Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

1,801953,889 (3.88)194
Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

Recently added bykaulsu, nmgski, private library, LoriOnLTB, diana.n, Rena37, CandaceVan, siljefus, kamelaryan, ChrisSterry

Once again, very well written. Definitely a bit "darker" than the first, but I'm still in love with an author that clearly edits her drafts before publication.

Winspear spent a lot of her word allowance on describing the fashions of the day. It truly was a revolution of hemlines after the war. She did a good job, but I'm not sure how sustainable that line will be.

In this book she also spent some time discussing the ramifications of the emerging British class. She is set on a course to date two men who are squarely situated there and who won't care that she is there, also ( )
  kaulsu | Oct 19, 2016 |
Love Jacqueline Winspear's Masie Dobbs series. If you read carefully there are some wonderful points for rumination between Masie and some of the other ongoing characters. This particular book gives us hope that Masie is going to move on a little from her first love. We also have the opportunity to see some more positive changes in the life of Billy Beale, and his home life, with Masies help that that of her friends. I hope if you have never read on of Ms. Winspear's books you will give one a try. ( )
1 vote JanicsEblen | Jul 16, 2016 |
Another good crime story and again with an aspect of WWI as part of the crime.

It will be interesting to see if Maisie Dobbs ever get out of her shell and find happiness and love - she’s cold and reserved most of the time and I feel even as we read about her inner life and thoughts there a places she don’t want to go - where it hurts too much. But of course its the psycholigical part of the novels that are made more interesting as she struggles herself.

That is also reflected in the story of her sidekick Billy Bean - the old war-veteran who tries to hide his pain and wounds with morphine pills.

Interesting series that shows the effect of the wounds after WW1. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jun 14, 2016 |
During the Great War in England, women were solicited to hand out feathers to men who were not participating in the war. After the war, three women were murdered an one was missing. They were all connected, thereby the name of the book, BIRDS OF A FEATHER. ( )
  pgabj | Jun 4, 2016 |
Haven't read it yet! ( )
  flashflood42 | May 22, 2016 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.
How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,787,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible