First Test by Tamora Pierce
3,205371,734 (4.07)83

Description: Tamora Pierce returns to the land of Tortall with a heroine who refuses to quit in this first book in the #1 New York Times bestselling Protector of the Small series.

Ten years after knighthood training was opened to both males and females, no girl has been brave enough to try. But knighthood is Keladry's one true desire, and so she steps forward to put herself to the test.

Up against the traditional hazing of pages and a grueling schedule, Kel faces one roadblock that seems insurmountable: Lord Wyldon, the training master of pages and squires. He is absolutely against girls becoming knights. So while he is forced to train her, Wyldon puts her on a probationary trial period that no male page has ever had to endure. Further set apart from her fellow trainees, Kel's path to knighthood is now that much harder. But she is determined to try, and she's making friends in the most unlikely places. One thing is for sure, Kel is not a girl to underestimate.

Thoughts: My main worry for this series is that it's going to return to the insanely brisk pace that the Alanna series had, which was my major complaint. Other than that, I like that we're back in the castle training with the pages instead of hoping all over the world like Daine did.

It's nice to see Kel's journey as a female page, since Alanna's training story didn't get to cover the issues a girl really faces in the "boy's world" of knighthood training. So far, Kel has come up against the same issues of bullying, constant training, and working extra hard to prove that she's as good as everyone else, but Kel also faces outright discrimination from some of the other pages and even her superoirs. It's nice to watch her face up to these with not only strength and positivity, but with a compassion for others.

I think foggidawn might be right in her preference of this quartet over the others. Hopefully it holds back it's breakneck pace.

Rating: 3.58

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 3.5
Audio: 3.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/188600#5167082 ( )
  leahbird | Jul 20, 2015 |
It's been many years since I first read the Alanna books as a young teen myself. I loved the story of Alanna, daring to pretend to be a boy and seek the honor and responsibility of becoming a knight of the realm. It was so wonderful to see a girl out there kicking butt, doing magic, and being a hero.

So when I discovered there was a series about another girl trying to become a knight, some years after Alanna's success, I was hesitant. Hadn't I already read that story? Would it really be engaging and new?

Well, I'm sorry I doubted because Kel's story is indeed engaging and new. For one, she's not pretending to be a boy. She's earning her way as a girl, and fighting for every inch of respect. And she's definitely her own person: quiet and reserved, but fierce in defense of the weak and thoroughly dedicated to her purpose.

Alanna may have paved the way, but Kel doesn't have it easy. I love a good underdog story, and FIRST TEST delivers that, along with a "school" setting, magic, adventure, nastiness and warmth, prejudice and compassion, plus some very insightful comments on bullying and the moral responsibilities of those with power.

I am definitely looking forward to the rest of this series!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I almost burst into tears when I finished this book. My reaction took me by surprise because I've read First Test at least four or five times. It shouldn't still affect me like this, but it does. It's a fairly simple story, but I love it so very much, and I adore Kel.

The only thing I can recall being interested in when I was younger that was "for boys only" was comics. There was this comic shop right near my high school that I used to go to during my lunch period. It had a fabulous bargain section, perfect for someone just starting out and still trying to figure out their tastes. I'd buy something every week or two and put up with the grumpy guy who owned the place. Except I eventually figured out he wasn't grumpy with everyone, just me. He was nice and helpful towards adults and teenage boys, while I got lectured about the way I touched the comics, or about being in the store too long without buying something. After a while, I stopped buying individual comics and just read graphic novels, which I could get at bookstores or libraries. No more grumpy comic shop guy.

Kel dealt with a lot more than just lectures. After Alanna the Lioness became the first female knight (by spending several years pretending to be a boy), it was proclaimed that girls could become pages. Ten years later, Keladry of Mindelan became the first girl to request to become a page. Her request was granted, but, to satisfy Lord Wyldon, the hidebound training master, she was put on probation for a year.

Like I said, this story was pretty simple. There were no “dark political intrigue” subplots, just “can Kel make it through her training and be accepted back next year?” She had an uphill battle. The boys wrecked her room, hardly anyone wanted to be her sponsor, and bullies picked on her whenever the teachers weren't looking. No one expected her to be around next year.

Kel was quite possibly the most mature 10-year-old ever, stoically putting up with a certain level of treatment and fighting back when her sense of justice demanded it and the rules permitted it (sort of). She had spent six years of her life living in the Yamani Islands (the fantasy equivalent of Japan?) with her parents and had picked up the Yamani custom of hiding her feelings and controlling her emotions. She had also had a little bit of weapons training, because even the most timid of Yamani court ladies got such training.

Kel was probably the most perfect possible first official female page, but she wasn't disgustingly so. She'd get frustrated from time to time, and her brutal schedule and the bullying she had to endure meant she couldn't always finish all her coursework. Her prior weapons training sometimes meant she had habits she needed to unlearn when learning to use similar but differently handled weapons.

I enjoyed Kel's growing friendships with the various other pages, and I liked Neal, her sponsor. As a fan of fantasy animal companions, Kel's little flock of sparrows and grumpy Peachblossom made me happy. Kel wasn't magically gifted herself (which I actually kind of liked), but some of the other characters were. Bonedancer, a living archaeopteryx skeleton, Numair, a mage, and Daine, a Wildmage, all made appearances.

The only way my copy of this book is ever leaving my possession is if I one day gift it to one of my nieces or it falls apart.

A map of the kingdom of Tortall, a "cast of characters" section, and a glossary.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jul 20, 2014 |
I like Keladry, but this first book has relatively few of my favorite scenes. The world is already quite familiar to me - I read Alanna as the books came out - so there's not a lot of worldbuilding going on (that I notice). The characters that are introduced are mostly pretty opaque - Kel herself, and to some extent Neal, reveal themselves at least in part. Lord Wyldon, though, keeps as bland a face as Kel's Yamani stoneface - until his last appearance, we get basically no insight into him. Kel's enemies among the pages, the various senior squires and knights and others in the palace, and even the friends she makes among the pages are little more than background and very simple actions - _why_ does Joren behave that way? Why does Baron Myles offer friendship? No clues, beyond the actions themselves. Which is not to say it's not an enjoyable story - I think I like Keladry best of all the Tortallan heroes. Just - this isn't my favorite of her quartet. Next, please! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 13, 2014 |
This was my very first Tamora Pierce book. I read it at age 12, and it started a love for this author that has not swayed to this day. ( )
  EmilieM | Oct 27, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenneson, JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jacqueline Korn and Bruce Hunter, the embodiment of English grace.
To Mallory, who totally made it happen (1999 Random House Fantasy paperback edition)
Alanna the Lioness, the King's Champion, could hardly contain her glee.

"You have one year in which to prove that you can keep up with the boys. If you do not satisfy me on that count, you will go home."

It's ten years since royal decree permitted girls to train as knights. No one applied - until now. Keladry of Mindelan is determined to follow in the footsteps of the nation's greatest legend: Alanna, Lioness of Tortall. She's in for a nasty surprise.

The royal training master, Lord Wyldon of Cavall, thinks girls should stick to embroidery. He will take her for one year only - on probation. If Keladry doesn't meet his exacting standards, she's out.

It seems so unfair. Keladry knows she's equal to any of the boys, but how can she hope to succeed when Lord Wyldon's mind is already made up?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679889175, Mass Market Paperback)

In the medieval and fantastic realm of Tortall, Keladry of Mindelan is the first girl to take advantage of the decree that permits females to train for knighthood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

Ten-year-old Keladry of Mindalen, daughter of nobles, serves as a page but must prove herself to the males around her if she is ever to fulfill her dream of becoming a knight.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible