Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

Birds of a Feather, is the second book in the Maisie Dobbs series. It's a wonderful cozy , engaging, well written read.

In post WW1 Britain, in 1930, Maisie Dobbs and her assistant , Billy Beale ( not a romantic connection ) are called on to investigate the disappearance of an heiress. Charlotte Waite is in her early thirties and has lived at home with her very fierce and controlling father, Joseph , and he wants her found and returned home. Has she run away , as her father suspects, or is there more to the story? As three of Charlotte's old friends turn up dead, the case become more complex. Meanwhile Billy Beale seems to be having both mood and physical problems as he deals with the his amputated leg, a legacy of WW1. Could the answer to the missing woman be in some way connected with WW1?

Maisie employs her wonderful powers of intuition, knowledge and resourceful thinking in her capacity as a Private Sleuth . I really enjoy the time period and the fascinating side characters in the series. 4 stars. ( )
1 vote vancouverdeb | Oct 5, 2015 |
Good mystery with a bit of history thrown in! The setting is England in the 1920's when many are suffering from war wounds, both physical and psychological. Maisie continues to build her practice as "psychologist" and "investigator." I enjoyed the book and learned something new about post-war England. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
An excellent entry in a very good series. Late to this author, I will have the pleasure of reading and enjoying the rest of the series. With an interesting protagonist in an unusual occupation during a rich and compelling historical period all enhanced by a coherent plot,this series is one to anticipate. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jul 18, 2015 |
I like Maisie Dobbs for her humanity and consideration of others when she's handling interrogations. In this book, Maisie is asked by a wealthy man to find his daughter. Maisie discovers that 3 of her friends have been murdered and that Charlotte might be next. Also she and Billy Beale's husband note that his behavior has been erratic and his war wound causing more pain than ususal. ( )
  bereanna | Jun 26, 2015 |
#2 in my favorite series ( )
  saradiann | May 19, 2015 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.
How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,871,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible