Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:MsSomeday
Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

Recently added bymsjudy, lvha, flashflood42, private library, appleby, duranteaj, Svevocamus, arenie5000, thetrevr

Haven't read it yet!
  flashflood42 | May 22, 2016 |
Interesting detective series post WW I. Explores a number of women's themes, going below surface of the typical detective story. Also explores interesting body language communicatin and deductive methods. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I'm fairly new to the Maisie Dobbs series, but I think I'm hooked. The time, Maisie has been asked to find Charlotte Waite. No one seems to have really liked Charlotte but Maisie is determined to do her best by this woman. One of the big questions is how did World War One come into play and affect Charlotte and the few friends she had. ( )
  kp9949 | Feb 22, 2016 |
2008, BBC Audiobooks, Read by Kim Hicks

Book Description: adapted from Amazon.ca
Birds of a Feather, the follow-up to Maisie Dobbs, finds psychologist and private investigator Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London “between the wars.” It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

My Review:
Thoroughly engaged in and enjoying the Maisie Dobbs series. I love the premise of a woman detective self-employed in the 1930s. The lessons Maisie has learned from the inimitable Dr Maurice Blanche ring true for me: that one’s job is not simply to resolve and close a case for the account-paying client, but to find a resolution in each case which will benefit all parties involved. Further, one’s job is not done until there has been a final accounting, in which the parties are revisited, and the effectiveness of the resolution critically reviewed.

Kim Hicks as narrator did not work for me. She is a fine reader, no doubt, but she reads very loudly and very quickly, and this grated. Happily, I see the remainder of the series is narrated by Orlagh Cassidy.

Looking forward to Pardonable Lies. ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Feb 13, 2016 |
Another second book in a series that lives up to the promise of the first. I suppose some people might be disappointed because the second one doesn't have the movement between periods in Maisie's life and therefore loses some of the complexity. However, because of that, it also is a much better mystery and more true to the genre. The red herrings are excellent, as I thought for sure I knew what was going on. And even at the end, the answer was not cut and dried. I really do love Maisie and Maurice and Lady Rowan and Billy and even the maids. ( )
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,926,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible