Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:MsSomeday
Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

I loved the first Maisie Dobbs novel, so I was excited to get around to the second one. This mystery was decent, but a little more predictable than the first one, and I left it feeling a little disappointed. In fact, I felt so blase about this book that it has taken me forever to write my review. It’s not that it was bad, just average and I don’t feel like I had much noteworthy to say about it.

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog. ( )
  dorolerium | Nov 6, 2014 |
This is the second in the Maisie Dobbs story. While I felt I knew Maisie quite well after reading the first book, Winspear continues to develop Maisie's character in her second book. We also more about her assistant Billy Beale, who is an excellent complement to Maisie. These parts of the book assured me that Winspear is creating characters that will hold my interest across the series. But the mystery that was the focus of this novel was what really propelled the story forward. With three related murders and a missing persons case, Maisie finds herself investigating on multiple fronts. But this is a task for which she is well suited. I love Maisie's combination of directness and empathy and can't wait to see what challenges she faces next. ( )
  porch_reader | Oct 18, 2014 |
I started out with the Maisie Dobbs series down the line, chronologically, with A Lesson In Secrets. Then backed up. Birds of a Feather, being the second in the series, has enough of a background which doesn't require me to read the first to understand continuity. And as I now finish this one and start on another, I find that enough background is given so that the reader can follow the sequence of events and the character development. The combined elements of the psychological and historical make this particular book fascinating. Venue, clothes and time-period references, for example the reference to Joseph Pilates, show good research and respect for the reader. The whole situation with the Feathers, the foundation of the book, is intriguing and probably not generally known. Excellent title choice. The character of Maisie is exceptionally modern but the author manages to place her comfortably into the period- the Thirties. Definitely worth your while to read slowly. ( )
  HugoReads | Jul 3, 2014 |
My first Maisie Dobbs mystery and definitely not my last.

Enjoyable characterization and sleuthing. Good pacing without lulls, even as our MC pursues information in one direction and a subplot takes our attention in another.

Well written and, of course, the British element catching and keeping my interest. The story closes with just enough romantic suspense to have me on the lookout for the next Maisie in the series. ( )
  FHC | Jun 22, 2014 |
I enjoy Maisie and her family, friends, and mentors. I'm even enjoying the new little bit of romance that is sneaking into this book. The characters are well written and the plot is believeable, and even the detective is wrongheaded, rather than stupid. I enjoy the look into England of 1930, and even like what others are calling Maisie's 'paranormal' tendencies and which I think of as her being sensitive on a level most people aren't. I look foward to reading more of the Maisie Dobbs series. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jun 8, 2014 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:21 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible