Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:MsSomeday
Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

Masie Dobbs is back with another mystery that is wrapped up in the fall-out from WWI. I enjoyed seeing Masie coming to terms with her own fall out from the war and how that gave her insight into who was committing the murders. There is a significant element of emotional awareness in this book and in Masie's method of detection. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 20, 2017 |
BIRDS OF A FEATHER by Jacqueline Winspear
A tight plot and likeable characters people this mystery set in post World War I England. Masie is a detective and a psychologist and uses both to solve interesting and informative crimes. This one is no different. Hired to find a runaway daughter, Masie stumbles on a serial killer. Well written, with believable and clearly drawn characters with interesting backgrounds and a spot on sense of time and place, this series gets better as it continues. While the second in the series, there is no need to have read the first before beginning this one.
5 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | May 6, 2017 |
This is a very good second outing for Maisie Dobbs. There is a much bigger mystery element than in the first book, where a lot of space is taken up on telling Maisie's back story. This book does give a good feel for life after the First World War, and the ramifications this still had. The murders that form the core of the book have their cause rooted in events that happened during the war. Maisie still comes off as quite aloof in this book, but there is evidence as the book progresses of her thawing out and being ready to move on with her life. It will be interesting to see how that develops in the next few books in the series. If you enjoy historical mysteries I would certainly recommend this series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Dec 18, 2016 |
My barely reading, but I started listening to this the other night. A perfect book for these ongoing brain-dead nights. I listen, and play solitaire.

Maisie Dobbs wears after awhile. But the audio narrator was really good, which made up for a number of Winspear's faults. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous and inspired debut, Maisie Dobbs, won her fans from coast to coast and raised her intuitive, intelligent, and resourceful heroine to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths. Birds of a Feather finds Maisie Dobbs on another dangerously intriguing adventure in London "between the wars." It is the spring of 1930, and Maisie has been hired to find a runaway heiress. But what seems a simple case at the outset soon becomes increasingly complicated when three of the heiress’s old friends are found dead. Is there a connection between the woman’s mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would want to kill three seemingly respectable young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers lie in the unforgettable agony of the Great War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

When Maisie Dobbs is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy grocery magnate, she discovers that three of the heiress's friends have died violently, leading her to investigate the connection between the disappearance and the murders.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,320,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible