Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

Bad Girls Don't Die

by Katie Alender

English (77)  German (1)  All (78)
How do I start a review for this book?

Well, I guess I can start by asking..How pretty is that cover? But yet, kind of creepy isn't it?

How do I describe it without giving anything away?

Well....let's just say, there is some possession going on...evil & craziness!

This book starts off like any creepy type of book or even movie for that matter...Going on with normal life...with a little bit of...hmm..something strange is going on but brushes it off as my imagination kind of thing...then... for a while, they go on with life, school, work, etc...then a little bit into the book, the creepy begins to, well, creep in! (In about 7-8 chapters or so)

I knew that there was a good chance that I would like this book just by the summary and the first few sentences of this book....I really wanted to love this book, but it just turned out to a very, very strong liking!

I liked Alexis a lot...She could be a very sarcastic, funny, strange & straight forward person. I found myself laughing quite a few times because of her sarcasm (if you're not one who doesn't like sarcastic people, you probably won't like her too much, but seeing that I can be very sarcastic, I liked her! lol...she isn't over the top, evil sarcastic, but just enough to let you know she doesn't play well with stupidity).

In some parts of the book, it got kind of cheesy, and maybe even could see some things coming, but once you get past those parts, it really is a good book.

This book has two others following it...Not sure if that was intentional when she wrote this one, but at the end of this book, it ends at a point where if you chose not to go on, you don't have to. But, I will try the second book at least and hope I like it. Lately, I have been finding books with sequels, that I liked the first book a lot, I hated the 2nd or 3rd book. Hopefully it won't be the case with this one.

I've seen quite a few people talking about "Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer" by Katie Alender, but never this one...This is probably a book that people strongly like/love...or hate it...At least the way I see it...But this is a book I think more people need to read if you like a little creepy in your books. :-)
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
An excellent supernatural dramatic thriller of a novel. Starts out slow but really gets moving 1/4th of the way in; certainly worth a read by fans of the genre. There's some romance too, but after a while it's thankfully overshadowed by the action and suspense (good for me because I can't bloody stand Alexis/Carter). Quite well-done considering it's a debut book. ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
I have had this book on my shelf to read for some time. This ended up being a well done YA horror mystery with a heavy supernatural element to it.

The story was engaging and I breezed through it in one night. Parts of it were a bit predictable but it was still entertaining. The story never gets too gory or scary but is pretty creepy at times.

There are a lot of high school elements in the story as well (mean girls, bullying, etc). However the majority of the book does focus on the mystery behind what is happening to Alexis’s sister Kasey and the history of the house they move into.

Alexis was easy to engage with as a character. The writing flowed really well and the dialogue was written in a way that was snappy and natural sounding. This was just an easy book to get drawn into and read. The story wraps up nicely and doesn’t leave the reader hanging; this makes a good stand alone book (even though it’s the first of a trilogy).

Overall I enjoyed this YA horror mystery. I am not a huge fan of horror but I enjoyed both the mystery and supernatural elements to this story a lot. I would recommend to young adult readers who love creepy ghost stories and don’t mind some high school drama in their books. Right now I am uncertain as to whether or not I will pick up the rest of the books in the series; I enjoyed this book but I have a lot of other books to read right now. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 28, 2016 |
I couldn't put this book down! I had to force myself to stop reading and go to bed! This book is amazing it has just enough scary aspects to it as normal aspects, and just when you think it's gotten bad, boom! The scariness gets kicked up a notch! Alender really knows how to put the perfect about of scariness with a perfect amount of love and normalcy. ( )
  bethanyrenee13 | May 13, 2016 |
Sisters live with parents in creepy old house in small town. 13 yr. old sister Kasey starts acting weird and oldest sister Alexis finds out that she is possessed with the spirit of a former resident who died there years ago. Alexis realizes something is up but it is the cheerleader Megan, who she never socializes with, who makes this discovery because Megan has paranormal abilities. Alexis and Megan bond over this drama, and Alexis is also pursued by Student Body Vice President, who finds her standoffish manner charming somehow. Ghost/possession story with a very little bit of romance/high school drama involved. Kasey is a whiny character and her transformation is marked enough that anyone should have seen it--her eyes turn colors. What's up with clueless parents? Plot to kill all the descendents of the the girls who killed Sarah, the evil spirit, feels ridiculous. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Christopher
I stood perfectly still, looking up at the house and the dark sky beyond it. A band of mist drifted away from the moon, making way for the next set of clouds-what I hope would be the picturesque backdrop I'd been waiting for.

Alexis thought she led a typically dysfunctional high school existence. Dysfunctional like her parents' marriage; her doll-crazy thirteen-year-old sister, Kasey; and even her own anti-social, anti-cheerleader attitude.

When a family fight results in some tearful sisterly bonding, Alexis realizes that her life is creeping from dysfunction into danger. Kasey is acting stranger than ever: her blue eyes go green sometimes; she uses old-fashioned language; and she even loses track of chunks of time, claiming to know nothing about her strange behavior. Their old house is changing, too. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in.

Alexis wants to think that it's all in her head, but soon, what she liked to think of as silly parlor tricks are becoming life-threatening--to her, her family, and to her budding relationship with the student council vice president. Alexis knows she's the only person who can stop Kasey -- but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?

When fifteen-year-old Lexi's younger sister Kasey begins behaving strangely and their old Victorian house seems to take on a life of its own, Lexi investigates and discovers some frightening facts about previous occupants of the house, leading her to believe that many lives are in danger.… (more)

Katie Alender is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,434,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible