Fever Pitch (1992)

by Nick Hornby

4,208512,000 (3.64)70
A famous account of growing up to be a fanatical football supporter. Told through a series of match reports, FEVER PITCH has enjoyed enormous critical and commercial success since it was first published in 1992. It has helped to create a new kind ofsports writing, and established Hornby as one of the finest writers of his generation.… (more)

English (46)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (51)
Nonostante il calcio che imperversa. Grazie a Stefano che mi ha fatto conoscere Nick Hornby partendo proprio dal libro che in potenza mi sarebbe dovuto piacere meno. ( )
  Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |
A life chronicled in football matches
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
I don't really know what I expected, but Fever Pitch is, despite the critical acclaim, just a bloke talking about football for 250 pages. It's not a rom-com like the film (the good one with Colin Firth and a screenplay by Hornby) and though I am a football fan (Manchester United, since you ask) I got a bit tired of hearing about what Arsenal were like in the Eighties. Author Nick Hornby also comes across at times as a rather selfish and unlikeable person; football comes before friends and family for him and, at one point, he says that if Arsenal had won the League or the Cup in 1985/86, it would have put his sadness over the Heysel disaster into some kind of perspective" (pg. 157). Also, consider this following passage, in which Hornby is facing up to missing a cup game: "... the girl I was living with took me to Paris for the weekend as a Christmas present. When I saw the date on the tickets, I was unable, shamingly, to hide my disappointment, and she was understandably hurt." (pg. 149). Especially in a book which was already struggling to get me onside, such comments and admissions are damaging.

The book is quite well-written with some good passages (the bit on Brazil in 1970 on pages 36-8 was interesting), and provides a decent insight into a pre-Hillsborough and pre-Sky Sports football culture which has all but gone. But most of Hornby's footballing insights will already have crossed the minds of those readers who are football fans, making it a rather unnecessary endeavour (though still an agreeable one). And if you're not already a fan, why would you be reading what is, when it really comes down to it, just a football book?" ( )
  Mike_F | Jun 3, 2016 |
FAR, FAR better than the recent movie which claimed to have been based on this book, but which if it had been, would have instead centered on a fan of British Football (i.e., "soccer") rather than Bo-Sox BASEBALL, for cripe's sake. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Great book even for the non Arsenal fan. I can totally associate with Hornby's frustrations and joys. One of the few football based books that all fans could read and enjoy. Great to re-live the 80's ( )
  Tony2704 | Mar 6, 2015 |

Nick Hornbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pedrotti, FedericaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A mia madre, e a mio padre
Mi innamorai del calcio come mi sarei poi innamorato delle donne: improvvisamente, inesplicabilmente, acriticamente, senza pensare al dolore o allo sconvolgimento che avrebbe portato con sé.
I tend to overestimate the metaphorical value of football, and therefore introduce it into conversations where it simply does not belong.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140293442, 0141045493, 0241950198, 0141391812

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible