Birds of a Feather

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (2)

Maisie Dobbs is back and this time she has been hired to find a wealthy grocery magnate's daughter who has fled from home. What seems a simple case at first becomes complicated when Maisie learns of the recent violent deaths of three of the heiress's old friends. Is there a connection between her mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would kill such charming young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers to all her questions lie in the unforgettable agony of The Great War.… (more)
Recently added bydlduncan, private library, Arina40, kittytm, rhfoesch, baughga, nolanotes

It is now 1930, a year after Maisie begins her investigative business. She has moved to Fitzroy Square and hired an assistant, Billy Beale. She has also gained the respect of Detective Inspector Stratton of Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad, not bad for a girl who has moved from servant to scholar to investigator and psychologist. She is hired by Joseph Waite, a domineering father and employer, to find his adult wayward daughter, Charlotte, who just ran away. He is a self-made man who owns the string of Waite's International Stores. He is demanding, but also compassionate to people less fortunate as long as it is on his terms. Maisie finds a link between her case and Stratton's murder case in Coulsden as she tracks down Charlotte's friends. ( )
  baughga | Sep 14, 2020 |
I read this aloud to/with a friend who has cancer. We’d read book one and moved on to book two. This series is delightful and clever.It takes us a long time to get through these books but we both love them. They’re so much fun. Great humor. Great pathos. Great psychological insight. Absolutely wonderful, lovable, captivating and memorable characters and interesting relationships. Good mysteries too. This series reminds me a bit of the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths and that is high praise. I do appreciate how all of the recurring characters are basically good and that even the villains are humanized and shown sympathetically. Read 2020/05/25-2020/07/04. The author does a good enough job with her characters that it was rare I got confused despite taking so long to read this book. It’s an enjoyable read aloud book. I know I would like it anyway but it’s even more entertaining to read it aloud/read it with someone else. Very sweet acknowledgments page at the end of the book where her dog and her cat are mentioned. Read a borrowed e-copy from my public library due to the pandemic. 4-1/2 stars ( )
  Lisa2013 | Jul 4, 2020 |
Book 2 in the Maisie Dobbs series was more enjoyable, having less backstory of her saga as a nurse in the battlefields of WWI and the sadness that harkens back to wartime. Her detective investigations took precedence and were fully engaging as she sought to unravel a runaway-girl case and deal with her assistant's difficulties related to war wounds and narcotics addiction.

However, there are some scenes that feel a bit paranormal, a situation that was faintly touched upon in the first book but not as explicitly described. Somehow, such developments are out of place in what is otherwise a logical detective mystery. The motive behind the murders (and thus the likely murderer) was fairly easy to recognise when feathers were discovered at the murder scenes by anyone with some knowledge of WWI. I didn't mind this big hint but after such a reveal, the final drama was a bit overdone.

I recommend this book for it's strong female characters, the detecting aspects, aside from the aura of paranormal intuitions, and the historical setting. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 7, 2020 |
Between-the-wars England is as much a character in this mystery novel as its protagonist, the marvellous Maisie Dobbs. Jacqueline Winspear goes against the conventional wisdom of the private detective genre in creating a likeable, torment-free protagonist. Maisie is an intuitive investigator, assisted by wounded Great War veteran Billy Beale.

Birds is the second novel in the Maisie Dobbs series and here she has to find Charlotte Waite, the daughter of a wealthy businessman. The search ends with the arrest of a serial killer who had murdered friends Charlotte.

The book's even pace isn't disrupted by sub-plots about Maisie's father and Billy's struggle with the remnants of being in the Great War. They give the novel depth and emotional appeal.

If you're interested in the inter-war period and like mysteries, you'll enjoy Birds of a Feather. I'm looking forward to reading the third in the series Pardonable Lies. ( )
  Neil_333 | Mar 6, 2020 |
As thoroughly enjoyable as the first Maisie Dobbs book! ( )
  Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

Winspear, JacquelineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,616,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible