We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee

We Bought a Zoo (2008)

by Benjamin Mee

English (41)  Dutch (2)  All languages (43)
Most retirement plans do not include buying a broken down zoo. Mee’s story will give you a new appreciation for well-run family zoos. This is an excellent portrayal of relationships between generations and siblings. Keep in mind that the movie based on the book includes characters or relationships not necessary found within this book. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jun 8, 2016 |
This autobiographical book tells the story of Benjamin Mee, his family and their desire to purchase a run down zoo. Mr. Mee writes a do-it-yourself column, his siblings have a range of occupations, his mother is retired and his wife has just been diagnosed with a debilitating (and eventually fatal) illness. Why not buy a zoo? Mr. Mee tells his story in its entirety, touchingly describing his wife’s illness and death, truthfully detailing the frustrations faced in trying to purchase and run the zoo and some of the funnier moments involved in going after his dream.

I did enjoy reading this book and I applaud Mr. Mee and his family for doing what it takes to make a dream come true. My only disappointment in reading this book probably comes from having seen the trailers for the movie adaptation. I really wanted to some more stories about the animals.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I "read" this via audio book. As far as audio books are concerned, the narrator was just ok. Who knows, with a better narrator I might have enjoyed it a little more. But overall, it was a good story about Benjamin Mee and his family, and their unusual purchase of a rundown zoo in England. There were certainly heartwarming moments, particularly when Benjamin talked about his wife, Katherine, or the animals. He spends the majority of the book discussing the hard work that went into fixing and renovating the zoo, in an attempt to regain their license. It was a nice story, and I look forward to watching both the movie and the BBC special. ( )
  skrouhan | Apr 9, 2015 |
Do you have a crazy dream? What if someone gave you the opportunity to make you dream a reality? Would you take it? Benjamin Mee and family decided to jump at the chance when their wild wish suddenly became possible. When Benjamin saw a real estate add for a house with an attached zoo, he couldn't help but give it a shot. No one was more surprised than him when it actually happened.

Come along with the Mee's as they find out just how much work it takes to make a crazy dream a reality. ( )
  Juva | Apr 8, 2015 |
Good story of how Benjamin Mee and his family purchase and refurbish a run down zoo in Devon. The funds for the purchase come from Mee's mother who is recently widowed and sells her family home. He is helped by his siblings and his wife and children. It is a large hill to climb to obtain funds, trained staff and manage to prepare the park for a re-opening. They must remove tons of rubbish and detritus in order to start over all the while caring for the many exotic and endangered animals. Mee's wife Katherine dies during this process of a brain tumour which is very tragic. His reaction is to throw himself into the renovation with immense vigor. They obtain their licence to re-open and after a few months, the zoo is a success. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Mar 18, 2015 |
Mum and I arrived as the new owners of Dartmoor Wildlife Park in Devon for the first time at around six o'clock on the evening of 20 October 2006, and stepped out of the car to the sound of wolves howling in the misty darkness.

A former British newspaper columnist describes how he uprooted his family to the English countryside and purchased a dilapidated zoo, home to more than two hundred exotic animals, which he planned to refurbish and reopen as a family business, a scheme complicated by a lack of money, skeptical staff, family tension, and his wife's devastating illness.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Benjamin Mee's book We Bought a Zoo was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,323,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible