Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea /…

Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea / Anne of the Island

by L. M. Montgomery

have just begun my kindle read of Anne for my first choice in the great Canadian Book Challenge #6 ! reading Canada Day July 1st 2012 to Canada Day 2013, a minimum goal of 13 books [i did complete 2011-2012 as of June 30/2012!] ~ i'm now onto my 2nd year of participation...

i love the self motivation of this Challenge & my increased interest in sleuthing out unique Canadian authors to add to the familiar.
I'm beginning this year early on with one i added to my kindle. I'm definitely enjoying the re-reading of a fave I haven't read in quite some time. Nothing like Anne to bring laughter and LM Montgomery for atmospheric descriptions of beauty!

ELderly unmarried siblings, Matthew, and sister, Marilla, have sent word to a neighbouring villager, Mrs SPencer, to bring them a boy to help as a farmhand when she visits a Nova Scotian orphanage in the spring. The message gets twisted enroute, delivering them the unexpected 11 year old Anne!

The joys and tribulations of Anne's addition to their tranquil Prince Edward Island lives are delicious to experience. A girl of dreams and dialogue beyond her years, unlimited ideas and imagination to share with anyone lacking, Anne is quickly endeared to the reader by Lucy Maud's characterizations and descriptions. The humour of Anne's escapades are effectively and dramatically juxtaposed against the societal expectations of the Victorian era and island culture.

Easy to immerse oneself into the life of Anne as we cheer her on in pursuit of kindred spirits! An especially satisfying read expressing much appreciation of beauty, a turn of the century girl's journey from childhood to young womanhood, and a realistic cast of characters populating this introductory story of Anne...
  FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
There are Matthew and his sister Marilla, who were farming hardly in the island of Canada. One day, they decided to take a boy to make him help their work, but actually a girl with long red hair and white and thin, with a lot of freckles! Although it was mistake, as time passed Anne began to accustom to the new family through her imagination.

This work is so famous that almost of everyone had read at least once . I also was one of them. But I did'n t remember it's detail, so l wanted read it again. The description of Anne's humor is very attractive. Whenever you read this, you can enjoy Anne's world even if you are a 19 student like me! ( )
  kagw | Oct 3, 2011 |
I loved this book I have read it so many times. It’s interesting to see how this young girl goes through so many things but still seems to find happiness were ever she goes.
Anne of Green Gables is about a 13 year old orphan who has gone through so many families and no family wants her. A young man names Mathew goes to the orphanage to pick up a 13 year old boy and there was a mix up instead of a boy he picked up Anne. Anne is a very talkative girl while Mathew is a very quiet and self kept man. Mathew had a wife Marilla. He takes Anne home and Marilla is not happy she wanted a boy to help her husband on the farm, but as she sees Anne sad she does not give her back to the orphanage. Later on in the book Anne goes to school makes lot of friends and saves a 6 year old life. All Anne wanted was to be loved and have a place to call home and she found it with Mathew and Marilla. ( )
  Joslynn | Apr 6, 2011 |
The Green Gables Collection is a compilation of three novels by Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and Anne of the Island. As the sequence of the books suggest, the character of Anne Shirley starts off provincial in nature and becomes bigger than life as she matures from a little ratty orphan girl to a mature and spirited young woman. Through an honest misunderstanding, Anne comes to be adopted by Matthew and Marilla who were expecting a young lad to help out around the farm, but are met with an imaginative red-head who injects a shocking dose of life, humour and spunk to everyone around her. Love, life, and laughter are more than sufficient to describe the world of Anne Shirley.

The stories of Anne remind me of cherry blossoms blooming on the first day of spring, of laundry hanging out on a clothesline on a warm summer day, of the crunch of leaves as autumn gently graces us her presence, and of winter's first fresh snowfall. There is a simplicity and sweetness about Anne that just warms your heart and soul as you watch her walk through life with such joy and optimism. Extreme is her nature - calm like the cusp of twilight and rage like the darkest hour of a storm, Anne's emotions carry her through life's adventures and journeys. Her friendships, and eventually her love are ruled by the gentle whispers in her heart which she unguardedly displays to the world around her. You cannot help but fall in love with Anne and her soul. Should the world embrace the spirit of who Anne Shirley was in life and legacy, perhaps our colours would be that much more vibrant and our lives that much more richer. ( )
1 vote jolerie | Feb 28, 2011 |
1.)Before you started reading this book?story , what hints did the title give to you as to what this book was going to be about?

Before I started to read this book the title "Anne of Green Gables" gave me a hint that this book might be about a family. I thought that it was not going to mainly focus on vampires , action , mystery e.tc. I knew that the story would be different like those nice sweet family stories. I predicted that because according to my personal experience , I haven't read much books that were in this genre , but i knew that most of the books that had a person's name as the title or , a name of a place or city and when these particular names look like the book is going to be a family or love story I assume that it is. For example , the artists won't pick a name like "Bridget Of Green Gables" they would predictably pick a name like "Anne" which is an acknowleged name , to make the audience consider that the story is not going to be about something common that kids like my age would read.

2.)What decision has a character made in your that you totally disagree with?

I think that the decision that Gilbert Blythe made at the end of the novel was wrong. Anne 's father Matthew died of a heart attack , so Anne gave up her Avery Scholarship to stay at home with her mother Marilla. If a mother is in need of help that is a sacrifice a daughter must take. But Gilbert is Anne's freind and gave up the same sacrifice to help Anne. I think there was no reason for Gilbert to take that decision because he also has a teaching position with his Avery Scholarship in English. I think Gilbert should've focused on his future/studies and continued his teaching. Because he recieved a once in a life time oppurtunity , that cannot be thrown away. The rest of Anne's freinds did the right thing and followed their future by continuing their jobs and oppurtunities.Why does Gilbert need to be the only one that strives to help Anne in this situtation? This leaves me to a doubtful question , does Gilbert like Anne? I think that in the next chapter Gilbert and Anne will fall in love.
  brownsugah | Dec 13, 2010 |
This set includes the first three novels in the series, not to be confused with another work which includes novels #1, #2, and #5.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553333062, Mass Market Paperback)

Book Details:Format: PaperbackPublication Date: 10/6/1997Reading Level: Age 9 and Up

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:41 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,895,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible