Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear

Birds of a Feather (2004)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (2)

Recently added byrena75, private library

Maisie Dobbs discovers common evidence at three murder scenes in her investigation of a missing woman. Father injured and Billy needs some mending as well. The book is fairly well put together - easy read. ( )
  addunn3 | Jan 27, 2019 |
Ever so improbable, but easy to enjoy. ( )
  themulhern | Jul 19, 2018 |
Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear is the second in the Maisie Dodds series about a young woman, who nursed during WW I and now has become a private detective. I enjoyed this book a little more than the first, but I am still on the fence as to whether I will continue with this series or not. While I enjoyed the story, I found Maisie relies on her hunches and inner feelings a little too often and would rather see more actual detecting and less intuition used.

Maisie’s private life is a sad one, having her fiance in a coma and living out his years in a nursing home. She is constantly haunted by memories of the brutality of war and this particular case brings up issues that harken back to wartime. Her assistant is also a reminder as he suffers the after-affects of the wounds that he sustained during the war. However I did find the characters to be likeable and by the end of the book I was curious to see where Maisie’s life is heading next. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 18, 2018 |
Digital audio performed by Kim Hicks

The second book in the Maisie Dobbs series has Maisie’s private investigation agency established with an office, and a full-time assistant, Billy Beale. She’s proven herself to Inspector Stratton of Scotland Yard as well. But when Maisie is asked to track down a missing heiress she begins to find clues that point to a connection between her case and Stratton’s murder investigation.

I like this series. Maisie is a resourceful, intelligent, assertive young woman, who listens carefully and seeks advice from her mentors. She’s also astute in noticing problems, and compassionate in helping others confront their demons. Billy is a wonderful sidekick and I like that Winspear includes some after-effects of his service in WWI (i.e. “The Great War”). This gives Maisie some additional chance to use her training in psychology. I also appreciate the growing relationship between Maisie and Stratton. I’ll keep reading this series.

Kim Hicks does a fine job of voicing the audio book. She has good pacing and is skilled at using the various dialects and accents required for this series. ( )
  BookConcierge | Apr 13, 2018 |
Another wonderful book by Winspear. I think this Maisie Dobbs series is now one of my favorites. I really enjoy the descriptive writing style, and I think the character of Dobbs is really well done. This story had enough mystery in it to keep me guessing, but the post-WWI issues that the many characters had to deal with were fascinating and realistic. Highly recommended. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,591,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible