I Am a Cat: Three Volumes in One by Soseki…

I Am a Cat: Three Volumes in One (edition 2001)

by Soseki Natsume, Aiko Ito (Translator), Graeme Wilson (Translator)

Member:oboe2000
Title:I Am a Cat: Three Volumes in One
Authors:Soseki Natsume
Other authors:Aiko Ito (Translator), Graeme Wilson (Translator)
Info:Tuttle Publishing (2001), Paperback, 656 pages
Rating:**

I Am a Cat by Sōseki Natsume

Recently added bypreeti.arunapuram, pamar, aleguc, private library, cupocofe, Laiane, SigmundFraud, -sunny-, gamasennin

English (15)  Spanish (6)  Catalan (1)  All languages (22)
What a meandering read. And what an ending. I enjoyed parts of this book, but never fully cared about any of the characters. This made it harder to get through. I also didn't like the way it changed from being the catlike viewpoint of the cat, to being the anthropomorphised viewpoint of the cat, to finally being a series of observations that happened to be presented as being the viewpoint of the cat. I'm glad I read other works by Sōseki first, because if this had been my first encounter with him, I might have wondered what the fuss was about. ( )
  missizicks | Apr 9, 2014 |
Filosofía oriental felina. Extraordinario. ( )
  darioha | Feb 10, 2014 |
Spassoso.
Sōseki si cela dietro la pelliccia e le vibrisse di un gatto, intento a osservare con con ironia e superiorità il Giappone dell'Epoca Meiji, che si apre con estremi un po' modaioli all'occidentalizzazione voluta dalla corte imperiale.
Il gatto, a cui nessuno ha dato un nome, segue le vicende del suo padrone, un professore di inglese, misantropo e sofferente di stomaco, che improvvisa haiku e dipinge acquerelli con scarsi risultati, compra libri che non legge e, se li legge, presto si appisola al tavolo di lavoro. Attorno al professore orbitano altri personaggi, caricature dei tipi intellettuali del tempo, che diventano vittime degli strali dell'io narrante dalle sembianze feline: l’esteta dagli occhiali cerchiati d’oro, che racconta falsità a non finire per darsi un tono; il buddhista zen fanatico e incoerente; il poeta che, su ordinazione, compone poesie d’occasione."Le zampe dei gatti, ovunque si posino, sono così silenziose che non tradiscono mai la loro presenza, quasi calpestassero il cielo o le nuvole. Sono come un gong suonato sott'acqua o un koto pizzicato in una grotta, sono l'intuizione muta e immediata delle delizie della vita. [...] Vado dove voglio, ascolto quel che mi garba, dopodiché tiro fuori la lingua, agito la coda, drizzo i baffi e me ne torno indisturbato a casa." ( )
  Kazegafukuhi | Aug 10, 2013 |
Others have warned that the introduction to this book gives too much away. I agree. Resist the urge to read it, as major events are spelled out within the first page or so.

I read the first volume of this many years ago and, remembering it very fondly, bought this edition of all three volumes in 1 as a little present to myself. Having looked at some reader reviews, I was nervous that the second and third volumes might not stand up to the first. Happily, I found that I enjoyed them just as much. I'm not the kind of person who needs a traditional story arc/plot - just "visiting" with very interesting, well-written characters is enough for me. It doesn't bother me that no one, big, significant thing is worked out across these many pages - several small things happen that are almost always very interesting and often very funny. Sometimes the small things are connected, sometimes not. Much like life, really.

Some reviewers said they didn't know enough about Japanese Meiji period life to get much out of this book. To me, that was irrelevant. Human beings have so many similarities, no matter the era or location, and I was struck by the many concerns we, in the Western world during the early years of the 21st century, have in common with this mishmash of characters in a Japan that was straddling an older, traditional society and the influence of the Western world, at the very beginning of the 20th century. I enjoyed immersing myself in those aspects of the story that were alien to me, learning something new about a foreign culture.

The cat, whose inner thoughts we follow through his first and second years of life, is wonderfully grumpy - practically as curmudgeonly as his un-worldly Master - while also being astoundingly learned and insightful. I was particularly tickled by his extremely high opinion of himself and his abilities both mental - apparently fully justified - and physical - hilariously unjustified, if we consider his one rat-hunting attempt and various other clumsy falls and scrapes.

I will be looking out for more Natsume Sōseki to read on the basis of this one. ( )
  Vivl | Apr 5, 2013 |
Read on the airplane.

A humorous and very feline book. One of the quirks of translation is that the word 'I' in the title refers to a word which in Japanese is reserved for nobility - such is the nature of cats.

It's long and meandering, a bit dull at times - but the tone is distinctive, and remains uniquely catlike. When you hear the word 'my master', you almost think as though he's laughing at it.

The ending is abrupt, but one might think that the author simply ran out of ideas, and ended it there. Still not a bad book by any definition. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

Sōseki Natsumeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ito, AikoTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, GraemeTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a cat.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080483265X, Paperback)

Written over the course of 1904-6, Soseki's comic masterpiece, I Am a Cat, satirizes the follies of upper-middle-class Japanese society during the Meiji era. With acerbic wit and sardonic perspective, it follows the whimsical adventures of a world-weary stray kitten who comments on the follies and foibles of the people around him.

The New Yorker called it "a nonchalant string of anecdotes and wisecracks, told by a fellow who doesn't have a name, and has never caught a mouse, and isn't much good for anything except watching human beings in action..."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,273,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible