First Test by Tamora Pierce
adventure (45) children (16) children's (26) fantasy (570) female protagonist (15) fiction (191) heroine (18) kel (20) Keladry (19) knighthood (15) knights (76) magic (66) medieval (17) own (17) paperback (14) pierce (16) Protector of the Small (99) Protector of the Small Series (23) read (41) series (65) sff (29) Tamora Pierce (55) teen (29) to-read (23) Tortall (152) unread (15) YA (137) YA Fantasy (16) young adult (199) young adult fiction (17)

I like Keladry, but this first book has relatively few of my favorite scenes. The world is already quite familiar to me - I read Alanna as the books came out - so there's not a lot of worldbuilding going on (that I notice). The characters that are introduced are mostly pretty opaque - Kel herself, and to some extent Neal, reveal themselves at least in part. Lord Wyldon, though, keeps as bland a face as Kel's Yamani stoneface - until his last appearance, we get basically no insight into him. Kel's enemies among the pages, the various senior squires and knights and others in the palace, and even the friends she makes among the pages are little more than background and very simple actions - _why_ does Joren behave that way? Why does Baron Myles offer friendship? No clues, beyond the actions themselves. Which is not to say it's not an enjoyable story - I think I like Keladry best of all the Tortallan heroes. Just - this isn't my favorite of her quartet. Next, please! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 13, 2014 |
This was my very first Tamora Pierce book. I read it at age 12, and it started a love for this author that has not swayed to this day. ( )
  EmilieM | Oct 27, 2013 |
Keladry is, quite frankly, the best female hero I've ever had the pleasure of reading about. Shockingly mature for her age, she faces challenges that most young girls don't have to worry about (as well as some challenges all girls DO have to worry about). As the first female knight since the Lioness, who masqueraded as a man to complete her knighthood, Keladry has to be strong and stoic despite her age. I would recommend this book to anyone in just about any age group. I first read it when I was eleven, and I still reread the whole series about once a year over ten years later. It has the perfect blend of inspiration, fantasy, realism, and adventure. Throughout the series there is just a hint of romance without affecting the plot or even the characters. Over all, I think this is Tamora Pierce's best series (and I do like them all). ( )
  blparrow | Sep 8, 2013 |
I'm still very pleased with Ms. Pierce. Keladry's another great character.

The main source I use to see what age group a book is marketed to lists this as YA, 12 and up. I found this first book of the quartet to read more like middle grade or that 11 to 14 or 15 that straddles MG & YA which I labeled juvenile-ya among my bookshelves here. It lists the couple books I checked from the Song of the Lioness as 11 to 14 and that series read more like YA to me. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
A lovely re-read, this series helped ease my Tamora Pierce craving while still too close to my last Alanna/Daine re-reads to be able to do back to that series. Kelandry on her own isn't quite as unique (more of a blend of both of the prior heroines I mentioned), but I like how Pierce explores a character without magic succeeding in this world. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenneson, JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jacqueline Korn and Bruce Hunter, the embodiment of English grace.
To Mallory, who totally made it happen (1999 Random House Fantasy paperback edition)
Alanna the Lioness, the King's Champion, could hardly contain her glee.

"You have one year in which to prove that you can keep up with the boys. If you do not satisfy me on that count, you will go home."

It's ten years since royal decree permitted girls to train as knights. No one applied - until now. Keladry of Mindelan is determined to follow in the footsteps of the nation's greatest legend: Alanna, Lioness of Tortall. She's in for a nasty surprise.

The royal training master, Lord Wyldon of Cavall, thinks girls should stick to embroidery. He will take her for one year only - on probation. If Keladry doesn't meet his exacting standards, she's out.

It seems so unfair. Keladry knows she's equal to any of the boys, but how can she hope to succeed when Lord Wyldon's mind is already made up?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679889175, Mass Market Paperback)

In the medieval and fantastic realm of Tortall, Keladry of Mindelan is the first girl to take advantage of the decree that permits females to train for knighthood.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:25 -0400)

Ten-year-old Keladry of Mindalen, daughter of nobles, serves as a page but must prove herself to the males around her if she is ever to fulfill her dream of becoming a knight.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible