Dark Fire by C. J. Sansom

Dark Fire (2004)

by C. J. Sansom

Series: Matthew Shardlake (2)

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (Popup-ch)
    Popup-ch: Wolf Hall shows another side of Thomas Cromwell, a principal antagonist in Dark Fire.
    Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel (NeilDalley)

English (91)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (97)
An excellent Historical Fiction read. I enjoyed the book and look forward to the next in the series. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
What happens in two weeks in London in 1539? Set around more tumultuous events, a lawyer is asked to defend a young woman accused of throwing her cousin down a well. It, however, escalates to a much bigger case which sees him working directly for Thomas Cromwell.
A enjoyable book to read, steeped in history, but a few too many convenient twists and turns for me to come to a satisfactory conclusion. But that's fiction. ( )
  robeik | May 4, 2018 |
Dark Fire takes place in Tudor England in 1540. Thomas Cromwell's position is in trouble and Shardlake is given the task of a young girl accused of murder. She refuses to speak in her defense and is imprisoned. Cromwell gives Shardlake 2 weeks to prove her innocence. In the meanwhile Shardlake is also commissioned to find a lost cask of Dark Fire which is a weapon of mass destruction.

This book takes up right after the events of Dissolution. The character of Shardlake grows on you as he is a good and honest man. He is commissioned once more to solve a murder mystery which has political repercussions to the success or failure of Thomas Cromwell's position. There is lots of adventure and period detail and history to be fascinated with once again. Samson's characters are complex and well-drawn. The plot is very believable and held my interest to the very end. I look forward to reading the next installment of the series and I would highly recommend this book to those who love historical mysteries. ( )
  EadieB | May 2, 2018 |
Book two in the Shardlake series. He is involved in a murder trial of a young female accused of murdering her cousin but throwing him down a well. She is refusing to plead innocent or guilty by staying completely silent. Shardlake has promised her uncle that he will attempt to find out what really happened and save her even though she is refusing to speak out to save herself.
Meanwhile Shardlake has been summoned to Thomas Cromwell and given an investigation even though he thought he was out of the good graces of Cromwell. Shardlake has only two weeks to solve Cromwell's mystery and help the young girl.

"Why does faith bring out the worst in so many, Guy?’ I blurted out. ‘How is it that it can turn men, papist and reformer both, into brutes?"
"Man is an angry, savage being. Sometimes faith becomes an excuse for battle. It is no real faith then. In justifying their positions in the name of God, men silence God."

I enjoyed this much more than the previous book in the series. I found Shardlake easier to like this time around and it's always great when I don't figure out the ending ahead of time!
3.5*
1 vote ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |
A hugely enjoyable historical mystery novel, set in a vividly created London of 1540.
The central characters of Shardlake, and the likeable rogue Barak, are believable and engaging. The two mysteries are both interesting and allow us to wander around a London that is almost a character in itself, so firmly imagined and described, with familiar places that can still be walked today jostling with buildings and streets that are no more.
Highly recommended, and better than Dissolution, which although you will appreciate the character of Shardlake more if you have read the first in the series, is not essential for reading this novel. ( )
  CarltonC | Jan 24, 2018 |

Sansom, C. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjerre, TavsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabler, Irmengardsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaila, KatariinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sorbier, Françoise DuTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had left my house in Chancery Lane early, to go to the Guildhall to discuss a case in which I was acting for the City Council.

Matthew Shardlake has
To prove that his friend's niece did
Not commit murder.
(passion4reading)

From the acclaimed author of Dissolution comes a new sixteenth-century thriller featuring hunchback lawyer Matthew Shardlake. In 1540, during the reign of Henry VIII, Shardlake is asked to help a young girl accused of murder. She refuses to speak in her defense even when threatened with torture. But just when the case seems lost, Thomas Cromwell, the king’s feared vicar general, offers Shardlake two more weeks to prove his client’s innocence. In exchange, Shardlake must find a lost cache of "Dark Fire," a legendary weapon of mass destruction. What ensues is a page-turning adventure, filled with period detail and history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:14 -0400)

When a friend's niece is charged with murder and threatened with torture for her refusal to speak, 1540 lawyer Matthew Shardlake is granted a reprieve to investigate the case if he will also accept a dangerous assignment to find a legendary weapon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible