Clarissa: Or the History of a Young Lady by…

Clarissa: Or the History of a Young Lady (1747)

by Samuel Richardson

1,182326,806 (3.5)1 / 321

English (31)  French (1)  English (32)
Volume 9 Summary: Love how Richardson wraps up this overly long story of his by recapping the various characters and their just rewards and providing the reader with a more fulsome explanation of a couple of the ladies of ill repute employed by Lovelace to corrupt Clarissa. Very happy to see some of the characters experiencing first hand what karma is all about. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 14, 2016 |
Volume 8 Summary: Humm….. I am starting to get rather tired of the whole posturing of Lovelace, moralizing of Belford and continued virtuous-expounding of Clarissa. As for her family, I agree 100% with Colonel Morden and his opinion of the lot of them. Best bit of eye-rolling entertainment was reading the over-the-top letters by Mr. Brand… a perfect example of someone who thinks waaaaay too highly of themselves, their literary knowledge and their writing prowess!

Good news, there is only one more volume to go. The end is in sight! ( )
  lkernagh | Sep 12, 2016 |
Volume 7 Summary: I continue to be amazed at all that Clarissa experiences/ encounters/ endures. I am not surprised that she is thinking of closure and good no her for continuing to want nothing to do with Lovelace. That man is despicable beyond belief. If I hadn’t been so horrified by the unexpected turn of events Clarissa encountered (and which even Lovelace was shocked to learn about!), I would have laughed at how even the master of manipulation was not in control of all events as they unfold. Thank goodness there are people in the story like Lovelace’s friend Belford to try and balance out the wrongs of Lovelace and Clarissa’s family. Yes, I continue to point a finger at the Harlowes for their mean-spirited condemnation of Clarissa’s plight. Anyways…. Onwards I read. ( )
  lkernagh | Aug 21, 2016 |
Volume 6 Summary: A bit of excitement in this volume as Clarissa exhibits sudden fits of feistiness and calculated planning that has even Lovelace having moments of panic – not something I would have expected given that Lovelace has appeared to be the one in control up until now. What still continues to baffle me is “why”…. Why does Lovelace continue to plague Clarissa? I mean, I know that some individuals will persist in a course of action contrary to the desires of the object of interest, but even Lovelace must realize this really has gone too far, even for him! Of course, I was clapping my hands with joy when the events at the end of Volume 6 unfolded. Well played Clarissa! ( )
  lkernagh | Aug 11, 2016 |
Volume 5 Summary: OMG.... What can I say, spoiler free, except to comment that Lovelace is one very conniving, dubious individual. The fact that he has the time to come up with the various contrivances to test Clarissa's virtue is so despicable gives a whole knew understanding top the term "rake". No wonder Clarissa is feeling at her wits ends! She is hitting brick wall after brick wall in seeking her deliverance. Thankfully, she is not a woman without calculating means to counter and stymie Lovelace in his quest. This test of virtue he is exposing Clarissa to is just a young rich man's fancy gone way to far...why he doesn't spend his time chasing policeman's caps, etc I can only guess is due to his aversion to doing any jail time. As for Clarissa's family... where the heck have they been this past volume??? Nice family if they are that quick to disown their daughter and absolve themselves of any involvement in Clarissa's predicament , forgetting the fact that their desire that Clarissa marry the unwelcomed Solmes character as a "husband" for Clarissa, and was pretty much the precipice to everything that follows, makes me want to shame the family as being unworthy. Makes me wonder if a form of social media in the 1700's have produced a very different result to date (considering Clarissa's predicament comes down to the inability of Clarissa to find any "champions" to her cause other than than her friend Miss Howe and the more recent quavering of Belford, Lovelace's friend.

Overall, I can see why anyone trying to read the story based on letter dates gets frustrated. I swear over half of the story is captured in letters written between April and early July! I need a break from the drama - and drama it is!. ( )
  lkernagh | Jun 13, 2016 |

Richardson, Samuelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ross, AngusEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am extremely concerned, my dearest friend, for the disturbances that have happened in your family.

‘Oh thou savage-hearted monster! What work hast thou made in one guilty hour, for a whole age of repentance!’

Pressured by her unscrupulous family to marry a wealthy man she detests, the young Clarissa Harlowe is tricked into fleeing with the witty and debonair Robert Lovelace and places herself under his protection. Lovelace, however, proves himself to be an untrustworthy rake whose vague promises of marriage are accompanied by unwelcome and increasingly brutal sexual advances. And yet, Clarissa finds his charm alluring, her scrupulous sense of virtue tinged with unconfessed desire. Told through a complex series of interweaving letters, Clarissa is a richly ambiguous study of a fatally attracted couple and a work of astonishing power and immediacy. A huge success when it first appeared in 1747, and translated into French and German, it remains one of the greatest of all European novels.

In his introduction, Angus Ross examines characterization, the epistolary style, the role of the family and the position of women in Clarissa. This edition also includes a chronology, suggestions for further reading, tables of letters, notes, a glossary and an appendix on the music for the ‘Ode to Wisdom’.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:19 -0400)

Based on the 18th century novel by Samuel Richardson, this is the original tale of fatal attraction and dangerous liasons. A wealthy young heiress, famed for her virtue, is sought by a man wishing to seduce her and destroy her reputation. For the first time in his life he becomes genuinely infatuated with his prey, and sows the seeds of his own fate.… (more)

90 wanted13 free

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible