Anne of Green Gables: Three Volumes in One…

Anne of Green Gables: Three Volumes in One (edition 1988)

by L.M. Montgomery

Member:kgriffith
Title:Anne of Green Gables: Three Volumes in One
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:Gramercy (1988), Hardcover, 656 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:a, YA, fiction

Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea / Anne's House of Dreams by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Anne is just so captivating. One of the best stories. The characters, the dialogue, the description of the scenery. Everything is divine. It never grows old reading about Anne, her family, friends and her life. ( )
  sunnydrk | Aug 10, 2017 |
read in childhood. I can hardly remember... ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Revisting childhood favorites hasn't been a good exercise for me, tarnishing my hazy & happy memories of, among other things, Thundercats, state fairs, that flannel nightgown I loved, and the smell of curry powder.

I'm so glad that Anne is still a girl I would like to be friends with, Prince Edward Island still sounds like a wonderful place to live, and I still want to wrap the stories and people of Avonlea around me like an nubby, comfy blanket.

I pulled this down off the shelf because of booze - a friend couldn't remember if it was strawberry cordial & elderberry wine in Anne & Diana's disastrous party. It's raspberry cordial and currant wine, btw. After the fact-checking, I kept reading. And reading, and reading. I reacquainted myself with all the schoolchildren and nosy neighbors. Anne's feud with Gilbert was so silly. I floated romantically with Anne*, hah. Her insecurities, I felt them. Her indomitable optimism, I wished I had that. Her indomitable chattering, I do have that. I felt heartache over Marilla's unspoken love of Anne and heartbreak as Matthew died once again. God. I love these stories.

I couldn't quite float away on nostalgia fumes. The story is an idealization, as if a mountain is drawn with two straight lines or love is represented by a red rose. It takes the spherical world and flattens it into a disc, disappearing all the truly horrible realities. It seems so innocent and pure, where most children knew lying was wrong and most people cared for each other. So...immune to cynicism and sarcasm. Sigh. As I read, I kept noticing the lack of diversity in Avonlea. George&Rue's tragedy was probably only a couple decades away, a few hundred miles to the west. So many twss opportunities went unnoticed in Avonlea! Could anyone really transplant themself to this Eden and live there? When I read this, I wanted to (although I'm not white enough or, or, true enough).

I'm glad to know I can come back to this without the Thundercats effect.

*I'm embarrassed to talk any music, not having a strong sense of what I like. Most of what I nod to ends up being near-universally acknowledged as overrated and dumb. But the next day after I re-read this, I heard this song on the radio - a tenacious earworm now lodged in my earhole. It winds together with Anne and Avonlea in my mind, a stray lock of hair tossing in the wind and tickling my nape. I'm not bothered by having it stuck on repeat. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I was sitting at the round table at church with some young people over a Sunday noon meal at church. A young lady made a reference to Anne Shirley, and I said, “Anne who?” Her jaw dropped. You’ve never read Anne of Green Gables?!” I confessed I hadn’t. It was on my bookshelf at home, though, and I put it on my mental “To Read list. I finally got around to it, and I’m glad I did. Anne Shirley is an orphan who is brought to the Cuthbert home by mistake. Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, elderly brother and sister, are looking for a young boy to help around the farm, but the orphanage sends Anne instead. She is almost sent back, but is so crestfallen at the prospect that they pity and keep her. Most of the book is taken up with Anne’s antics and escapades, from which she learns to grow up, and Marilla learns to parent. The parenting is the more important, it seems. The moral seems to be that for girls growing up there are certain things they must and will learn, and for adults there are some things to learn about parenting that they must, but don’t necessarily learn. The lessons are quite good, though. “Folks that has brought up children know that there’s no hard and fast method in the world that’ll suit every child. But them as never have think it’s all as plain and easy as Rule of Three – just set your three terms down so fashion, and the sum’ll work out correct. But flesh and blood don’t come under the head of arithmetic…” Add in some small town busybodies and romance, and it’s a cute little story. Some of the writing is a bit formulaic. Each chapter starts with a paragraph of rhetorical flourish describing nature, moves on to some action or event, and closes reflecting on that event. But all in all a good read for an 8 year old girl like mine. ( )
1 vote hemmest | Jul 5, 2010 |
A wonderful series for the dreamers, the thinkers, the kindred spirits. Anne is a quirky, fanciful girl who becomes more lovable and endearing with each passing year's account. Engaging story lines, excellent character development, and lovely settings immediately draw you into Anne's world, and a beautiful one it is. ( )
1 vote kgriffith | Jun 30, 2008 |
Mrs Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops, and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet, well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys wherefores thereof.
This volume includes novels #1, #2, and #5 in the series - not to be confused with the set that includes #1-3, or any other combination of books. One confirmed ISBN for this volume is 051705171.

Anne (with an ‘e’ of course) starts out as a mistake. The elderly Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert had planned on adopting a boy to help Matthew with the chores on their Prince Edward Island farm. What are they to do with the red-haired, high-spirited girl who arrives instead?

Anne Shirley, with her boundless imagination and heart, slowly brings joy into the narrow lives of those around her, and into the lives of readers who have delighted in her adventures since Lucy Maud Montgomery began writing about her in 1905.

Anne’s courage, her enthusiasm, and her ability to love, have made her one of literature’s most beloved characters in Canada and around the world.

This beautifully illustrated volume, with a foreword by Kate Butler MacDonald, one of L. M. Montgomery’s grandchildren, is a treasure for those who find in Anne a familiar friend as well as for those who are discovering this “kindred spirit” for the first time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:46 -0400)

Three enchanting classics, favorites of generations of young readers, follow the life of the irresistible Anne Shirley from adolescence to adulthood. Includes: Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and Anne's House of Dreams. Illustrated.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,498,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible