Can You Count to a Googol? by Robert E.…

Can You Count to a Googol? (edition 2000)

by Robert E. Wells, Robert E. Wells (Illustrator)

Member:Sandra_Loya
Title:Can You Count to a Googol?
Authors:Robert E. Wells
Other authors:Robert E. Wells (Illustrator)
Info:Albert Whitman & Company (2000), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:nonfiction picture books, 32p, math, 3-6

Can You Count to a Googol? by Robert E. Wells

This book is good for the concept of "large numbers". It continually multiples the number by ten until reaching a googol. I really enjoyed how the book including real facts within it. I did not like the unrealistic aspects however. I think this would be a good book for younger students to learn large numbers. I think having the students multiply one by ten to fill in certain space would be a fun way of incorporating this into a lesson. ( )
  MeganSchneider | Apr 18, 2017 |
"Can You Count to a Googol?" is a picture book that teaches the reader about multiplication, starting at 1 and ending at a Googol(a number with 100 zeros). This book explains in imaginative illustrations what 1 multiplied by 10 looks like, what 10 multiplied by 10 looks like, and so on. The illustrations catch the eye and create an interactive experience in learning multiplication. I would read this with my own students one day to show them how math can be full of fun and imagination. ( )
  goreyes | Nov 26, 2016 |
This is such a cute book explaining the number one all the way to a googol, the largest number to ever be recorded. Through out this book we go on a journey to discover a really really really big number. The book starts with one, then 100, to 1000 and so on until we get to the number a googol. The illustrations are what makes this book so interactive. They are colorful and portray many different animals. I would use this book in my class because the author uses great metaphors to explain the larger numbers like a million and a billion. ( )
  Jmreed1 | Apr 18, 2016 |
This is very informational as most kids have heard of googol but don't really know what it means but does know it is a large number. The book does a great job of explaining zeros and how googol got its name. I would highly recommend this book. Genre, informational as it tells about zeros and how googol got named. Media, water colors. ( )
  robe0605 | Apr 1, 2016 |
Liked this book about number sense just as much as [b:Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?|13783339|Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?|Robert E. Wells|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348993204s/13783339.jpg|1045406]. It explains big numbers in the best way I can think of to get a feel for them. I nice touch at the end was the last page spread that explained how to come up with the representations used in the book, for instance how do we figure out "how big a stack 1,000,000 dollar bills would make", or that "100 eagles could really take you for a ride" ... ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |

Introduces the concepts of very large numbers, up to a googol, and multiples of ten.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,147,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible