Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten

Detective Inspector Huss (original 1998; edition 2004)

by Helene Tursten, Steven T. Murray (Translator)

Member:Denise54
Title:Detective Inspector Huss
Authors:Helene Tursten
Other authors:Steven T. Murray (Translator)
Info:Soho Crime (2004), Paperback, 320 pages

Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten (1998)

English (20)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (23)
I’m beginning to get into Nordic mysteries so when I saw Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten (“first in the bestselling Swedish mystery series”) at Northshire Books in Saratoga Springs, NY, I had to do my civic independent bookstore duty and buy the book. It’s always best to start a series at the beginning, no?

Prominent Goteborg, Sweden businessman Richard von Knecht plunges to his death right in front of his wife and son who were exiting their car. Initially, the fall was considered a “Society Suicide” but no one could fathom why the ever lively, fun loving von Knecht would jump. When medical examiner Yvonne Stridner concludes that it is homicide, not suicide, the Violent Crimes team, composed of Detective Superintendent Swen Andersson, Detective Inspector Irene Huss and a battery of policemen and women, are soon involved. Of course, initially, no motive for murder seems plausible, but as the team digs, things are not what they seemed.

My only Nordic mystery reading experience consists of the dark, brooding mysteries of Arnaldur Indridason’s Inspector Erlendur mysteries, which I love. My viewing experience consists of the excellent The Bron (The Bridge) which is also dark and both the British and Swedish versions of Wallander (of which the former is dark and the latter, not so much). Therefore, I expected a darker than normal book, which is not really what I got.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Detective Inspector Huss and would definitely read the eight or so books in the series, but it wasn’t as compelling as Inspector Erlendur. Huss is approaching 40 and is feeling the uncertainty that goes along with aging. She’s got twin daughters who are going through their growing pains. All of this complicates an already complicated investigation. The secondary characters are interesting in their own right. In television lingo, it is a good ‘ensemble’ cast, which is good because there is an associated Swedish TV series, starring Angela Kovacs who starred in the initial season of Mankell’s Wallander.

There’s enough swift moving action to keep readers interested. Huss runs into a bunch of unsavory characters including Hell’s Angels and friends of von Knecht (just because you’re rich doesn’t mean you can’t be unsavory).

The only thing I found offputting was the sexism exhibited by some of the police team. The book was written in 1998, so maybe it was merely my 2016 mentality, but it didn’t ring true. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Oct 21, 2016 |
Procedural with all the normal give and take of departmental politics, quirky old fart rich dead guy, dysfunctional family, and Swedish cold. But this book is BORING. The writing is BORING. I can see how it could work better as a TV series, but I must say it one more time--BORING (and I lied. I did not finish it) ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
Well drawn characters and plotting. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Well drawn characters and plotting. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
This is another of those Swedish mystery series that have become so popular. I really liked this one. The main character is Irene Huss and she has a supportive husband, teenage twins, and a much more balanced life than most of the detectives in this kind of series (thinking of Wallender or Harry Hole). She gets into some life-threatening situations and actually takes the time afterward to work through it. She also doesn't totally ignore her family for her job and is still a dedicated detective. It was really refreshing. The plot was fast-paced and interesting. All around I really liked it and would like to read more from the series. My only reservation was that I didn't particularly like the translation. I looked up the later books, though, and there is a new translator for subsequent books. I was happy to see that and will be reading them as well. ( )
  japaul22 | Aug 17, 2014 |
Hilmerille ja Cecilialle
To Hilmer and Cecilia
Nobody saw him fall through the dense November darkness.
aka The Broken Tang Horse

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156947303X, Hardcover)

"Add the voice of Helen Tursten to the list of mystery writers who know how to craft a truly satisfying police procedural."—Philadelphia Inquirer

"An absorbing, intelligent mystery that holds its own alongside the best feminine hardboiled novels currently being written by Englishwomen Val McDermid and Liza Cody, and our own Sara Paretsky."—Maureen Corrigan, NPR, "Fresh Air," Washington Post Book World

"The picture Tursten provides of Sweden’s growing anti-immigrant resentment—embodied in Huss’ skinhead daughter—imbues this novel with a cold chill of dread that can’t be attributed only to the subfreezing temperatures of Göteborg in winter."—Chicago Sun-Times

Inspector Irene Huss, stationed in Göteborg, is called through the rain-drenched wintry streets to the scene of an apparent suicide. The dead man landed on the sidewalk in front of his luxurious duplex apartment. He was a wealthy financier connected, through an old-boys’ network, with the first families of Sweden. But the "Society Suicide" turns out to have been a carefully plotted murder. As more murders ensue, she tangles with street gang members, skinheads, immigrants and neo-Nazis—a cross-section of Sweden’s disaffected—in order to catch the killer.

Helene Tursten has been compared to P.D. James in her native Sweden. Her three subsequent Irene Huss mysteries have been highly praised. She was born in Göteborg in 1954 where she now lives.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:58 -0400)

After she learns that the apparent suicide of a prominent Swede she was called on to investigate was a carefully plotted murder, Inspector Irene Huss finds herself slogging through the seedy underbelly of Sweden to catch the killer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,747,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible