Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:MsSomeday
Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

Another second book in a series that lives up to the promise of the first. I suppose some people might be disappointed because the second one doesn't have the movement between periods in Maisie's life and therefore loses some of the complexity. However, because of that, it also is a much better mystery and more true to the genre. The red herrings are excellent, as I thought for sure I knew what was going on. And even at the end, the answer was not cut and dried. I really do love Maisie and Maurice and Lady Rowan and Billy and even the maids. ( )
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
This is the second book of the series I've read; pretty old school mystery that reminds me of Agatha Christie's books. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
A young woman had done a bolt from her father's mansion..... This is nothing new, but he wants her back. As he pays for her entire life, he believes that he has the right to run her life in the same staunch manner he runs his specialty groceries......

As Maisie goes about interviewing the three women who were her friends, she finds that one by one, they've all been murdered and with all but one a clue (undisclosed) has been left behind.

Billy, Maisie's assistant, is acting strange; Maisie's father has been hurt while helping a mare foal, making a place for Billy to recuperate; Maisie's love is still shell shocked and beyond this world; and the clues are all tied into the past of the Groceries Mogul's daughter and the war.........

It was an easy read, but not as delightful as the first book in the series. In fact, this one dragged a bit and I didn't like the peripheral characters much, they seemed to have few, if any, redeeming qualities. But once the end came around, they whys & wherefores became clear. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Like the first Maisie Dobbs, this is a very thoughtful mystery. We continue to learn about Maisie's back story and her evolution as a person and a detective. The case, too, refers back to historical events and attitudes, the results of war, and family relationships. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Birds of a Feather is the second novel in Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs mystery series. Set in late 1920s England, the series features a young private detective, Maisie Dobbs, as the heroine. In this novel Maisie is recruited by a wealthy businessman to locate his runaway daughter. While the case initially seems straightforward, it soon becomes complicated by the deaths of three former school friends of the runaway woman. While it seems that the three deaths are unrelated, Maisie investigates them in the hopes they will help solve her case. What she uncovers leads her back to events of the Great War, which turns her case into one much larger than that of simply locating a runaway woman.

While the mystery component of the series' first novel (titled Maisie Dobbs) wasn't all that mysterious, nor was it the focal point of the book (click here to read my review), in Birds of a Feather the mystery serves as the foundation for the story. Winspear does a good job of subtlety linking Maisie's case to that of the deaths of three women so that the connection between them does not become obvious until the novel's conclusion. Winspear also excels, much like she did in her first novel, at illustrating the impact of the lingering effects of the Great War on those whose lived through it. Ultimately, however, I didn't enjoy Birds of Feather nearly as much as I did the first novel in the series. My lack of enthusiasm for this book comes down to the simple fact that for much of the novel Maisie, who is clearly an intelligent and independent woman, comes across as cold and detached. While this is understandable given everything Maisie has been through, it makes it quite difficult for the reader to connect with the heroine. This begins to change towards the novel's end, which makes me hopeful that Maisie will continue to grow as the series progresses, but not enough to improve my rating. Nevertheless, I will continue with this series.

Recommended to fans of the first Maisie Dobbs novel, as well as to those interested in reading books set in the period between the two World Wars. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,166,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible