Cities and the Wealth of Nations: Principles…

Cities and the Wealth of Nations: Principles of Economic Life (1984)

by Jane Jacobs

Island: The Complete Stories by Alistair MacLeod (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: MacLeod's stories illustrate, on a very human level, communities created by and suffering from the economic phenomena described by Jacobs.

257 p.
  BmoreMetroCouncil | Feb 9, 2017 |
Brilliantly simple explanation what makes the solid base of the economy.
  parp | Aug 29, 2016 |
The first chapter is a standard review of basic economic theoriests, in which Jacobs sets the stage for a thesis that ranges over many centuries and the world. When production drops one place and the former workers are not provided for there is major econommic hardship. Jacobs has many tidbits of "did you know"s...that the Isle of Man and Iceland had parliaments before Great Britain, and Uraguay was once a thriving country. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Jan 8, 2011 |
Much as I loved _Death and Life_, I just couldn't get through this one. There were a lot of interesting ideas, and I wish I'd read this before struggling to write something about cities and economics and theory in grad school -- she ties together some interesting threads on that one. But her autodidacticism, which served her so well in _Death and Life_ (whose thesis called chiefly for keen observation of things available for anyone to see), doesn't work here -- I keep wondering if she's out of her depth. Things didn't ring true, and I got annoyed and never did read the last few chapters. ( )
1 vote Andromeda_Yelton | Dec 21, 2008 |
This book is for Jason Epstein, who has waited so long for it with good humor and good counsel
For a little while in the middle of this century it seemed that the wild, intractable, dismal science of economics had yielded up something we all want: instructions for getting or keeping prosperity.

"Learned, iconoclastic and exciting...Jacobs' diagnosis of the decay of cities in an increasingly integrated world economy is on the mark."—New York Times Book Review

"Jacobs' book is inspired, idiosyncratic and personal...It is written with verve and humor; for a work of embattled theory, it is wonderfully concrete, and its leaps are breathtaking."—Los Angeles Times

"Not only comprehensible but entertaining...Like Mrs. Jacobs' other books, it offers a concrete approach to an abstract and elusive subject. That, all by itself, makes for an intoxicating experience."—New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:03 -0400)

In this eye-opening work of economic theory, Jane Jacobs argues that it is cities--not nations--that are the drivers of wealth. Challenging centuries of economic orthodoxy, in Cities and the Wealth of Nations the beloved author contends that healthy cities are constantly evolving to replace imported goods with locally-produced alternatives, spurring a cycle of vibrant economic growth. Intelligently argued and drawing on examples from around the world and across the ages, here Jacobs radically changes the way we view our cities--and our entire economy. … (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,423,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible