Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:MsSomeday
Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

I like Maisie Dobbs for her humanity and consideration of others when she's handling interrogations. In this book, Maisie is asked by a wealthy man to find his daughter. Maisie discovers that 3 of her friends have been murdered and that Charlotte might be next. Also she and Billy Beale's husband note that his behavior has been erratic and his war wound causing more pain than ususal. ( )
  bereanna | Jun 26, 2015 |
#2 in my favorite series ( )
  saradiann | May 19, 2015 |
Another winner -- I thoroughly enjoyed this second in the series and like the way the author is developing the continuing characters. This was an interesting plot and certainly held my interest. I highly recommend this series. ( )
  Jcambridge | Mar 17, 2015 |
I like these Masie Dobbs stories for their easy readability, their sharp characterization, and gently molded plots. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,885,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible