Animals Born Alive and Well (Picture Books)…

Animals Born Alive and Well (Picture Books) (original 1982; edition 1999)

by Ruth Heller

Title:Animals Born Alive and Well (Picture Books)
Authors:Ruth Heller
Info:Putnam Juvenile (1999), Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Animals- Forest

Animals Born Alive and Well by Ruth Heller (1982)

This book is almost like a biology lesson distinctly designed for children to understand and comprehend. It provides the readers a look at the true definition of a mammal while giving examples that are easy to relate too.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed the book because of the poetry and wording of provided in the text. Of course this type of knowledge we are aware of, but to children it gives insight into a topic most are unaware of. I personally enjoyed the illustrations and way the author made this subject appeal to almost anyone.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I think this is a great book for all students in the classroom. Animals lovers or students who have pets can relate and learn from the topic.
  Ashton.Watson | Feb 5, 2014 |
This book is almost like a child's intro to biology (or mammalogy really), which I like and I think any child would find interesting. However, maybe I'm nitpicking, but the way the book was written is really odd to me. At first it starts out rhyming, then on certain pages it stops or has breaks between pages that don't flow well. This makes it a bit difficult to read with any rhythm. I thought the pictures were well-done, except they seemed bland. Just animals kind of hanging out on a page not doing anything. I think any child would love to read this book, but I felt like a lot more could be done, both creatively and educationally, to make this book a lot better. ( )
  bereneezypie | Apr 25, 2013 |
In Ruth Heller's Chickens Aren't the Only Ones, young readers learn how most animals reproduce by laying eggs. In this book, its companion volume, they see that in contrast, (most) mammals give birth to their young. Thus, they come to see how humans and other mammals share a natural affinity based on a common reproductive practices that include gestation and birth, maternal care, and provision of milk. Animals Born Alive and Well is nicely illustrated, with minimal, simple text, often in the form of ryhmes. One drawback to the book is that the author missed the chance to show that live- bearing reproduction is also found in many fishes, sharks, lizards, snakes, and even some insects (the oversight is odd, given the author's interests in natural history). However, as an introduction to an important aspect of animal reproductive diversity, children will likely find this book attractive, informative, and enjoyable. ( )
4 vote danielx | Jun 20, 2011 |

Ruth Hellerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heller, Ruthmain authorall editionsconfirmed

From the largest whale to the smallest shrew, Animals Born Alive and Well offers a wealth of information on mammals, and a source of pleasure for any nature lover with a new eye-catching cover!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

Text and illustrations introduce animals with fur or hair who nurse their young, breathe fresh air, and except for two species give birth to their young alive instead of laying eggs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible