Eon by Alison Goodman

Eon (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Alison Goodman

Member:Corvidae
Title:Eon
Authors:Alison Goodman
Info:Firebird (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fction, series, fantasy, young adult

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (2008)

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (notemily)
    notemily: DRAGONS!
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (shadrach_anki, Caramellunacy, 0628perfect)
    shadrach_anki: There are definite similarities in theme between these two books, but each has its own take on it.
    Caramellunacy: Both of these stories are fantasy stories about a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to be allowed to apprentice & learn to fight. Alanna learns to wield both sword and magic as a knight & mage. Eon(a) is chosen to be a dragoneye and must learn to wield the political and magical power this brings.… (more)
    0628perfect: In both Eon and this book the main female protaganist have to hide their identities. They have to pretend to be boys to survive in the world.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (bluehighlighter)
    Daughter of the Flames by Zoë Marriott (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similar strong female protagonist, engaging fantasy world, martial arts action

English (100)  French (2)  Latin (1)  All languages (103)
Audiobook.

My favorite part of this book was the wonderful & complex world itself (the culture, the art, the food, the social structures), and the logistics of the "magic system" by which the dragoneyes interface with their energy dragons. I also did very much appreciate the diverse cast, and the explorations of gender issues.

Overall this was a worthwhile and enjoyable read for me, and I am hoping that the second book will be even more so since the main character has now figured out the things that were frustrating me!

I am curious about what other folks think of the ending in terms of what becomes of the villain -- I liked it, but I wished there had been a bit more setup for what happened (trying to be vague to avoid spoilers here).
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: This book was a treat to read. I took my time so I could savor each chapter. I love how Alison Goodman took historical practices in Asian culture and acclimated it into her fantasy world. Those rituals were obviously well researched. I was also intrigued throughout was the exploration of gender and what it truly means to be “masculine” or “feminine.” The story treats sexism with care and realistic representation. The main character is not a traditional superhero. Eona is crippled, not only physically, but also mentally due to the unreachable standards that society has set — to obtain true masculinity.

The only thing I do not care for is the book's length (500 pages). The plot is very drawn-out and could easily be reduced to 400 pages. That said, I respect the author’s choice of drawing the reader in with detailed descriptions. I would recommend this book for ages 14+. This book would be a great gift to anybody interested in high fantasy and genuine female characters.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Nov 7, 2014 |
Eon is a cripple trying to become the next dragon apprentice. But he is hiding a bigger secret than anyone knows - and as he emerges as an unknown power in court, he will have to keep this secret hidden as many eyes watch his every move.

I like this book a lot. It hit all the right spots in my YA fantasy craving. It had solid moments, great action, and lovely characters to cheer on. Eon, or Eona really, is a great character. There is true strength in her character, not just the author telling us she is strong. The way she goes forward and tries to solve her problems without giving up is worth reading. I also appreciated how sensible she was. This is a first person point of view that doesn't grate on me at all.

I am completely in love with the way Goodman was able to write the exposure scenes when Eona had to reveal her secrets. I love the doubt and the anger of the side characters, and the angry defensive way Eona responded in kind. I felt angry reading it and just as frustrated - perfect translation of emotions from pages to the reader. It felt real. Where no character is perfect, everyone makes mistakes and judges other people on their own perceptions. The author writes subtlety so well. Like ahhmygosh this is beautiful, sort of subtlety. She can capture emotion between characters -hidden love, betrayal, disgust, fear, anger- in such simple ways. It is never heavy handed, never spoon fed to the reader. But we see it in the softness of the dialogue, the harsh commands, the body language. This book leaves me space to imagine, and I love it for that.

One thing, though, is that there are very limited characters in this book. I don't mind because it's a YA fantasy and if you introduced more major characters, it would end up being more of an epic high fantasy sort of book, which it definitely is not. But I'm just a little concerned for the sequel because a small character cast usually ends up with a shallow story and plot for the sequels...... But I'll just have to trust the author.

The world is rather interesting because even though it's set in this quasi-Eastern Asian world with analogues of the zodiac, dragons, emperors, the dichotomy of the Sun and Moon powers in people, and talk of foreigners, we can still see remnants of the modern world. Sun powder is obviously steroids. Little things like that. It manages to be different and familiar at the same time. But it is easy in its familiarity and makes it even easier for me to fall into this world.

The dragon powers are a bit amorphous at this moment. I am hoping Goodman will elucidate more about how it all works in the future books. Illusions and fighting techniques and swords that can hold emotions. Yes it is all interesting. But I want to know a little more of the rules that govern this type of magic. I am eagerly waiting. Also, I am not sold on the fact that one dragon can be so much more powerful.

The plot was absolutely fantastic. I just have all the highest praises for Goodman's writing. She doesn't give away the tension. She makes it harder for the main character, to let us see Eona's strength when the problems are finally resolved. The protagonist doesn't always win. And that is fantastic.

Although I only rated this book three stars, it's actually a very solid 3.5 stars. And if I ever reread this series, I will change the rounding from three to four. I am not sure it can last the test of a second read, so that's why I'm hesitating and rounding it down for now. 4 stars, for me, means I definitely will reread it. And right now, it's up in the air. But my gosh, I can tell I'm going to like this series already. And I will definitely be looking up other books from this author.

Highly recommended to YA fantasy readers.

-edit-
Read the sequel "Eona" and I would still recommend this book. But book one is better than the second. I probably won't reread this series though. It doesn't end as strongly as I would have liked. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Highly recommended to YA fantasy readers.

-edit-
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I would never have picked this up to read on my own, but I really enjoyed it. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
For my dear friend, Karen McKenzie
No one knows how the first Dragoneyes made their dangerous bargain with the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.
Published as 'Eon: Dragoneye Reborn' in the US, as 'Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye' in the UK, and in Australia as 'The Two Pearls of Wisdom' (adult edition) and 'Eon' (YA edition)

Action—a stunning magic system—swordplay galore!

Eon has been studying the ancient art of Dragon Magic for four years, hoping he’ll be able to apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But he also has a dark secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been living a dangerous lie for the chance to become a Dragoneye, the human link to an energy dragon’s power. It is forbidden for females to practice the Dragon Magic and, if discovered, Eon faces a terrible death. After a dazzling sword ceremony, Eon’s affinity with the twelve dragons catapults him into the treacherous world of the Imperial court where he makes a powerful enemy, Lord Ido. As tension builds and Eon’s desperate lie comes to light, readers won’t be able to stop turning the pages …

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:18 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Eon hopes to become an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune and learn to be its main interpreter, but to do so will require much, including keeping secret that she is a girl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,156,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible