzie to stop him fearing that he could destroy the Nightside, and they are joined by monster hunter Chandra Singh, a Sikh khalsa who wants to pit himself against another holy warrior.

Just Another Judgment Day is a return to form after the previous few books in the series, which had become quite repetitive and a little dull. And right at the end of the book, there are a couple of developments that could lead to big changes for Taylor, both personally and professionally. ( )
  isabelx | Apr 6, 2013 |

Simon R. Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barkat, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the Nightside, that sour secret hidden heart of London, it's always three o'clock in the morning and the dawn never comes. Streets full of sin and cellars full of suffering, magic in the air and mystery around every corner; hot neon, hotter music, and the hottest scenes anywhere. Good and bad and everything in between Dream come true in the Nightside, especially the bad ones. Everything's available, for the right price. So shop till you drop, dance till you bleed, and party like judgement day will never come.
I'm John Taylor, private eye. I have a gift for finding things, and people. I won't promise you justice, or revenge, or your heart's desire. But I will find the truth for you, every damned bit of it.
Welcome to the Nightside. Watch your back. Or someone will steal it.
You don't go to Strangefellows for the good company.

In this urban noir fantasy with a paranormal gunfight at the OK Corral showdown, private investigator John Taylor aims to stop the invincible Walking Man who has come to clean up Nightside, a city invisible within London, by killing sinners regardless of their crimes against the Lord.… (more)

93 wanted3 pay2 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible